1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Fans in NYC

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tycoonchip, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

I used to live in Bed Stuy On Clifton between Bedford and Nostrand, but now I live uptown..way uptown in Inwood (northern tip of Manhattan)

212th and Broadway!

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Voice of Reason live just out of NY

3. mos-def

mos-def Member

the cellar! haha, yeah, i spent some time there, thats on vanderbilt. actually, i quit drinkin, so i don't spend time no where except the studio!! yeah. i am on washington between lafayette and green. keep me posted, like i said, i am damned busy but i am down to meet for a big game 7!!!

4. ttboy

ttboy Member

No kidding? So you're on the same block as the library, right? I'm on Greene between Adelphi and Carlton.

5. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Welcome to New York, tycoonchip!

I'm another transplanted Houstonian: grew up in Houston, went to college at UT, after some adventures in California I now live in Brooklyn. I think of this site as a sacred link to the Rockets and to my roots.

Just want to second everything that across110th, especially the part about giving New York at least a year or so. Takes some time to adjust.

If there's ever another outing, preferabley fora game NOT nationally televised--(because we can watch those for free and now I'm a cheap, broke grad student) -- definitely let me know.

(btw -- what does your handle mean? i used to work for Intel; curious if it has anything to do with computer chips) . . .

6. funky

funky Member

Just out of curiosity, am i the furthest fan from Houston? I am in Paris. :)))

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Originally posted by mos-def
    i am on washington between lafayette and green

washington between DeKalb and Willoughby, near Pratt University and Mike's Diner.

we are all practically three blocks away from each other!

I say we meet up at Cellars for a playoff game.the Jamaican bartender loves the Rockets, she said.

If you see a guy with Rockets gear, give a shout out.

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Welcome to fabled NYC. Watch out for crazy people and try to not step in any pools of urine. Also, be prepared to pay $15 for a cocktail and $10 for movie tickets (when it's not sold out :rolleyes: ).

Yeah, I live in NYC, but probably not for long (my wife and I detest the city, and our lease is up in August). I currently live on 24th St. near the Flatiron Building, and I've lived downtown for all 3 1/2 years I've been here.

I don't go to sports bars all that much, but I HAVE made the trek uptown to Ship of Fools to watch a few games with a good friend of mine (also from Houston). It's a pretty good place to watch sports. The food is actually decent, too, and since I hate NYC trendy places, the crappy decor is okay by me. People get really riled up there, so the atmosphere is cool. The Back Page is an all right place, too. Of course, the ultimate sports bar is ESPN SportsZone, but it's crazy busy, and the food is merely average and expensive. (Plus, I tend to avoid Times Square as much as humanly possible.)

As for Knicks fans, they really don't bother me. Their team stinks, so fans aren't really apt to run their mouths. Plus, the whole "my Rockets beat your stupid Knicks in 93" thing really ends any argument very quickly. You'll soon find that Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Giants, Mets, Jets, and Islanders fans are not bad at all. Yankees fans, however, are the absolute WORST (probably in the entire country), followed by Devils fans (WTF? I don't even LIKE hockey; stop arguing with me!). I work with an office full of Yankees fans (and I also work in sports), so here are my quick "4 Rules for Dealing with Yankees Fans" (yeah, wrong forum and sport, but this info is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for n00b New York residents):

1) Do not reason with them or use logic. Your words will fall on deaf ears.
    2) Do not mention the words "salary" and "cap." See #1.
    3) Do not mention the word "parity." Also see #1.
    4) Do not EVER claim that the Red Sox can beat the Yankees (unless you like to see people spontaneously combust).

BTW, is this NY-Houston Association meeting anytime soon in the near future?

9. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

league pass was showing games for free for a while, but I think it's stopped. But the Rockets make it to national TV all the time now - ABC, ESPN, TNT - I think I've watched 20 of the big games this year already.

I don't think any New Yorker will give you a hard time rooting for your team in a bar because they will just think you're a JVG fan, in fact, JVG is still pretty popular. There are a lot of Lakers fan here though.

My advice is just go to a local bar and ask them to turn it on to the Rockets game. Most likely you'll actually find the neighborhood people to buck most of the stereotypes placed upon them...and you may make a few friends.

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I live on w.36th and 9th. I just moved to the city and am going to the French Cullinary Institute of New York. So hey I don't mind providing food, I just want to meet up with more die hard Rockets fans. I'm also getting sick at how they call houston HOW STON! ARGH!!! Puddle of piss..... yeah i found out about those the hard way.... I remembered though don't eat the Yellow Snow! I went to some bar called the patriot and that was kinda fun. It's on chambers street close to tribeca. I'm right at midtown so anyone wanna look me PLEASE DO! My phone number 832 618 0488....

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

12. ttboy

ttboy Member

Uh, look, we don't call the city of Houston "How-ston"--but Houston Street IS pronounced "How-ston." The city and the street were named after two different people, who obviously pronounced their names differently. New Yorkers don't go to Houston and tell Houstonians they're saying the name of their city wrong, so don't come to NYC and make an uninformed comment like yours. With that said, come playoff time, we should all definitely organize a group get-together to watch some games, given how so many of us Rockets fans on this site are in NY.

13. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

That sounds great I'd love to meet up with some Rockets fans in NY. There is a game on Friday against Golden State which I think will be broadcasted on ESPN and I was wondering if anyone wanted to meet up. If so let's start organizing a time to meet up and watch the game. Sorry about the Howston comment. I didn't know there were two different people. My apartment landlord is a big knicks fan and he's claiming that in a couple years the Knicks will be alot better than the rockets.

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

That's cool and all, but why didn't you guys spell it right? If you're gonna name a street after someone, the least you could do is bother to spell it correctly. If you're going to spell it like another name, then at least pronounce it correctly. That's all we ask. If you're gonna continue to spell it "Houston," most of us will continue to pronounce it something like: Hue-ston.

Nothing personal; we just like a little consistency (except from our basketball team).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Street

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Do you live in a "How"se or a "Hue"se

Is it Mickey Mouse or Mickey Moose?

Do you call the former chargers QB Dan "Foootz"

Guess who's pronouncing it wrong? Hint: it ain't new yorkers or Londoners....

16. Pole

Do you play a bass guitar when you are fishing for bass?

Would you close that door when you get close to it?

As we deliberate, I'm annoyed with your deliberate attempts to confuse the issue with meaningless pronunciation examples.

I project that this project of yours will fail.

Sam Houston, for which our fair city was named, pronounced his name: Hue-ston

William Houstoun, for which Houston street in NYC is named, spelled his name differently than Sam.

Again, all I ask is that you either spell it correctly or say it correctly.

17. ttboy

ttboy Member

Sam Houston did not have a monopoly on how "Houston" must be pronounced. "Spell it correctly or say it correctly"? Was there a papal bull I missed that deemed Sam's pronunciation "correct"? Why don't you go to Arkansas (Arkansaw) and tell them they spelled the name of their state incorrectly? Or go to Worcester, Massachusetts, and tell them they're failing to pronounce the "rce" in their town's name. We have documents on which Shakespeare signed his name "Shakespere," I guess we're all spelling his name wrong nowadays. Come to think of it, Sam spelled his own name wrong: if he wanted it pronounce Hue-ston, he should've spelled it "Huston" like the great filmmaker John Huston. Gimme a break.

18. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

You've got big chip on your shoulder don't you?

19. Pole

That's ironic. It was the chips on the shoulders of you guys that I was taking aim at.

Honestly, I don't care one way or the other.......I was just jacking with you guys. The street is in New York, and you guys pronounce it How-ston. Therefore, that's the way the street should be pronounced. NYC is a fun place to visit, and I know to pronounce that street differently than the way I pronounce the name of my city.

I just couldn't resist messing with ttboy when he got all upset about someone mispronouncing a street that someone decided to spell differently than the guy the street was named after.

20. Varunan

Varunan Contributing Member

Sounds good. Can't do this Friday (family coming in), but when playoffs roll around, I'm all for for it. On top of that, a buddy of mine, here at NYU, is from Houston and he's also a diehard Rockets fan (he knows I'm a bigger one tho --- I'm from Toronto btw). He's actually in Madrid right now, but when he gets back, I know he'll be down too. Sound good?