1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Future Draft Pick List

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pugsly8422, Feb 25, 2011.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Well, you're right and wrong. We couldn't technically make a trade and tell them....hey, we'll give you the 2013 Memphis pick. We could tell them....hey, we'll give you the first round pick that Memphis owes us, but there are obligations attached to it, the earliest you could get it is 2013, but there is no guarantee. So we could trade the pick, but not a guaranteed 2013 pick. Hope that makes sense.

Pugs

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Pugs has it right.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I understand, we aren't techically guaranteed a draft picks ourselfs in 2013, so I was thinking we can't trade our own pick, nor the Memphis pick.

But I guess we can.

Thanks.

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Great thread, Pugs, but it appears to me that, in order to get maximum value from the draft choices in 2011, a new CBA needs to be signed by mid-June so incoming talent can decide to fish rather than cut bait.

5. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

i was wondering if we could trade away our rights to pick with the knicks?

6. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

edit.

7. pugsly8422

I think the right to swap picks is "attached" to our first round pick, which means if we trade our pick, the right to swap goes with it. The bottom line is that our record will determine the location of that pick, so the right to swap does us just as much good as anyone else.

Pugs

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

As always, DM will try to move up. The difference being that this summer he'll have the proper assets to pull it off.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Tracking our 2011 Draft Picks

Accidently deleted. So we currently have the following for 2011:

1st Round

2nd Round

Let's hope the Suns make the playoffs. They are currently 1.5 games out.

#49 Icehouse, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  10. pugsly8422

This is what I'm keeping my eye on. If Phoenix makes the playoffs then we'll get a better pick (Phoenix pick > Orlando pick). Also, it would be nice if Memphis made the playoffs as well (maybe Denver could fall out?) so we would have a better chance of getting that first round pick sooner rather than later, and we also have a better chance of actually getting a first round pick from theminstead of a 2nd rounder and $3m cash.

Pugs

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

All of these draft picks have me checking quite a few scores every night.

Team I hope win
    Suns
    Grizzlies

Teams I hope lose
    Knicks
    Clippers
    Magic
    Blazers
    Nuggets
    Utah
    New Orleans

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so the rockets should be a contender circa 2018.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If you are a Rockets fan, then logically it makes no sense to root against the two teams who you are fighting for the 8th playoff spot with. If the Rockets make the playoffs and the suns dont, they you are basically swapping picks.

The worst case scenario is if the Rockets and the Suns both make the playoffs, then the Rockets are looking at two 1st round picks in the 20's and a high 2nd round pick rather than a 1st round pick in the 12 to 14 range, a 1st round pick in the 20's and a high 2nd round pick.

As for the Grizzlies, why not just hope that they suck so the Rockets have a better shot at the playoffs and get maybe get a decent pick in 2013 or 2014?

14. marky :)

marky :) Member

Which one is the Sun/Magic pick, the #13?

15. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

#13 is our own. #24 the Magic's.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im going to correct myself on this one, the Suns have lottery protection here. Either way, it doesn't really matter, if the Suns make the 8th spot in the playoffs, it most likely means at the Rockets expense.

I would rather see the Rockets in the playoffs personally. It adds more value to the players you already have rather than drafting two picks lower.

17. pugsly8422

The sad thing is, if the Grizzlies don't make the playoffs at least twice by the end of the 2016 season, the Rockets will end up with a 2nd rounder and cash.

We need the Grizzlies to make the playoffs, and the sooner they do it, the better. Yes, I would love to see the Rockets in the playoffs, but I've started to look more toward the future and would be just as happy (maybe happier) with a higher pick of our own, a better pick from Phoenix, and a better chance of getting that first rounder from the Grizzlies (as well as getting it sooner).

So having said that, I'm with DCkid as far as rooting for or against certain teams. Hopefully the Suns and Grizzlies go on some nice winning streaks (although we only want the Suns to get the 8th seed), and the Nuggets or Blazers drop some games, and eventually out of the playoffs. I'm not holding my breath on the Blazers dropping out, but could definitely see it happening to the Nuggets.

Pugs

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I have never seen any proof. Everyone keeps saying this, but no one gives examples of this occurring.

Now if a player has played well in multiple playoffs or been a foundation to his team during multiple playoff runs, that is one thing, but 4-6 playoff games will do nothing to increase value of the Rockets players on the trade market especially if they lose the series 4-0 or 4-1 to the Spurs/Mavs/Lakers.

I have only ever legitimately seen a single playoff series/run increase a players value in free agency, not on the trade market.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Right now i rather have Jan Veseley, Jordan Hamilton, Jimmer, Kawhi Leonard, Henson, Valancjunas, Noqueira or Walker than another 1st round exit.
    What's the benifit of making the playoffs this season in long term?
    If we kick out Phoenix, we get Orlando's pick and don't get to draft some promising talent.
    I think this draft is very underrated, i see many guys that can contribute well in the NBA. From 10-13 range we could get very good players, but right now the majority of guys on CF rather get to the playoffs, although we would probably get swept by San Antonio?
    I don't get the "real fans don't support tanking" argument, next season you'll bite your butt for the early playoff-exit and not gettin any good prospects instead.
    If you're somewhat intelligent, shouldn't you think about what is best for this franchise in the next few years, not only this season?

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

http://www.hoopsworld.com/DraftPickDebt.asp

NY needs a worse standing than us and Phoenix needs to make the playoffs.

Memphis needs to make the playoffs this year.