1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Full-time Career Opportunity: Yao Ming's Right-Hand Man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Sep 28, 2002.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Rockets Full-time Career Opportunity: Interpretation of Yao Ming's words

- Here is the job of a lifetime that was just posted Saturday (9/28/02) for anyone that has Chinese- Language Interpreter skills and wants to be apart of Yao-Mania & probably be Yao's right hand man this season with the Houston Rockets. Good luck for those who apply!

Communications: Overall Communications

Houston Rockets :CHINESE-LANGUAGE INTERPRETER

POSITION DESCRIPTION (includes but is not limited to the following):
    You will be an active basketball interpreter speaking both Chinese (Mandarin) and English and must possess a thorough knowledge of basketball terminology and training on the professional level. You will ideally have a relevant degree and have a comprehensive understanding of U.S. basketball.

Your primary language will be either Modern Standard Chinese (Mandarin) or English, and you should be fluent in modern standard Mandarin, at least as a second language. Shanghai dialect would be an additional advantage. You will be expected to make an active contribution to interpreting and delivering rapid-fire basketball coaching/training terms quickly, succinctly, and effectively. You will also be required to interpret a variety of subjects, including written translation. You must be familiar with and able to interact successfully within the business/front office as well as within basketball operations. Must be able to help build continuing positive relationships between Chinese-speaking player and the Team. Must have an extremely flexible schedule. Interpreter will attend all basketball games, practice sessions, player appearances, meetings, and etc. to provide interpretation services.

QUALIFICATIONS:
    Fluency in Modern Standard Chinese (Mandarin). Shanghai dialect, a plus.
    Comprehensive knowledge of and familiarity with U.S. basketball training terminology
    College degree preferred
    Experience in interpreting in a fast-paced environment
    Ability to build and maintain excellent interpersonal relations
    Excellent verbal and written interpretation skills
    An understanding of business operations as well as basketball

Interpreters will be screened and assessed for language skills and knowledge of basketball terminology before hire. The highest degree of discretion and integrity is required. Comprehensive background screenings will be conducted for all final candidates.

HOW TO APPLY: To apply for this and other positions within our organization, click here and type 'Houston' in the Key Word Search.
    http://www.nba.com/rockets/fans/fulltime_010726.html

#1 ron413, Sep 28, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2002
  2. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Looks like Yao will be here despite no contract yet. :cool:

3. ron413

It's a good sign that the Rockets organization is getting prepared for Yao's transition at least. They have 2+ weeks to find the perfect assistant for Yao, and hopefully the word gets out to a down-to-earth Chinese Language interpreter, that will help Yao in this important time in his life.

4. coke

coke Member

I wanted to be his right-hand man but i cant. I aint fluent in speaking mandarin instead cantonese..:( :( :(

5. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Sadly all I know is English and bad English.

Hopefully Drew Gooden will be looking for an interpreter.

6. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

LMAO! :D :D :D

7. redao

redao Member

Actually,Rudy can efficiently help Ming out this language thing in the first month.

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

If any of you gets offered the job, just for fun, tell them that instead of a salary you want a percentage of Yao's contract.

P.S. I'm sure we could compile a long list of NBA players who need interpreters. If Drew Gooden starts the list, I'll add Qyntel Woods. Hell, his mother needed an interpreter just to fill out the birth certificate. At least Shaq's mom put a U in his name.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You crack me up :D.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That was good, Will. Someone is going to be some kind of lucky. What a job! Travel around the country in style, stay in fine hotels, a nice daily stipend for food and run-around money + what I'm sure will be a nice salary.

11. ron413

Serious Question: Does anyone on this message board speak Mandarin or know any family or friends that speak it?

It would be cool if we can at least get someone from Clutchcity.net to interview for this amazing Rockets job opportunity!

#11 ron413, Sep 28, 2002
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Don't the Rockets also need someone to translate the Rudy dialect into English, first.

13. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

I do speak fluent Madarin and English as well as Shanghai Dialect. But I have a better job now :(

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Nice salary??? Don't bet on it. Sports franchises are NOTORIOUS for VERY low wages to non-sports-related employees. Part of the concept is that people, especially young people, will work for less just to be part of a pro sports team. It also looks good on a resume.

I've seen the people at the Rockets do work and, let me tell you, it is freakin' hard. I have no idea how they do it. Some of them work tremendously long hours 6 or 7 days a week for fairly low compensation by corporate pay standards. It's really pretty amazing.

Whoever they get for this job, he/she will probably spend 18+ hours per day, seven days a week chasing around Yao and talking to reporters. He/she will be LUCKY to have time to eat, let along live in "style".

It SOUNDS glorious on the surface, but my bet is that it will be BRUTAL work. It would be great for a college student or a young person, but not much of a life for anyone else I would imagine.

15. ron413

A better job than this one? You are very lucky. Tell one of your friends to apply then.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm telling you. This person will need to know the Rudy Dialect too. How many of you can

<a href="http://veepersplay.budlight.com/index.asp?id=6282CA6D610B4559AF39338D7586510E">Translate these rapid-fire Rudy instructions.</a>

17. ron413

Here are the 4 main Job Questions (Required) for this opening:

Can you fluently speak and write in Modern Standard Chinese (Mandarin)? Please respond to this question in Mandarin.

Are you familiar with Shanghai dialect?

Are you available for an immediate start?

What are your salary requirements?

18. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

No
    Not at all
    Yes
    Maximum

Email me to arrange for an interview

#18 RocketForever, Sep 28, 2002
  19. ron413

Haha, that is exactly what I put for my responses. Hopefully, something pans out where maybe Nachbar needs an interpreter also.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey, Jeff! I said "travel around the country in style"... unless they make the person check themselves in as baggage. ;)

I figured it would be a young person and what we would consider a small salary might be pretty good to a 20-odd year old. Someone who is a business major, a big BB fan and wants some excitement (and stories they can drink off of the rest of their life!) would find this a hell of an opportunity.

Take a year off of school, maybe? This would be unforgettable.