1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets formally ask permission to interview Mavs' Dwane Casey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Pride, Apr 21, 2011.

1. vick

vick Member

I mean us a title

2. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

My apologies, just learned that the white guy is John Kuester, and he is currently the Pistons head coach.

3. University Blue

What? Is Carlisle available and an option? Will he be available IF Portland wins the series?

I do not think Sikma has that bulldog mentality this Houston team will need against the officiating. SVG, otoh, has that mentality.

So does Brad Stevens.

4. Egghead

Egghead Member

Houston is after Dallas assistant Dwane Casey. We don’t blame them

By Kelly Dwyer

Dallas Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey has been the one who has gotten away for far too long, and it appears he might have yet another chance at a head coaching slot. ESPN's Marc Stein, who is in touch with all things Dallas-y, is reporting that the Mavericks have allowed Houston the chance to interview Casey for the Rockets' open head coaching job.

There is a catch, before we can send the well-regarded over assistant to Houston in order to mold Daryl Morey's group of "pretty good's" into the next big thing.

For one, the Mavs have requested that the Rox keep their prized assistant (and believe me, Rick Carlisle does prize Casey quite a bit) out of the interview room until after the team's first round series with Portland. Secondly, the Rockets (according to Stein) are in no hurry to make an offer even if Casey wows them right off the bat, as they wait out the postseason for other potential coaches to be ushered out of their current jobs. Especially if they work in potential coaches work in Orlando, right now.

Casey is best known as the former Minnesota Timberwolves head coach who had the pleasure of leading a terrible supporting cast plus Kevin Garnett(notes) to a 20-20 record in 2006-07 before being fired. His replacement, Randy Wittman, managed a 12-30 record after Casey was let go. Cruelly, Casey was passed over by both the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Clippers for jobs that eventually went to Vinny Del Negro, and he missed a chance to coach the Atlanta Hawks last season when the Hawks decided to go in-house with their hire. And we see how well that turned out.

This is a legitimate, knockout head-man in waiting whose basketball pedigree runs deep. While I usually wouldn't turn down the chance to have Stan Van Gundy coach my team, a person like Dwane Casey would at least give me pause.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...Dallas-assistant-Dwane-Casey-W?urn=nba-wp1852

5. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Carlisle isn't a serious candidate, but only because it is highly unlikely that the Mavs let go of him. I referred to him in my post because he was one of 10 people that the Rockets either highly regard as a coach and covet or are realistic candidates, according to the article posted above.

However, I think based on that article that if Carlisle became available this off-season that the Rockets would put him on their short list.

6. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I can never argue with hiring a guy from Kentucky that helped UK win a chip. ;) I'm in on this one.

Edit: plus... it's not like he can have recruiting violations in Houston!

7. University Blue

Oh, well, that's how rumors get started.

Brad Stevens, it is then.

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Why do people think Stevens is leaving Butler?

Moreover, why would he leave Butler to come here?

9. University Blue

Well, it would be a new challenge and adventure. If he left Butler for Houston, even as an assistant, that would mean he's up for a challenge.

I would think Houston would want that type of coach.

10. htownswami

htownswami Contributing Member

Why aren't we interviewing a Chinese coach? Morey is a racist...

1 person likes this.
  11. eman

eman Contributing Member

I hope Les will make Brad Stevens an offer he can't refuse.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Ever heard of Joe Smith ad the Wolves?

13. Gertso

Gertso Member

I can't stop laughing to myself that Les would pick a black coach because they would only listen to "one of their own" or something. Les strikes me as being so out of touch that he would think that...even with plenty of euro players, a redneck and the whitest guy in the NBA.

14. Hayesfan

no, I haven't, educate me!

I was actually just being silly with that comment.. I wasn't (and am still not) a big fan of Eddie Sutton and Casey was the semi-scapegoat on that whole debacle.

15. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

huh??

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Wolves lost 5 first round picks over recruiting violations with Joe Smith.

17. Hayesfan

wasn't that a GM thing though... not a coach thing?

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the wolves were a top 10 defensive team under casey.

he assisted pete newell, eddie sutton, george carl, and now rick carlisle. i think he's gotta be the favorite for the job.

#38 smoothie, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but who did THAT guy replace? ;)

20. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

[​IMG]