1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Free agency 2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by teebone21, Aug 19, 2012.

1. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

Oh and about your recruiting argument.... Why wouldn't he try and recruit players since he's smart enough to know the team as presently constructed isn't going to the WC Finals? Clearly he would do that and if they could get someone to help him then maybe you could then guarantee he would stay. That hasn't happened though, so CP3 recruiting others doesn't mean he likes the team enough to stay, more likely to mean the opposite.

I'm assuming they get bounced early in the playoffs and once that happens, unless they make a good trade or sign some major help, 50/50 chance he leaves and that's the definition of available in this Bird Rights CBA.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

I never guaranteed he would never leave I just said I don't see it happening. And if he wants to go and join with a competitive team why wouldn't he go lets say & join the Knicks in NY with Carmelo and Tyson in the East. I doubt he leaves LA nonetheless to be honest. For example, what motivation would he have coming to Houston? He will get more money in LA, coming to H-town doesn't increase his chances at a ring?

3. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

Congrats, you found a couple reasons why he'd stay or not come to Houston.

Unfortunately for the relevance of your entire post, I can do that for any player listed.

The implication then is that he ought not be any less considered than other Unrestricted FAs with Bird rights incentives. That's what our disagreement comes down to, don't try to move the goalposts. I think I've made a clear point, I even quantified it (50/50) and admitted my assumption (early playoff exit for the 2nd year in a row). I'm done.

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

Lol. Was that what we were disagreeing on? I didn't know that. In that case then we see eye to eye. I never once said that he shouldn't be considered. Your putting words in my mouth. Morey would be foolish to not do his due diligence. I just said I don't see him happening for the Rockets for a few reasons that outweigh what you suggested as to why he would become a rocket. I also never said it is out of the realm of possibility. In my opinion I just think it is unlikely. Anyway. Thanks for the conversation. Later.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Welcome to Houston, Mr. Howard.

6. rocketseagles07

agree on the first part, especially when we probably won't sign anyone in next year anyways. As for the second part I disagree, as long as bynum is healthy I expect him to have a career year. His injury history isn't as bad as people make it out to be and he hasn't had the same injuries his whole career.

7. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Even if Lin and Lamb had all-star year.
    Houston should give max money and length in years to Harden, if he doesn't re-up before free agency starts. Houston should put as much pressure luxury tax pressure on OKC to break-up that team because I think they could be potential dynasty team they can keep core together.

8. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I second Al Jefferson.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

no Ibaka, no Dwight, no Bynum = Al Jefferson (the best available option ...still only 27)

Al Jeff/Asik/D-Mo 4/5 rotation = bad ass!

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Kobe Bryant

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

even excluding those 3 and Chris Paul... he wouldn't even be top 5 on my list of best free agents.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i haven't checked how much cap space the Rockets are going to have, but I'd extend offers to both Harden and Pekovic. After that there'd be a couple options B and C.

Al Jefferson is not a bad idea, he might make sense next to Asik (should probably lose some 30 pounds to transition to 4).
    But I don't think he's the best idea either. Flawed, hard to build around, will be very expensive, injury risk. Not someone I'd want to build around.

13. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

I would go and sign Pekovic and Paul or any PG and SG. then i think we should be set.

Paul / Lin
    Lamb / FA
    Parson / Jones
    Donuts / White / Jones
    Pekovic / Asik

14. Aruba77

Why? you don't like 6'10" guys that average 19pts/9.6reb/1.7blocks per game, and don't turn the ball over?

Bynum had 18.7pts/11.8reb/1.9blocks per game, with more than twice the turnovers, and half the assists.

i'm not saying that Al Jeff is a better prospect than Bynum, but i'd love to see the list of 5 other FA's (excluding Dwight, Bynum, Ibaka, and Paul) who you think are better.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Harden.

He's the only top level free agent who's current team may not be able to resign him. OKC won't let him walk for free, so if he is traded, it will be at the deadline.

Martin, Lamb, Dallas 1st, and Bobcat 2nd for Harden and cap filler.

Lin / Douglas
    Harden / Delfino
    Parsons/ White
    Patterson / DMo
    Asik / Jones

Still have our 2013 pick (assuming we don't make the playoffs), and Torontos #1 (4-14). One more star makes us a CONTENDER.

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

one of the softest and otherwise limited 19-9ers you'll ever find. not a huge fan.

but i didn't say he's a terrible player either.
    just not close to best options, IMO.

Is he even the best free agent on his own team? If you are so stats-focused, look at Milsap. Who's also tough, defends and hustles too.

Best players... Harden, Pekovic, Manu, Iggy, Josh Smith probably.
    Best targets for the Rockets based on age, talent and health... Harden, Pekovic... then... probably Curry, Lawson...... then..... probably Tyreke and Josh Smith.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Some unknown player that is going to have a great stretch of games this year that will earn him a major contract with the Rockets.

18. Aruba77

You're probably right on Harden. Iggy and Smith are a wash v Jefferson. Manu is 35 (enough said). Pekovic averages few points and fewer rebounds, he's only an inch taller than Al Jeff, and they're basically the same age. Curry (injury prone) and Lawson are likely never hitting the free agent market. And did you really mention Tyreke Evens as being better than Al Jeff? Really?

Point taken on Harden, but i think it's harder to find a 19/9 PF/C than the rest of the guys you mentioned.

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

If we move the goalposts far enough, i'm sure we could end up with Jefferson in top 5 one way or another.
    But you didn't ask me to predict who's going to hit the market. Or who's going to be matched in free agency. Or whatever. You asked me who are better.

That's a simple question, and I gave a simple answer (although i doubt that you fully read it; i clearly made a separation between 'best players' and 'best targets for the Rockets', which you clearly didn't understand judging by your reply)

And re Pekovic and all those stats --- you are wrong to be so stats focused.
    Well, some stats are good. But you are focusing on the most basic ones.
    Pekovic is an extremely tough, very solid defensively big man. He's the opposite of Al Jefferson.
    Pair Pekovic with a rim protecting PF, and you are going to have one of the best defensive front courts in the NBA.

20. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Harden is likely the big target. If we can nab him from FA (or some sort of S&T) and draft a center like Golbert, we should be fine going down the line.

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Dmo
    Asik/Gobert