1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have achieved offensive mediocrity for the season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by baubo, Jan 17, 2015.

1. baubo

baubo Member

With the Kings terrible showing tonight, the Rockets are now officially ranked 15th out of 30 in the NBA in offensive efficiency. They are 2nd in defense, and 6th in net rating.

15th may seem mediocre but we've been really bad on offense for most of the season. So the uptick has been quite significant. I think it's time that we're starting to appreciate the fact that our offense is becoming awesome too. All that talk earlier about missing Parsons? Josh Smith and Brewer has seemingly more than made up for our lack of offense. While not losing anything on D.

For the playoffs I still think we need a 2nd playmaker because we're currently scoring a lot on transitions, which will lessen in the playoffs. The Warriors will be a good test to see how well this new Rockets offense do against the best defense in the league.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Our offensive efficiency is largely predicated on two things; Dwight Howard's willingness to run the PnR and whether or not Ariza joins up with Smith to form the Brick Bro's tandem. The first can be circumvented if Dwight happens to be hitting t;he FT's. If not, wooh it's going to be a rough game unless Harden just goes absolutely bonkers. If Ariza is helping Smith build new housing projects around downtown, then it will also be a rough night due to how much minutes he plays.

1 person likes this.
  3. baubo

baubo Member

Ariza's shot attempts and minutes have fell dramatically since Brewer's been taking some of his minutes. As for Dwight, he's barely getting the ball in the post now. The Rockets still give him token post ups, but otherwise he's been content to be a garbageman for the most part.

I think the biggest issue is still that the offense is too Harden-centric.

4. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

In other related news, after shooting sub-40% to start the season, James Harden's FG% has now reached 45%. Yayyy. :p

5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol who cares, we are winning games with defence

defensive teams win titles

6. bongman

bongman Member

On a positive note.....we are ranked fifth if you just take the last 3 games. Uptick is always welcomed :)

7. NotChandlerParsons

One team in the recent history has won a chip with worse than top 10 offense, the Detroit Pistons.

8. jogo

jogo Member

In a lot of games our team really lives or dies by the 3. We are efficient when we hit and not when we don't.

9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

The past 8 games or so, we have been ranked like 3rd on offense. Not sure what the defensive rankings are in that span but the offense is slowly coming back to what it was the first couple weeks in the season.

We are finally getting healthy and our pieces are coming together coherently now. Before the injuries, we were top 10 in both offense and defense, maybe even top 5 in both.

Feel really good about this year. This is the deepest team we have had for a long, long time. If Morey can find that secondary playmaker/replacement for Bev in the starting lineup, I truly believe we will make a deep run.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I'd much rather have Goran Dragic coming off our bench at the cost of Terrence Jones and a first rounder.

We need a Ginobli!

11. bongman

bongman Member

We probably have to look at this in context of the whole season. We start off with the injury bug then we add 3 new players, we really haven't had a lot time to get this team to gel the way we envision it.

My eye test suggests we have been playing better offensively and it is not just because were hitting 3's. We've been scoring a lot in the paint.

12. photojoe

photojoe Member

The Suns, after trading for Brandan Wright, to me it appears they are trying to make the playoffs this season and not worrying about the PG logjam until the offseason.

Maybe that's wrong, but that is what it appears.

But even if that fails and they decide to trade Dragic at the deadline, why would they want Jones? Jones would be very repetitive with Marcus and Markieff Morris as a tweener PF. I would bet they would ask for D-Mo or no deal....and honestly, if that was the case, I wouldn't make that deal.

13. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Rockets are not trading T Jones. TJones > JSmith

14. anchel

anchel Member

Certainly the team is showing signs of an offensive improvement as of lately. Less ISO game, more post play, more set plays, even some of them for Harden shots off the ball....

Next step I would like to see is a better 3 pt shooting selection, more passing, and better (less turnovers).

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Check the stats for the past 8 games. That trend is changing. I do agree we need a real point guard though.

16. Zbed

Zbed Member

We definitely need a 2nd ball handler cause I think KD even said after the OKC game that Harden initiates everything for us. Come playoff time I hope Canaan is ready or we make an acquisition to address this.

17. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Ideally imo we are going to have another adjustment period after we pick up a good playmaker

18. baubo

baubo Member

We are currently 15th in offense on the season. Given that we were in the 20s earlier, to move up 5+ spots would inherently mean we're performing better than 15th in the past few games. At least that's what I thought I was getting across.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I used to agree with those who beg for more PnR with Howard. Now I've realized that Dwight's willingness, or lack of, to run the PnR is only half of the problem. We simply don't have anyone perimeter players not named Harden who have the skills to run it.

To run an effective PnR, the ball handler needs to be good at 3 things.
    1. Drive and finish
    2. Pull up and hit the jumper
    3. Pass to the roll man

That's the triple threat that makes defending the PnR so difficult.

Most of our perimeter guys are spot up shooters. Bev, Ariza, and Brewer are decent spot up shooters, mediocre drivers, and below average passers. None can shoot pull ups consistently. Papa is a good passer but poor pull up shooter. The only good pull up shooter is Terry and he is a decent passer on the run.

If you can't hit a pull up jump shot, the defender will just go under the screen to cut you off the drive. The big man defender can just stay with the roller. There is really no need for the opposing big man to hedge so the roll man rarely receives the ball.

So it is not surprising that Dwight is not motivated to set the screen. DMo is the only big guy who is diligent in setting picks. In some rare occasion when he gets the ball rolling (usually from Harden) he scores a high percentage. I am sure Dwight would have been an even better finisher had he got that, same with Smith.

20. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

So how did we do on defense lately I wonder, not much being played..