1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have made a trade, pending league approval (UPDATE: Padgett for Tsakalidis)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 13, 2007.

Tags:
  1. ultimatepaki

ultimatepaki Member

i guess im okay with Tsakilidis...they need a body to lay off the load of deke.
    its not like padgett played much anyways. i must admit he is a good cheerleader though...more so than Vmac at least :D

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Huh.

Didn't see that coming.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Hope that's sarcasm...

Scott brings us NOTHING.

And Jake perhaps can take some of the load off of Deke while Yao is on his ass.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

agreed. wish we could have gotten someone unproven like Sampson at minimum, though, to give some future hope. Instead of a proven nothing like Jake..

oh well, nothing lost. And Deke's minutes should be spared for 5 weeks till Yao is back. Still.. yuck that he'll get mins at all (Jake)

5. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

Come on!
    At least Jake Tsakalidis had his best season last year :rolleyes:

6. Rockets Dynasty

Remember you can always make two trades simultaneously involving the TE, this would also be needed to avoid having 16 players if you did not want to pay a buyout and also if you wanted to cut salary to avoid the tax.

Example Atkins would add $3.8 million salary, which puts the Rockets into tax land and gives them 16 players.

Simply cutting a player might not save them from the tax, it could also make it easier to faciltate the other team.

I'm not saying this is the case nor suggesting it is at all, I'm just saying that's how they got Mike James.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

at least Jake can guard bigger centers (sort of)

this way Deke's legs stay a bit fresher

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I love when trades come through and no one knows what they will be beforehand. The reactions are hilarious. Everyone thinks it is going to be some major deal and when it turns out to be really minor, panic ensues.

Padgett had no place on this team. All of you guys who want to keep him, remember that he would only be taking minutes from Novak if he played.

Getting a big man like Jake who can do some rebounding and play a couple spots on the front line - a place where the team needs veteran help - makes sense. It's not a big trade, nor is it exciting, but neither was the second round pick we sent to Portland for Mario Elie at the time.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

He is better than Majecj(sp?) cant find rim to layup Lampe.

Big Jake is a 6 foul and OK player.

10. Sextuple Double

I can't say I'm pissed but for sure I'm not looking forward to anything. I don't even know what to expect of him in games, if he even plays, which I doubt. I'll start my expectations of him at nothing.

11. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

It says the salaries don't match, but you can't package a TE with a player. Is it possible that this trade created a new TE that expires in another year?

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

For those of you upset over losing Padgett, the Rockets were just going to have to waive him anyway if they acquired ANY player. They weren't going to waive Sura, since his contract is so valuable.

The way the Rockets figure, better to have a scrub center at the end of the bench (just in case) than to have a non-center scrub at the end of the bench.

Splash.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Why would the Rockets - a team with designs on the playoffs - want anyone unproven for the future?

14. FFz

FFz Member

okay so basically we helped grizzlies save 1.9 million dollars and maybe help them tank a little bit more.

You gotta respect CD for not trying to rip anyone off. Jesus he didn't even get a 2nd round pick out of 1.9 million dollars.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like Jake, and the energy he brings to the table. He is a big with a decent BBall IQ too.

Padget was not going to be a factor, and Jake might play a little so it is an upgrade for us.

DD

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Another big body and hope he can't sub Deke a bit, nothing special but nothing terrible either

17. Sextuple Double

Don't speak to soon, John Amaechi might be next.

18. tmega21

tmega21 Rookie

Please...explain to me how you can call it a horrible trade when the guy we shipped out WASN'T PLAYING haha...at the worst it can be an insignificant trade, but horrible??? If big Jake hits the court and grabs a couple rebounds it'll be a good trade...Padgett as good of a guy as he was, was essentially an old Novak and had zero future with the Rox...atleast Jake might hang around and backup Yao when Deke retires...no splash but I say a solid deal by CD

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'm certainly not in a state of panic. Just saying, if we were going for a backup big, I would have preferred we get an unproven. He's not going to get a LOT of mins right now...and he'll get little to none once Yao is back.

And I'm definitely not worrying about Padgett leaving...even though I was one of his biggest supporters

20. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

He's one ugly mother, but atleast he can spell Deke a bit until Yao gets back.