1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets eye Brooks-Lowry combo in the backcourt- Rockets.com

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Sep 29, 2009.

1. dexkk

dexkk Member

I agree, it works depending on match-ups and change of pace. I can't see this as the starting lineup. You give up too much defensively.

2. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

lowry's only able to guard 2's like sasha vujacic. can't expect him to guard the 6'4 and above 2's in the league.

3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

:confused: :confused: ???

so kyle can guard a guard like Sasha Vujacic whos freakin' 6'7 and he can't guard someone who's 6'4 and above??? am I missing something??? :eek:

4. Francis 4 ever

yea sasha sucks thats why.

5. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Great!!!!! We can have the smallest back court in the NBA......and Monte Ellis was complaining about how Golden state was going to have a small back court with him and curry both being 6'3....thats nothing, were going to have a 6'0 back court......at least will be fast :(

-rocketblaze

6. verse

verse Contributing Member

I am utterly flabbergasted that people still believe we're going to be even an adequate defensive club. Not only do we have no interior defensive presence (a paint protector), we now are looking at relying on a backup point guard to guard western conference 2 guards. In short spurts, that worked last year, but that is completely different than asking kyle to run up and down the floor for 35mpg, running the show, and turning around and defending the opposing 2. The idea is foolish, if we're expecting it to be defensively adequate.

Those suggesting Shane to play the 4 (wtf??) are even more delusional. I have no problems with Ariza starting at the 3, since he actually LIKES to run and is very capable of defending the 1estern 3s. But Shane at 4? JVG tried that with a younger Shane and he got obliterated in the post. Despite his length at 6'8, he does not have the requisite strength, center of gravity, length, or leaping instincts to even be a fly in the ointment of Western 4s. Now factor in that Sane does NOT like to run the floor and where exactly do you see him fitting in? Even in the halfcourt set, he'd be a nonfactor, as long 4s can dart out to the coffin corner to challenge his 3 with no fear of him putting the ball on the floor and going to the bucket.

Wow.

We are looking at not only losing, but getting our collective butts handed to us until McG gets back. The first half of the schedule is BRUTAL. LA 2x, Port 2x, SA, Pho, Den, et al will be licking their chops at the prospect of facing that lineup as Kobe, Roy, Gino/Jeff, JRich, Smith, etc are ALL capable of burning fullcourt and/or posting on the blocks.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Ellis and curry both have the same talent, which is scoring, but they go about it in different ways. Either way, they need the ball, which is why it wont work. With Lowry and Brooks, you got one offensively oriented player, and then you have a more traditional pg who plays D. Height may be an issue, but it all depends on who they are facing, aside from that, it should work...especially is Lowry became a solid spot up shooter.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

sasha is about 6'6, maybe 6'7

9. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

i dont understand why people are panicking from an article stating that they will "eye" the combo. they did not say that this is the starting line-up. The rockets are going to explore all of their options and experiment with certain combinations that my excel in certain situations.

Lets leave it up to adelman to make the right decisions for our team. his track record has justified just a smigeon of faith in the guy. lets just see what happens instead of freaking out. If a combination isnt working out, i trust that the rockets staff will make adjustments.

i would be more concerned about our lack of inside presence and lack of rebounding than any offensive combination that RA may want to experiment with.

10. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

Kyle Lowry does not believe he can share the floor with Aaron Brooks.

"Us together? No," Lowry said. "Can't. We just can't. ... Just can't."
    Lowry was then asked by a member of the media if he understands that the Rockets do believe the guards can play together.

"They say you can?" Lowry repeated. "They say you can ... but you can't. I just want to win and you're not going to win that way."

"You can't put two small guys out there and play the one and the two. You've got big two-guards in the league. You just can't do it. Yes, you're going to move up and down but eventually the game is going to slow down. You can't do it."

11. abc2007

abc2007 Member

What Lowry does the best is attacking the basket. He needs to improve his shooting. But as you said, he is a traditional pg. His task is playmaking, creating for his teammates. I cannot see he will develop into a spot up shooter.

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

btw, I am wondering why JCF wrote an article about Brooks and Lowry in training camp day 1? I really want to know how our rookies do in training camp.

13. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

He also said this..

“Aaron’s a scorer and I’m a guy that does the intangible things,” explains Lowry. “So he can come off the ball and spot up, while I push the ball down the floor and make plays. We just play off each other very, very well.

“I think we make a good combination. And having a guy like Trevor (Ariza) running the wing with us - that’s a high-flying group right there.”

:confused:

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Well he's not a terrible shooter. He usually hits when he's open, he just seems to rush some shots or not always shoot high % shots. He's supposed to have worked on his J more than anything this summer, so that's what i'm hoping for, that he did improve

15. amaru

amaru Member

Wow......if this is our starting line-up, then it will be a LOOOOOONG season.

Bigger guards or guards with Billups-type games are going to KILL us!

:(

16. abc2007

abc2007 Member

So, Lowry said he will make plays and AB will spot up...
    AB said thought he will make plays and Lowry will spot up... ;)

Actually, they both need the ball to be effective...

17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yeah it sucks!!!!, I like lowry(I think his a great point),But I cant even imagine how lowry (or brooks) will guard Kobe, D-Wade, Durant, Roy,etc.......Uhh this is going to be one really long long season, one up side is we might have a good chance at "John Wall".....:D

[​IMG]

-rocketblaze

18. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Sasha is a girl, thats the one you are missing.
    :D

19. amaru

amaru Member

But, there is hope..........Morey is not injured!!!

:cool:

20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

oh...but I thought he played in the NBA...not the WNBA......maybe we should get the Lakers nba title erased due to them fielding players of mixed gender on the court??? ;)