1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fire Jeff Bzdelik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, May 18, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wrong thread.

2. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Meh. Read Feigen's actual story in the Chronicle at https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...don-t-keep-their-defensive-coach-13856388.php.

From the quotes and allusions in the article, it looks to me like Bzdelik wasn't keen on returning, and Morey is trying to make Bzdelik's exit look like a termination.

I like Morey, but this smells like a GM trying to make his owner think, in the absence of a change of head coach or top players, that he's imposing accountability. Unseemly, if you ask me. And misplaced, given the stagnation and systematic shortcomings of our offense.

MiddleMan, gatsby, jboslett and 6 others like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I won’t get too much into it but the Rockets were not happy with the lack of adjustments on defense in the GS series and how GS was getting back picks and the match ups they wanted.

4. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Could we not at least get a month past our wound before pouring salt into it? Guess not. If we do not see Thibs or a Van Gundy walk through that door we just took a step back defensively.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

He is 66. Don't mind the change. However, he was a solution, not a problem area. So strange to start here. It's like he's a nice guy or giving hand jobs in an alley for rent, who knows, but here we go.

daywalker02, mikol13 and YallMean like this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

Whatever. I mean if Bzdelik is wishy washy about if he wants to return, then its best to part ways now so we can line up a replacement.

RudyTBag likes this.
  7. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Doesn’t sound like something Morey would do. This reeks of the owner, Tilman.

MiddleMan and sirjesse like this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

People forget Morey came from Boston where the horrendous people with bad character live. This guy has never sat well with me.

9. TheresTheDagger

Jeff Bzdelik and his time with this team will be one of those weird stories that follows the Rockets for 10 years that nobody can figure out. Then, when all the players involved are gone from Houston, it will come out in somebodies biography how jacked up the situation really was.

gatsby likes this.
  10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

2 weeks ago you were telling me you knew the NBA was rigged. Something doesn't add up here?

bmelo likes this.
  11. Theking

Theking Member

The houston rockets select LaMelo Ball?

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Thibs coming?

13. Mr. Space City

MDA without Bzdelik? That’s a scary sight.

14. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Bzdelik getting fired and MDA still having a job is just not right.......Just depressing.......

15. smp

smp Member

If I'm Tilman I would do the same thing. Tell him to go if he's not committed. You don't need a coach who has one foot out the door and already bailed on you once.

Either you are in or out. He's out.

Newlin and alethios like this.
  16. smp

smp Member

They kept getting us to switch Capela on to their guards at the 3 point line. Then they would roast him. Over and over again. Once they blew by him there was nobody big enough to defend the paint. We kept falling for it, giving them exactly what they wanted. They knew we would switch so they got to pick the matchup.

The season started like that and we adjusted such that Capela stopped switching. At some point we went back to it. We can't switch Clint on to guards. He can't stay with them. It also puts him out of position to block shots and rebound. It makes him look like a fool. Everyone else can switch, just not Capela.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m glad we have cooler heads in the front office then we do on this board. Sheesh...

jordnnnn likes this.
  18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The 14th pick terrible drafting by Daryl Morey

14th pick Marcus Morris
    15th pick Kawhi Leonard by Pacers traded to Spurs

14th pick Steven Adams traded to OKC before draft for James Harden
    15th pick Giannis Antetekounmpo by Milwaukee

Well if the Rockets kept that pick, the Rockets would've selected a bust

19. dwhite

dwhite Member

I was told a coach was getting fired by the Rockets....just assumed it was D’Antoni. Last chance to retain Faried was firing MDA, so he has played his last game as well.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think you might be misreading it, Will. From what I can tell, Tilman and Morey were both pissed off that Bzdelik bailed last year at a critical juncture because he was irritated that the club decided to bring Melo in, with everyone knowing that Melo had torpedoed his HC gig in Denver a while back.

Then we get off to a terrible start and Tilman/Morey have to come begging Biglydik to come back (at a sizable bump in salary). Tilman/Morey know that the three keys to our bad start were: 1) Melo not fitting, 2) Morey's other off-season moves, and, most importantly for this particular thread, 3) Biglydik inexplicably throwing the team into pre-season turmoil in what should have been a run-at-the-title year.

Flash forward to the end of that disappointing season and Biglydik refuses to say whether he wants to come back next year. The LAST thing Tilman/Morey want to deal with this year is more uncertainty come September and October, when everyone should be focused on the season ahead. So Morey says, "What do you wanna do, Boss?" and Tilman says, "Fire his ass. I ain't goin' through this **** again."

Behind the scenes drama isn't pretty, especially with the spectacular flameout of the Melo experiment. Bzdelik no doubt feels he was right to jump ship with Melo coming on board, but Tilman (and maybe even Morey) likely think that the ship-jumping by the team's Defensive Mastermind played a pretty big role in the terrible start from which we never quite recovered.

TL;DR: This isn't Morey trying to save face about Biglydik leaving, this is Tilman saying, "You helped f$#k up my freshman year as owner and now you're threatening to do it again? Here's a box for you to put your **** in."

#240 topfive, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    mikol13 and NotInMyHouse like this.