1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have been offered a 1st round pick for Thomas Robinson (UPDATE: So much for "imminent")

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jun 21, 2013.

1. jocar

jocar Member

thx J.R.
    Here's where these guys stand on the mock draft (nbadraft.net)

Nogueria #11 PHI
    Schroeder #16 BOS
    Karasev #18 ATL
    Adetokuobo #21 UTA
    Gobert #23 IND

1 person likes this.
  2. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

It's definitely good news. But my concern is now that the whole world knows what we plan to do. I am sure some teams will **** block us by grabbing the player we target. Then we're screwed because our choices are limited.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I must confess that I knew of the international player-letter rule, but was wrong in assuming that the cap hit remained intact in the summer, and only was gone at season's start. If the Rockets do make a move, I guess they will have to get that letter quickly after the draft... or have a Houston Astros-like deal/understanding in place beforehand :)

I'm personally interested in Adetokunbo -- I would much rather go for the home run in the future. Schroeder is interesting to me, though he does have some character issues in his past. I agree with Bima also about Karasev... he has liked him for awhile.

4. Progs

Progs Member

Schroeder ??? Abrines ??? Gobert???

5. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Anyone got any highlights for karasev?

6. jocar

jocar Member

I was wondering why they would even share the names of these guys they're targeting, when they never do.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

[youtube]TOEhmklaiQ4[/youtube]

8. TheresTheDagger

What makes you think they are sharing names? Stein just sorta threw them out there. He knows the Rockets are trying to shed payroll, so its not hard to figure out who the overseas players are they might be targeting.

9. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Abrines would be the perfect fit in our system. Basically a Kyle Korver 2.0.

10. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

FWIW, Dennis Schroeder has a second workout scheduled with the Rockets the day before the draft: http://hoopshype.com/workouts.htm

So maybe it means we're really interested in him? He only worked out for five teams (including us) before flying back to Germany, but then he's doing one last one for us again...

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That's how I felt also -- future picks are ideal.

The problem is the 2014 Draft is expected to be a lot better than this 2013 Draft, so you would think those picks would be more expensive. This draft has been considered "weaker," so you would think it would be less costly to move up -- but the cap hit of a first rounder comes into play and you really need to clear all of T-Rob's salary. That's why the speculation here for a few weeks has been that if the Rockets are to get into the first round of this draft, it would have to be for an international player -- someone who would sign that letter saying they wouldn't play in the NBA this season.

Your second round pick (if kept) could then be used to add someone to this current roster, though he wouldn't be signed until closer to the season.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What about if we got the 1st and traded down. Say for multiple 2nd rounders?

13. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  14. dje243

dje243 Member

Sounds like that season ticket rep was onto something aye?

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

A lot of smoke and mirrors come draft time, but two weeks ago Fran Fraschilla (I think, it's ESPN Insider) wrote that he heard that Schroeder struggled in his workout in Houston.

16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I don't see why Morey can't trade this projected pick for a future first or trade back in the 2nd round also. Some of the Euro players are projected to go in the 20's like D-Mo a couple of years ago. 2nd round may be too late for the higher upside guys.

17. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

U r right! But 80% teams draft plan will be known before draft. It's not secrets for GMs

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

YES. Do it! Morey can find gold in the draft. Robinson is merely fool's gold.

19. Akim523

Akim523 Member

20. jocar

jocar Member

Yeh, you're right. I was hoping it was some attention diverting ninja move that ended up stiffing someone with Royce while freeing cap for 2 max's.