1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets GREAT Photographer Bill Baptist slurs Kamala on Facebook

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Aug 14, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When people share something with no commentary, it means they endorse it. Does he think we are that stupid?

2. fchowd0311

Like if you share it and comment "this is horrible", ya you are condemning it. But of you just flat out share it with no comment, it obviously means you endorse the message.

DVauthrin likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People do make mistakes, and I for one hope his career isn't ruined over this. But this guy has to look deep inside and realize that calling a woman a hoe is horribly sexist and DOES reflect his views.

I think what people forget is that most people have racist and sexist views, and when they slip and express them, yes they should be called out, but in a way to teach and not ruin someone's life. The guy can grow from this, and hopefully, he can be forgiven and allowed to grow.

pgabriel likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

Before he gets to that part he first actually has to admit he endorsed the message. He's pretending like he accidently shared it or something. I don't even know what he's trying to claim.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Sharing is a choice, albeit a personal choice, but it's a choice. Anyone wants to speak their mind are welcome to do so, because you know, freedom, but being irresponsible comes with consequences now-a-days.

This is the reason individuals are upset about "cancel culture", because before they could say whatever they wanted and the majority of the time they got away with. Similar to cops and making up stories and getting away with a lot of **** prior to the use of cell phone cameras/body cameras. People are now upset that they no longer have the freedom to act immoral and yet pretend they are a good person in their day to day life. I am glad people are calling out individuals, maybe this will lead to a more just, moral world rather than the previous generation's closet immoral individuals that are having a hard time coping with their nasty self in this day and age.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Everything about his career as a photographer would be inspiring if he had simply kept his political feelings out of social media. It was an incredibly stupid ending to what is otherwise a great story of climbing up the ladder from maintenance man to team/NBA photographer. That should be a lesson to everyone who puts their real name out there on Twitter or anywhere else on the internet unless they, and those they are communicating with, have excellent security software. Even if you have that kind of software, if you are famous enough, say a Hollywood star or a prominent politician, you can get hacked by someone who really knows what they are doing. In the case of Mr Baptist, it wasn't a "hack." He did it all to himself.

DVauthrin, Xerobull, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He should have dropped his political statements on a board of anonymous users
    like..

pgabriel and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. fchowd0311

I would hope a moderator here would suspend someone at the very least if they called women hoes as an insult.

FrontRunner and tinman like this.
  9. dookiester

dookiester Member

I'm ready for the follow-up article, "Are You Brave Enough to Post a Racist and/or Misogynist Political Meme and Then Claim It Doesn't Reflect Your Personal Views At All After Facing Consequences"

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

It's not a good idea to call a woman a ho
    unless that is really her profession or it's in a catchy rap song

@Reeko

11. fchowd0311

No one here is going to defend the sexism that is rampant in modern hip hop.

pgabriel and AleksandarN like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

You know some of our best female posters have left Clutchfans because of harassment that spread out to real life.

However, I think this was just a crass political statement.

But reminding everyone to be nice to your fellow posters or the D&D will be gone as Jeff originally thought of doing.
    And yes, I know his story cause he told me it when he was up in Austin a long time ago.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find this troubling. I agree what he wrote was stupid and sexist and he probably should've known better. The problem I have is this is close to and likely there will be many who look at this as him being fired over political speech outside of the workplace. Calling Kamala Harris a "hoe" is offensive but there is a long tradition of calling political leaders offensive names by those who don't agree with them. If we only look to protect speech that isn't offensive then that isn't really free speech. Further political speech is an area that has been recognized that there is a lot of leeway.

I recognize that the Rockets are a private organization and not the government so this isn't a First Amendment issue. That said that people can lose their livelihoods or suffer worse from a few seconds of video or a single post is troubling. I agree that speech that is hateful and offensive should be called out and challenged but I'm not sure what is learned or society advanced by a zero tolerance message of essentially say or do one dumb thing that goes viral and that's it. All this is teaching is to keep silent or just express it anonymously rather than the possibility of having any real dialogue.

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I would hope it’s never ok to call anyone a hoe even if she was a republican. So yes I condemn that

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

To be clear, the NBA terminated his "bubble" contract, not the Rockets.

AleksandarN, DVauthrin and Deckard like this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

best post of the thread

SICO
    @Reeko @Os Trigonum @RayRay10

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks. The NBA is a private business so it still isn't a First Amendment issue but still not easy with how this was handled for the reasons as stated.

tinman likes this.
  18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I agree , rocketsjudoka is not someone I agree with on politics but he’s so far above the others that spew complete utter garbage ..Always well thought out posts that fairly examines more than one direction

Deckard likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

When I was working, we were constantly warned that if our private life put our company in a negative light, we would most likely be fired.

20. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Overall, I agree with you, BUT, he gave the NBA no choice with his utter stupidity and obliviousness to the current political climate.

Deckard, jiggyfly and Invisible Fan like this.