1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have 5th worst record in the league. Should they trade or draft back into respectability?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Nov 26, 2015.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Man it would suck to start over, but if we can't get this season together, we have to start the rebuild as fast as we can. I'd be for it if we keep loosing.

Harden is still young, just turned 26 recently and probably has another 6 years of prime.

Harden, Capela, Harrell, KJ, Dekker

Tbh I don't think we keep either Jones or Motie after this season if we start a rebuild, I don't think Morey will like having another big contract when the team is fluctuating again.

Howard, Lawson, Jones, Motie, Terry, Thornton expire this off season. Beverley, Brewer, Ariza would need to be traded. It wouldn't be to clear the roster to start over, especially with Morey. With Harden, our young players, whoever we can trade our current players for, draft picks and free agency signings I imagine we can be back in the playoff race for 6-8th seed next year.

2. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

OKC and LAC are both struggling. It's still kind of early. If we wake up we can get a 6 seed. We already know 1.GSW 2.SAS 3. 4. 5.? Everyone else is struggling. We need to wake up now.

3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think what we're seeing is that Corey brewer Pat Bev Trevor ariza have already hit there peak and are on rapid decline (bev being the most valuable) none of those guys have ever been pure shooters at any point in their life. They worked extremely hard to get to were they were at during their apex but it's over and there regressing back to their mean.

If we're being honest ariza is just a rotation player on a contender he's not starting material in this league on a good team anymore. I have my reservations about dwight also. He's still better than capela but offensivly the rockets score more points it's seems with Clint in the game. He's the only big on the team besides dmo that can consistently finish around the rim.

It's a shame because were wasting a year of Hardens prime but it's how it goes in the NBA to win big is extremely hard and requires a lot of luck.

Morey should be aquiring all shooters to pair with harden why this still hasn't been done is beyond me. We were so good on that side of the ball the first 2 years Harden was here and while we did see a major spike in defense last year it tailed off a lot towards the end and playoffs.

You def needs defense but just like the NFL a potent offense is more critical to success in the NBA nowadays.

4. malakas

malakas Member

I agree completely. I have watched every team play this year multiple times and I haven't been impressed by any of the 8seeds in the West except for the top 2.

Wings 3+D are very hard to find and esp versatile like Ariza even if his 3 doesnt' fall right now. He's def starter material in a contender (who doens't have a star at his position ofc).

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

if we're going to rebuild, we should be tanking for Ben Simmons. Dude's a beast, puts up 20/20/7a

6. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Unless Harden is truly a locker room cancer that is bringing everybody down, throwing away this season for a lottery pick could prove doom for this franchise. Even the best Lottery Picks take time to develop, at a minimum 2-3 years, at which point Harden will be an UFA. Even if the draft pick isn't a bust, Harden could pack it in, as at 29 he may not want to be part of a rebuild. And then if the pick doesn't develop? Then you could be left with no Harden, no Dwight, and no future. We have a HUGE FA period coming up this offseason - the best scenario for Houston is to turn the season around, prove that we are a contender with 1 more piece, and go after that piece during FA.

Let's get real. It's been a tough 15 games, but I'd rather have a tough season than a tough 5-10 years.

7. Raven

Raven Member

Porzingis is already making an impact, but I understand your point. If the Rockets can climb to 500 before the deadline, that's one thing, but I see no reason to make a trade simply for the "honor" of winning enough games to
    miss the playoffs by three or four wins. Better to suck enough to get a top five pick.

8. Handles

Handles Member

This line might sound clever but it really isn't. Some of our next 20 opponents are playing GSW in their next 20 games. Not to mention Spurs, cavs

9. valleyproud

valleyproud Member

Put Beverly back in the starting lineup and bring Terry off the bench in his role last season. Bevs defense up top was a key last season. Also quit switching on defense so much, especially bigs/smalls and hedge/recover up top. Trade Howard for a pick and a servicable 4/5 once DMo returns and start him at the 5. Quit shooting so many top of the key three's early in the shot clock ( Harden). Hire a successful coach the young players will respect. Thoughts?

10. SemisolidSnake

Burn everything to the ground and start from scratch.

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds cool and is as good a plan as anything the Rockets themselves are currently enacting.

11. Raven

Raven Member

Plan was good enough to get to WCF, yet flawed enough to be a basement dweller the following year. Do the Rockets even know what went wrong?

12. MFG16

MFG16 Member

If we start a rebuild Morey won't have to worry about another big contract. If the Rockets get anywhere near a projected top pick then Morey will be fired. Les owns the team, not McNair.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not saying anything... but Tmac arrived in Houston when he was 25.. and began to decline by the age 27.

Harden might be alright until he hits 29-30 with occasional effort on Defense.

14. dmoneybangbang

Mindset? Regression back to the mean?

It will be interesting to see how this team looks right after the trade deadline.

15. dmoneybangbang

TMac had injuries issues while harden seems to be made of steel. Knock on wood.

16. ibm

ibm Member

mcgrady was 18 when drafted, iirc. he's 7yrs into the pro when he came to houston, after being the #1 guy in orlando.

harden is what, only 5-6yrs. into the league? and that's after being the 6th man in okc for a number of yrs.

its the mileage, not just age. see d12 for another example.

and the playing styles have to do with that, too.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This. I don't know better then anybody else on how long Harden will be healthy or in his prime, but based on his style of play and relative health I think him being in his prime until his early 30's could be a decent probability.

18. dmoneybangbang

Oh I agree but mcgradys body broke down quicker than say Garnett and Kobe, who both started playing out of high school.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

a couple more games...if its still this bad they NEED to tank.