1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets get Heat's 2nd round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dave Jamerson, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

According to the Miami Herald, the Rockets will pick in Miami's 2nd round pick via the toronto trade. can anyone confirm?

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I can't confirm, but to clarify, its saying:

Toronto owes us a second round pick.
    Miami owes Toronto a second round pick.
    Toronto will take Miami's pick and pass it along to us this year.

Also, is there a link for that Miami Herald story?

3. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Detroit has the option of taking Miami's second rounder as well. So, I don't know how that would work out.

4. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Actually, Toronto traded us the Detroit pick. Here's a link to RealGM's explaination of the second rounder. The question I've got is, if the pick is due in 2002, was there a stipulation in the conditions that would allow them to delay payment for at least 2 years? Does this mean that we will get additional compensation for the delay?

http://www.realgm.com/src_picks2002.php

2nd Round

Detroit has the right to swap its own second round pick for Miami's second round pick. If this happens, Miami would receive Detroit's 2003 second round pick. (11/26/00: Pistons trade Cedric Ceballos to Heat for a conditional second round pick)

Detroit could receive a second round pick from Philadelphia. Detroit is eligible to receive the pick when they send Atlanta (via Philadelphia and Houston) the first round pick that they owe them. Philadelphia then has three years to send Detroit a second round pick. (Sixers acquired a future first round pick from Pistons in Stackhouse/Ratliff trade on 12/18/97, Sixers traded this pick to Houston for draft rights to Mirsad Turkcan on 3/11/99, Rockets traded this pick to Hawks for draft rights to Terence Morris on 6/27/01)

Detroit may send their second round pick to Houston. Though the pick is listed as due in 2002, reports of a potential swap of second rounders with Miami might mean that the payment of this debt will be delayed. (Pistons traded second round pick to Toronto for Zeljko Rebraca on 7/18/01. Toronto then traded the pick to Houston along with a first round pick for Hakeem Olajuwon on 8/2/01.)

5. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Detroit traded their second rounder this season to Toronto for Zeljko Rebraca (great trade for Detroit). That trade happened this offseason. Toronto probably did this trade specifically to pay off the Houston debt. I don't see where the delay would come in.

6. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

It's not clear. If we are getting Detroit's pick via Toronto, do we get the option to swap with Miami as well? I don't think this is likely, but that's what the Herald artcile implies. In that case you are right, there is no delay. If however Detroit does the swap and keeps Miami's pick, there will be a delay.

7. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Ok, there's the confusion. Detroit could take Miami's second rounder this season and give Miami their own second rounder next season. Regardless, they would give Toronto (and thus Houston) their second rounder this season. There is no delay in that and can't be. So, Houston will get Detroit's second rounder this year.

8. Hottoddie

Maybe you missed this part of the paragraph:

Detroit may send their second round pick to Houston. Though the pick is listed as due in 2002, reports of a potential swap of second rounders with Miami might mean that the payment of this debt will be delayed. (Pistons traded second round pick to Toronto for Zeljko Rebraca on 7/18/01. Toronto then traded the pick to Houston along with a first round pick for Hakeem Olajuwon on 8/2/01.)

9. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I didn't miss that part, I'm aware of what the actual deal with the pick is. The swap comes in that Detroit would swap next years second rounder for Miami's this year. The reason it's such a weird deal is that Detroit basically just wanted to dump Ceballos contract and Miami had a trade exception they had to use by a specific time. This swap has nothing to do with the pick they traded to Toronto that will be coming here.

I'm trying to clear that up for you.

10. Hottoddie

Well then, explain this part of the paragraph to me. Why would they say the payment of debt might be delayed, as a result of the swap? The way you are explaining it, Detroit would end up with 2 second round picks this year. Therefore, there wouldn't be any delay in payment. But, the paragraph indicates that there might be. That makes me think that they are swapping this year's picks & Miami would pick up an additional #2 pick next year.

11. jev6515

jev6515 Member

I've also heard something about Seattle giving Toronto their first round pick for the Ewing deal...and Toronto giving us that pick instead of theirs...which would push us back 5 or 6 picks...which, if true, is a big blow to Houston trying to draft for defensive quality. can anyone confirm?

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Whoa! Forget the details. What second rounder(s) by number (#35 or #37 or #51 -- what?) do the Rockets have?

13. Hottoddie

According to reliable sources on this board, it has to be Toronto's pick.

14. Hottoddie

The only one that we might get, is the Detroit pick, through Toronto, for the Dream trade. It's still unclear if we'll even get that.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Dammit would someone please put a link to the Miami Herald article? I went looking for it and couldn't find it.

I (and my partner) produced the RealGM list. This is one pick we are still confused about (rather, we thought we were clear until Detroit started talking about swapping. :mad: ) and I'd like whatever information I can get on the subject.

What I am pretty certain we know:

1) The Det-Mia swap is Detroit's #2s in 2002 and 2003 for Miami's in 2002. This is incompatible with paying Houston before 2004.

2) Toronto's #2 pick will go to Portland, I think, so it couldn't be coming to Houston instead of the Detroit pick.

16. Hottoddie

I found it. According to the Miami Herald, we are getting Miami's second round pick. :cool:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/sports/basketball/3086000.htm

Posted on Thu, Apr. 18, 2002

`There's no solace'
    Heat topples Orlando in season finale
    BY BARRY JACKSON
    bjackson@herald.com

A different lottery involving Miami and Phoenix in the next week will determine which gets the higher pick if neither gets a top three pick. If the Heat doesn't pick in the top three of the June 26 draft, its first-round selection will fall between nine and 13.

As part of the Heat's acquisition of Cedric Ceballos last season, Miami will get Detroit's second-round pick. That will be 52nd or 53rd, determined by a lottery drawing between the Pistons and Minnesota in the next week.

In exchange, Detroit gets the Heat's second-round pick (38th or 39th) and will forward it to Houston to complete an earlier trade. The Heat also receives Detroit's second-round pick in 2003.

17. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Thank you for finally clearing that up Hottoddie...thats not such a bad slot..maybe we take a shot on Lee Benson if he is there

18. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

19. JuanValdez

Thanks for the link Hottodie.

20. JuanValdez

I corresponded with Mr. Jackson. He tells me that Detroit's option to swap picks with Miami went to Houston along with the pick. Quotes from Dumars were made at a time when he did not realize he owed Houston (and he's since been made aware).

I'm still skeptical of the article, however. I don't see why the option would go to Houston or how Houston could force Detroit to send their 2003 pick to Miami as well (since it is a 2 for 1 swap). If anyone finds collaborating evidence, I'd love to hear it.