1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have been researching refs and how they are calling games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Apr 28, 2019.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Take the report public.

Show the data.

DD

2. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Do you know why he doesn't employ it anymore? Because refs stopped calling that. They are the ones who can say "Harden, stop doing this". They have that power. The only problem I have with them is timing of their choice to change how they ref certain moves players do

kjayp likes this.
  3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but if the rockets are only given the data on how they were disadvantaged, how is this meaningful in any way? Like it says the rockets were screwed out of 90 points but they don’t know how many points the warriors missed due to calls, right? I feel like this leak could majorly backfire if the warriors report says they missed 100 points from bad calls, or something like that. We don’t really have any way of knowing that the rockets are actually at a disadvantage here? Or do these reports include the full recount for both teams?

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

So not only Houston fans are annoying about "ref bias", so is Morty.

Amirite dipshit hot take sports writers?

5. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

They get the entire game report from games they play. This includes calls for both teams. The Warriors get the same report for these games.

dje243, luckyman76, bro2044 and 4 others like this.
  6. biff17

biff17 Member

Nobody b****es to the refs more than Warriors do, so why does it not affect them negatively?

7. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I want to know the full game total for Game 1. It has got to be one of the most lopsided rig jobs ever.

luckyman76 and clutchdabear like this.
  8. TheresTheDagger

As Morey said today....they've been trying since 2006 to get the league to address this.

I'm thinking this story drop/leak is the decision of the entire franchise braintrust -- Fertitta, Tad Brown, Morey as a last resort since they NBA has done essentially nothing.

If you're gonna go down, might as well take the league with ya.

dje243, luckyman76, Deuce and 6 others like this.
  9. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

The NBA has always been at least slightly rigged (to varying degrees) for big market teams... And few markets have been bigger than the Warriors right now.

It's always funny to me when someone tries to tell me how it's a "copout" or just "excuses" or "nonsense conspiracy theory" when sports fans blame the refs. As if officiating doesn't matter... or as if in this world, where everything from politics to private enterprise to even our dating and social lives is tainted by money, it's so difficult to imagine that a pro sports league might rig games to favor the more profitable outcome.

It's just sad that a 73-win team that then added KEVIN EFFING DURANT needs this much help from the officiating to win games against us...

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

well i would mention that I dont see the other team we are playing (who we are beating more often than not) b****in at the same rate we do - even in victory....

and yes, i believe our past indiscretions and constant jawing may be contributing to the reason for the poor officiating we are enduring....

The question isnt if we are experiencing bad calls - but rather why are we experiencing bad calls... which is the topic I am discussing...

and yes, I believe we should 'play through it' - or would you rather we throw our hands up and walk off the court crying because 'its not fair...'?

but of course... in usual jordnnn fashion... you want to get all indignant and belittling... muddy the water with other separate discussions (MDA's incompetence or whether harden is a chocker) to create some pseudo strawman argument so you can try to feel more knowledgeable and superior...

...whatever, man....

#50 kjayp, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  11. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Wow. This article has already been picked up by Bleacher Report.

It seems to me that Morey is not simply "asking" the league to pay attention to these issues, he is implicitly threatening to escalate the matter if these problems are not properly addressed. This "leak" was just the first step of several the Rockets could potential take if these issues are not given their due attention.

My position is that the Rockets simply have to make more shots, and make enough that the even the Refs can't steal wins from them. But, Morey is not going to stay quiet, and I have to admit I like it.

It seems there was a lot more to this tweet than just an amusing reference:

Murray's got some big motherf***king balls. An organization outright questioning the validity and integrity of a series? That would be a terrible look for the league. Better listen to big d*** Darrell if you want to keep this under control

12. kjayp

its worded a little confusing - but I believe that total was derived from the report for both teams - with a net result of -93 for the Rox.

"When that series ended nearly a year ago, the Rockets’ research had just begun. They secured the play-by-play officiating reports from each game from the NBA – a service that is afforded to individual teams (teams aren’t given reports for other teams, which makes it hard to compare). These reports document the league’s verdict on correct calls and missed calls in the same way as the Last Two Minute reports that are shared publicly, with the obvious difference being that it accounts for all 48 minutes of action.

And after the Rockets went through every line, tallying all the missed calls for each team and adding up the potential points that were lost along the way, it wasn’t pretty: The Rockets, according to the sources, had a double-digit point deficit in six of the seven games (and a small edge in Game 2). In all, sources say, they were harmed to the tune of 93 points."

I think to say they dont get the report for 'other games' (rather than 'other teams')would have been less confusing...

bballjunkie, BigMaloe and RayRay10 like this.
  13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You admitted that 90% of your basketball viewing is Rockets only. That’s an extremely narrow spectrum to properly have any kind of credible take on really anything league wide. How bad our players react to calls compared to others, our coaching compared to others , our player tendencies compared to others and on and on...

ALL players, ESPECIALLY stars, b**** all game every game. Curry has thrown his mouth piece. Derozan just chucked a ball at a ref. This is not just a Houston thing.

Your takes are constantly made essentially disregarding the facts available to you. I don’t expect us to walk off the court and cry that it’s not fair. I expect a fair game to be called and when it’s not that it’s recognized for it. I expect when people b**** and complain that there is actual merit to the argument, not just heat of the moment narrow minded knee jerking.

luckyman76, Reeko and Denovo like this.
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The stupidest thing about all this is that IF the league wants to stop the 3 foul shot attempts (slows the game down too much?) THEN the best way to get rid of it is to call ALL of them, and call them lopsidedly in favour of the shooters

After half a season the defences will adjust and nobody is going to be fouling the 3 point shooters anymore. But by leaving the grey areas, you encourage the defenders to sail too close to the wind.

dischead likes this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This guy must only watch the Rockets.

We are one of the more passive teams when it comes to getting on the refs, actually.

luckyman76, Reeko, bro2044 and 2 others like this.
  16. kjayp

Yep 90% of the games I watch are Rockets games - which involves the Rox and another team... and most often we b**** more than the other team... and yes, I also see the highlights of other stars losing their crap - even if I dont watch those games...

I'm sorry if I'm not versed enough in the rest of the league for my opinion on the actions of our team to carry any validity for you... perhaps it would be best if you were just to put me on 'ignore' so you wont have to be bothered by my simple and ignorant take on things... smh....

Did I ever say the officiating was correct? Did I ever say it was justified? Or did I simply offer some additional possibilities as to why there is such a disparity? I'm sorry... is 'it's all rigged' and #nbaconspiracy the only acceptable narratives for you?
    again... hit that 'ignore' option - make both our CF experiences more delightful... ;)

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

No one will care. The NBA fanbases have been fractured by likes of reddit fanboys who all deserve to go to hell. When one team falls the other 29 will point at it and laugh from the schadenfreude.

The rockets have got to show that the league’s been doing this, to all the teams that face the warriors in the playoffs, since 2014-2015 when Kerr and Silver collectively made a deal to legalize the moving pick.

It’s a sham sport, and the sham people that run it might just blackball Morey for this if it gets enough traction.

18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

They care about all the money this is costing them. Except it’s not. At all.

It is making them filthy, filthy lucre hand over fist.

19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Morey needs to shut up. This is going to backfire on us!

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Who cares. It needs to be aired out.