1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have solid bench.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Dec 30, 2019.

1. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Keep in mind we took to of the greatest scores of this generation out of the lineup and we produced 29 assists at 50% shooting. What we lacked ws decisive leadership and precise decision making as well as playmaking. Thats what stars do plus we missed a guy that averages a double double and rim defender. We should lose a game like this when these guys have never played an actual game without their stars. Our guys are good. What we need is to get this level of shooting and play when the stars are back

Rocket River and kjayp like this.
  2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think we have a good bench... but unfortunately too much of our roster doesnt get any consistent play - so they're not in the swing of things on the rare occasion when they do make it on the floor...

not so cleverly disguised MDA dig... lol ;)

xtruroyaltyx and fattz like this.
  3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I don't think the bench is bad, but I don't think a lot of them get consistent minutes so they don't get into a consistent rhythm when they do play. We see games last night when they get minutes they are capable but we won't see much or any of some of them at all when Harden and Westbrook are healthy.

fattz likes this.
  4. Bobby Jackson Rules

I agree that our bench is solid, but I also agree that this roster is not enough for the championship. One wing with size who can defend, rebound, and shoot 3 is needed for us to be a true contender.

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Compared to all the other playoff teams, yes we have a solid but not outstanding bench unit. However, we're not trying to just make the playoffs, if that were the case, then we're absolutely achieving that. If you browse CF long enough it seems many posters here are just fine with us making the playoffs and not aiming for the title. My question is how many decades are we going wait to be satisfied with just a playoff appearance?

Superstars like James Harden don't grow on trees and us acquiring him from OKC is already considered a blessing. We might not have a chance like this again for the next 20 years.

Since Morey took over as GM, our only goal was to win it all and we have yet to do that.

Our biggest issues is another defensive piece (preferably a forward) which our owner refuses to pay for (because we'll go over the tax) and our huge weakness of our Harden ISO gameplan which our coach refuses to address because he's on the last year of possibly his last contract in the league (on his way to retirement)

Basically Harden gets doubled and we have an off shooting night = automatic loss, even against the worst teams in the league. Westbrook has been very inconsistent throughout the season, even when we thought his fingers healed, he's been like this his entire career so it's not anything new.

#45 RocketsFido, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  6. icewill36

icewill36 Member

we still a backup 4.... that is the most biggest hole in this roster. im still not sold on clark.

hartenstein is solid. if he can keeps getting minutes by the end of the year he should be confident in what he can do in the NBA and our permanent backup for clint.

7. icewill36

icewill36 Member

we literally just won the last game harden played (and was doubled) by 10 points and we had a terrible shooting night, and it was against a +.500 team.

8. TimDuncanDonaut

Bench unit of other contenders. Can our bench stack up against them offensive and defensively?

East
    Bucks: Connaughton, George Hill, Ilyasova, Korver, Robin Lopez
    Celtics: Marcus Smart, Kanter,
    Raptors: McCaw, Ibaka, Terence Davis, Cris Boucher
    Miami: Dragic, Tyler Herro, Derrick Jones Jr. Olynyk

West
    Lakers: Kuzma or Danny Green, Caldwell-Pope, Caruso, Rondo, Dwight Howard
    Clippers: M. Harrell, Landry Shamet, Lou Will, Pat Patt, Rodney McGruder.
    Mavericks: Seth Curry, Maxi Kleber, Justin Jackson, Delon Wright

Is Eric Gordon going to start at the 3 or come off as 6th man. Say if Rockets goes with House as starter. (Russ/Harden/House/Tucker/Capela). Then our 2nd unit would be:

Rockets: Rivers, Gordon, McLemore. If MDA willing then Clemons, Clark and iHart. Situationally maybe: Thabo and Tyson.

To save Tuck and Capela from tired legs, then Clark and iHart can help and bring some height.

#48 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Chamillionaire likes this.
  9. Chamillionaire

Is Eric Gordon going to start at the 3 or come off as 6th man. Say if Rockets goes with House as starter. (Russ/Harden/House/Tucker/Capela). Then our 2nd unit would be:

Rockets: Rivers, Gordon, McLemore. If MDA willing then Clemons, Clark and iHart. Situationally maybe: Thabo and Tyson.

To save Tuck and Capela from tired legs, then Clark and iHart can help and bring some height.[/QUOTE]

We really need a 4/5. Bertans would really put us over the top.

10. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I feel like anybody decent like that will have the refs calling silly fouls against once they adorn a Rockets jersey... PJ Tucker and Draymond Green are the closest to Rodman. There are notable s that I'm probably unaware of.

bj3175 and Rocket River like this.
  11. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

We should just trade Clark for Ingram

12. fattz

fattz Member

As long as the 3 first round picks they throw in are ALL unconditional; otherwise it’s just not going to happen.

iNoseBleedRed and Rocket River like this.
  13. Philter_09

Philter_09 Member

Alec Burks anyone? Legit 6”6 6”7 swingman. Just sayin.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The question with finding bench players
    Is not.....are they good
    It is.... Will DanAndToni play them

Rocket River

15. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

GS wants a first. I like Burks a lot, but I'm not sure about a first. He will be an interesting addition to whomever gets him.

Philter_09 likes this.
  16. icewill36

icewill36 Member

We need a 4/5 not another guard. He is too small

I will be very disappointed if I hear we did not even attempt to bring in Jeff green. We can’t do any better than that for cheap.

D-rock likes this.
  17. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Gordon would be the best bench player in my opinion (in comparison to all other contenders bench). Rivers is as good or better than most teams number 2. I think we should be really competitive as far as the bench is concerned. at the end of the day it will all come down to how well we shoot the 3 ball and which team will sign key players post trade deadline (which we all know we wont do)

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Dan’dummy doesn’t play the young guys as much as he should and I don’t care what anyone says, Harden needs to do more on offense besides be the greatest iso player ever.

The other guys don’t really get in a rhythm and no one else can do what he does, so when he passes them the ball and just stands there expecting them to iso and create like he does of course it’s not going to work.

Harden doesn’t need much motion in the offense, but everyone else absolutely does and this would also make better use of Westbrook because he is not a spot up shooter. And he’s not a good iso player either. So getting him in positions in the half court where he can catch the ball already on the move or have teammates moving finding seams in the defense would be ideal.

The guys we currently have are talented. They each have useable skill sets. This roster is talented enough as is to go toe to toe with the top teams in the nba if they play the right way. To win it all an upgrade somewhere is probably needed, but we can definitely improve by doing some simple things with what’s already here.

19. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

they must also include a clause where if we draft some crappy player with those draft picks, we get new draft picks

20. edwardc

edwardc Member

That about says it all you hit the nail right on the head.