1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fire Jeff Bzdelik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, May 18, 2019.

1. Remlap

Remlap Member

But let's not forget. Melo did MDA wrong in NY.
    Remember Linsanity? Melo wanted to have his touches and be the 'star'.
    Never would run MDA's system.
    Melo goes down with an injury for a few weeks, Jeremy Lin steps in and runs MDA's
    system to perfection and a star IS born. The Knicks go on a tear, Lin is scoring
    30 pts/game and all is well in NYC. J Lin proves that MDA's system WORKS if you run it correctly.
    New Yorkers are loving their 'new' team.
    Until Melo comes back, that is. Once he comes back, offense goes through Melo and the Knicks
    go back to being. . . The Knicks
    RESULT? D'Antoni gets fired and is the scapegoat. But he knows Melo is the clog in the drain
    and the cause of his being run out of town.
    I believe Bzdelik had much the same experience in Denver with Melo (they both had a history with Melo).

Once we stumbled out of the gate at the beginning of the season I'm sure
    Melo was scrutinized and maybe rightfully so. After all, I believe the Melo signing was more for CP
    than either of our coaches.

Melo comes on, Bzdelik immediately announces his 'retirement'.
    Rox start on a sour note, Melo soon gets canned, Bzdelik comes back, Rockets start winning again as defense improves.
    Coincidence?

2. buffalobills!!!

lol FOH

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jeff Bzdelik, the Rockets’ associate head coach who guided the team’s defensive turnaround last season, was let go on Saturday.

“Jeff’s contract was up; it will not be renewed,” Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. “We’re looking for any way to improve. That goes for players, coaches, front office, everything.”

Morey said Bzdelik did a “fantastic” job.

“We’re looking for any ways we can do better,” Morey said.

The Rockets had the 18th-ranked defense last season, but it was the No. 2 defense after the All-Star break. The team had the seventh-ranked defense in the NBA in the 2017-18 season.

Former Rockets assistant coach Jeff Bzdelik could be a candidate to join Jim Boylen’s staff in Chicago, tweets K.C. Johnson of The Chicago Tribune. The Rockets decided not to pursue a new contract with Bzdelik. He briefly retired from the game last fall before rejoining the Rockets in November. Bzdelik hasn’t decided if he wants to keep coaching next season, but Johnson notes that the Bulls still have an opening to fill.

mikol13 and Vivi like this.
  4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I just don't understand the thought process. We want to beat GS.. so our answer is Levin Love? A player who's playoff history shows that if you want to have a chance of beating GS the answer was to bench Kevin love? Thats exactly what Cleveland had to do to be competitive. They had to bench Kevin Love in numerous 4th quarters.

Richie_Rich and Zboy like this.
  5. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

We were basically last in defense until we resigned Jeff. So to go from essentially last place to end up 18th and be 2nd post allstar break shows his importance.. and shows how bad we were before Bzdelik

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Head coach on final season of contract. Fresh new assistant on new contract. What could possibly go wrong?

This is headed for a mid season train wreck. I'll say it again: extend MDA or let him go. We absolutely cannot afford to go through a mid season coaching change. The window is barely open.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I would love Rick Carlisle on this team.

Unfortunately, Cuban is too smart to let him go. Which is why he has kept him all this time.

slothy420 and J.R. like this.
  8. hibbetts

hibbetts Member

He’s a scapegoat for the front office not willing to pay for proper personnel.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I hate to see them move on, but I have to believe that if they are moving on this early they have someone in mind. I'll wait and see. I allow for the possibility it's a terrible decision.

Nook likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Considering Feigen just writes what the team tells him, it's pretty douchey that they claimed to FIRE a man who's contract is up, who achieved plenty this season and who is thinking about retirement.

Classic cheapskate Tilman move. All about appearances, no substance.

Little Bit and Richie_Rich like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't see it as a big deal to be honest. Rogers watched it all last season. He attempted it early this season. Then watched Bzdelik fix it again.

Rogers or someone on the staff is going to be able to implement this defense. Honestly though, our problem was not defensive strategy.

Our problems were:

- defensive personnel
    - needed some extra kinks in the offense off the ball

But I'm genuinely not worried about losing Bzdelik. It's just the way it was done reeks.

#192 Mathloom, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
  13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

He's 66 and his contract was up. Wasn't sure he was coming back so they let him go. Doesn't sound like he was "fired" to me but no matter. D'Antoni is on the last year of his contract so I don't expect him do do anything different. It's too late to expect any changes from him.

14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He was a diva. Good riddance

15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

You notice how Reggie gets so many of our games too? Why cant they put JVG on our games.. Reggie drives me crazy.

malakas and bj3175 like this.
  16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I cant believe we are talking about Melo.

He is trash and should never have been signed.

One of Morey's biggest mistakes.

He did his damage even in the 10 games he played.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  17. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Can he hire van Gundy, his defence is very good in yao era

18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

We need money for the next coach when D'Antoni hangs up his jacket. I truly believe if Rockets won championship this season, D'Antoni and his staff not coming back due to age.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I can’t believe the Harden era is gonna end this way. This is just friggin sad man. Only thing you do is laugh it away haha.

In Morey we trust

pippendagimp likes this.
  20. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

You don't. And he didn't.