1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets get robbed by refs vs Suns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by COACH SAMPSON, Mar 12, 2001.

1. COACH SAMPSON

COACH SAMPSON Member

The Rockets were flat out robbed of a critical game that might just end their playoff run. Every close,obvious and crucial call went the Suns way. Not only do the refs do a terrible job they are also a bunch of crooks. So many calls went the Suns way last night and if you add them all up the Rockets should have won easily. Anyone that thinks that the Rockets should have to beat the refs and the Suns is sadly mistaken. I just dont understand why the Rockets are always at the other end of the critial call all these years and I will never understand it. That's why I say F#@k the NBA and everyone with them. How the hell can the refs call a charge of Steve Francis when Cliff mr. weedman Robinson clearly was not in posistion. That ref must have been smoking the same stuff Cliff was to make that call.
    As far as that play where the ref said Walt Williams lost the ball out of balence, Gimme a break Walt was clearly fouled by Delk and if the refs were not gonna call the obvious foul than at least give the Rockets the ball like they do every other time someone else fouls and they dont call it. Man just when it gets exciting I get reminded that the Rockets will never get a fair share from the refs. Its just so frustrating.

------------------

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, all the Refs fault, let's go to the stats.

Clearly with the Refs being this biased, they must have called too many fouls on the Rockets, and not enough on the suns...Hmmm

WTF...20 fouls on the Suns and only 19 on the Rockets...how can this be...?

15-20 from the line for the suns
    21-24 from the line for the Rockets

WTF...again? This does not support all these conspiracy theories...hmmm?

REFS FAULT...GIVE ME A FRICKEN BREAK....

Maybe it was the 20 Turnovers to only 13 for the Suns...

You know why we lost....cause Phoenix is a more savvy team then the Rockets...PERIOD.

Stop making excuses for this young Rockets team, they will grow, but it will be painful to watch.

DaDakota

------------------
    Go Jazz *

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/011403.html

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I'm not a fan of blaming the refs. But I do have to say that the charging foul was a key call in the game and probably cost us the game. Sure we did make other mistakes, but if that call had been done right Francis would have had two free throws to expand the lead up to 5 instead of the suns getting the ball and then brining the lead down to 1. I don't like blaming the refs, but that one call every well could have cost us the game. Along with Rudy T.'s technical, but he should have maintained his tempter.

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DaDakota

Answer me this: Do you think the PLACEMENT of calls can
    disrupt a Game?

Do you think a Well place NO CALL can f*ck up
    a team? [See the Hack on Moochie on back to
    back plays]

If I call 20 fouls on you in 1-3
    then Make up for them in the 4th . . .
    you could be f*cked.

Rocket River

------------------

5. alaskansnowman

I agree with Rocket River.

The Suns got more fouls called on them in total, but the refs missed crucial calls down the stretch that shut down any momentum we had. Sometimes, it dont matter how many, but when the fouls were called.

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'm going to hate myself for this, but I have to agree with Coach Sampy on this one. [​IMG] Yeah the Rockets might get the same number of calls as the other team. But like Rocket River stated, the placement of the calls are very crucial. Rockets never get a call in crunch time. The NBA and the Refs can go to HELL as far as I am concerned.

------------------

7. Toast

Toast Member

Well, yeah, the numbers were the same, but you have to remember the style of play.

In the 4th, we were playing aggressive, driving to the basket. Often that style of play dictates lots of blocking calls. There was a stretch of 3 consecutive plays where our guards nearly got their heads hacked off but instead, there were 2 no calls, and one charging call. If I were Rudy T, I'd take that technical too. You have to make the refs aware that they're giving the game away and you won't stand for it.

Aside from not getting the calls, since we know we won't get the calls, we have to change our offensive mindset where we're settling for outside shots or relying on our big men for points inside. When playing small ball, your big men won't really have the opportunity for close range shots, so we shifted to take the outside shots.

You can complain that we just didn't hit our shots, but then again I can complain that if we were allowed to drive to the basket, and have a fair game called, we wouldn't need to settle for lesser shots.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

8. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

While I don't agree that Phoenix is a more "savvy" team than Houston, and I also think it is a bit premature to say whether or not this team will make the playoffs with over a month remaining in the season and the West as close as it is, I MUST agree with Da on this one.

I don't know who was watching this game, but there were bad calls made on BOTH sides of the ball. Phoenix had every right to be upset about some of the calls last night, just as we do. I AGREE that some of the calls were wrong...but until we can create infallible referees, it will ALWAYS be an aspect of the game. It is something that teams will ALWAYS have to play through. And No, I don't buy this argument that the Rockets are being discriminated against exclusively by the NBA. What the hell does the league have to gain by that? We sound like a bunch of paranoid Jazz fans sometimes.

You want a reason for this loss to b**** about? How about turnovers? How about not getting back on defense? How about the fact that the team we were playing has a good record and is a GOOD team, who had a LOT to play for, just like we did.

Quit blaming losses on referees. Whether you believe you are right or not, it's NOT something that can be FIXED, or remedied. So why the hell get all upset about it?

I'm not convinced that this is the end of the season. It was one game--a HUGE and meaningful game, but one game nonetheless. We have some more games coming up. I know everybody's bent (including myself), but let's see how this team responds...will we not even show up next game? Or will we respond with a resolve to win? THAT is a relevant question, not whether or not we were "robbed" by refs. It's all relative. Of course we think we were, we're Rockets fans. But I'm guessing that Suns fans have a very different opinion on the subject.

Get over it. It's a tired argument. Perhaps late calls cost us some very valuable points--but the Rockets had EVERY opportunity to win this game, and THEY did not come through. Great teams find a way to play through obstacles. We did not do that last night. We're NOT the only ones who this happens to. Bad calls happen to EVERYBODY.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

[This message has been edited by slcrocket (edited March 12, 2001).]

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I also hate to blame the Refs, and I know that I could point to many things that if the Rockets had done differently, they could of...should of...would of...won the game.

Nevertheless, I have to admit...those calls and non-calls were back breakers, and they easily would have attributed to at least a three point swing, which of course, was enough to win the game for the Rockets.

And DaDakota....I have noticed that you....and Almu....have been really....uhhhh...aggresive lately. I know Almu has an excuse for his aggression; I was just curious what yours was.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe my posts have been a bit aggressive, I guess, I just don't like to hear all the whining after we lose.

The simple fact of the matter, is that the Rockets played hard, and tough, but came up short.

As For AKA Vince, I think you need to get some respect around here before you start telling people to shut up.

I guess you have never read Coach Sampson's whinning about the refs after almost every game, if you had, you might not mind my attitude, so until you at least earn my respect.

Talk to the hand...

[​IMG]

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

11. haven

haven Member

Gotta go with SLCrocket here. We see all the bad calls against Houston, and likely on Suns boards they point out all the calls that went against Phoenix. If we'd hit another shot or two, none of us would remember these calls. It just hurts when it's so close and you want it to be the refs fault.

------------------
    Boston College - Big East -East Division Regular Season Champs

Worst to First in 2001!

12. Toast

Toast Member

Admittedly, I remember very vividly a shot where Googs (that b*stard) went up, Shandon jumped up to defend, made contact, and Googs (rotten SOB) was called for the charge. That call was pretty nasty.

The Rockets definitely missed some opportunities to put this game away. But when there are some bad calls during the stretch, I sure do love to take out my anger at the expense of the refs. Then again, it doesn't matter what point in the game we're lookin at, I just like to take out my anger at the expense of the refs :)

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

13. slcrocket

I knew I put you on that favorite posters list for a reason, haven... [​IMG]

BTW, I remember that play as well, Toast, and I remember at several stages of the game thinking "Good Lord, I wouldn't have called that, but I'm not going to complain," because the call favored the Rocks.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

14. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The refs were at an all-time worst last night, but so were the Rockets in the final 15 minutes. They gave this game away. Not through bad calls. The gave it away by giving up easy layups on the other end. They gave it up by shooting nothing but long jumpers on their end. They gave it up by isolating Moochie (no-O) Norris for four straight posessions. They gave it up by giving it to Francis a total of zero times in the fourth quarter. THEY WERE UP BY 16 POINTS, and they gave it all away. The refs helped in the end, but the Rockets shouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

------------------
    Re-elect President Gore!

15. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

We all know how much the NBA hates isolation offenses. Maybe they have told the officials to give the Rockets a hard time, until they are discouraged to go away from the iso. The Rockets are being punished for not being the Kings, essentially.

------------------
    Re-elect President Gore!

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Well at least this stops Coach Sampson from complaining about how the Pacers were robbed v Lakers for a just a short time [​IMG]

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

17. slcrocket

While I HIGHLY doubt that is what's going on, didn't I read somewhere on this site that Rudy is trying to create a new offense for this team, that WON'T be just iso's? When is this new offense going to be getting going? Does it center around the P&R, like we've been doing more and more lately, or is it something else? I'm claiming ignorance on this one. Any help?

------------------
    Jazzkiller

18. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

hmm...Apparently Coach Sampson isn't the only one blaming the refs. I didn't see the game, but it would appear that calling Coach Sampson a liar is calling Rudy T one as well...

http://espn.go.com/nba/2001/20010311/recap/houpho.html

------------------

-Deji

[This message has been edited by Deji (edited March 12, 2001).]

19. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

SLCRocket, I believe that was a joke from Heypartner. Something about trapezoidal offense.

------------------
    Re-elect President Gore!

20. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I don't care what some of you say about being sore losers, but I think bad calls hurt us. It's not just when we lose because a lot of nights it seems like we have to play the opposing team and the refs. I remember the first game against the knicks this season that we won, but I thought we got screwed by the refs.
    I do agree with ZRB in that we shouldn't have gotten in the position to let the refs hurt us. There were a lot of things we did that made us lose, but at the same time one can't say that the charging foul called on Steve didn't rob of 2 potentially 3 points.
    B.T.W. These were the same refs that I was not pleased with in the dallas game and the ones Rudy kept after the game to tell them how unhappy he was with their calls.

------------------