1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Dragic Far Apart, Return Unlikely?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Holy cow ! Did he age in dog years last year?

DD

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Dragic's offer was the same thing as letting him walk, or accept a decent salary as the backup next season. Im going to guess that the salary offered was a moderate mid-level high calliber back-up PG type salary.

So, yes they are choosing Lowry for the time being as their starter. The offer was a formality and an amicable offer to say we would love to have you back, but this is what we are offering. If you want to walk for more money, then so be-it. We wish you good luck.

Here's some news for you.... Lowry has always been disgruntled, KMart has always easily been butthurt(remember Sacramento), and Scola has always been the ultimate professional.

They have all gotten along being who they are in the past, there is no reason to think that they wont be able to continue breathing being the same people they always have been in the past.

1 person likes this.
  3. dobro1229

So your saying he's a "young coach???"

Do you want a veteran, established coach, or do you want a young wipping boy coach?

Sounds like Obamafan wants both.

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

well... we need a point guard, so signing him at the right price would be a good deal

5. dobro1229

WOAH WOAH WOAH... that makes way too much sense. Get out of here with your LOGIC, and your REASON.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

He's asking for 10 but that doesn't mean he'll get it. If he does then he should take it, but don't lowball him. I'd say our walk away amount should be around 8

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think the gulf is huger than that.

It's going to be based on years, too. The Slovenian poster (gregori) said that's what they are hearing back home.

If Goran asks:
    $10m starting and max 5 years, and
    Rockets say
    $8m for 3 with team option for a 4th (no-guaranteed)

then they seem way off.

I'm willing to bet we are much further away. I bet we offered an identical contract as Lowry got, but with a starting salary equal to what Lowry gets today.

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i honestly dont know how bad lowry/mchale is but i do know it seemingly happened after lowry came back from his injury

guy comes back and comes off the bench - fine its the right thing to do but then team goes on crazy losing streak and player is healthy now and is not given his starting job back - understandable why he would be upset

i think mchale and lowry can make up (again unless there is more info that hasnt been put out there) since it seems lowry will be the clear cut #1 guy

AB sulked big time after losing his starting spot like Lowry did but the difference is that AB had an actual physical injury, lowry's was an infection. unfortunately for KL he came back at the end of season and basically had no real time frame to be able to show he deserves that starting spot back - despite the losing streak -- brooks had far more time to prove himself and didnt do as hot either. Stuff like this happens

but rockets were willing to move lowry if they were able to keep dragic because lowry is a proven commodity on one of the best deals in the league - easily the most attractive trade piece and if any deal that requires a big time player coming to houston probably requires lowry in it - but then again at the beginning of the season the only untouchable was Lowry - that may happen again who knows

we've all seen player/coach feuds before and how many times have we seen the player go before the coach if the player is one of the best player if not the best player on the team.

if anything Goran is have illusions of grandeur asking for 10 million, he is worth the 7-8 million a 4 year deal worth 30 million i think would be fair for him.

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Especially if we are gonna lose Dragic for sure. Thats the only way to properly replace Dragic if we are so far apart to signing him as people say we are.

10. valorita

valorita Member

whether we keep lowry or trade him...
    whether we sign dragic or let him go...

i can't picture a scenario where both return and are happy here.

11. dobro1229

Whomever is left on the roster will be the starting PG on an NBA team making a fairly nice salary, and has a good chance at making the all-star team.

Obviously if both players are on the roster it not be the greatest thing for lockeroom morale, but that would mean that they got Dragic on a reasonable contract, and the Rockets have another great asset.

That being said, I dont think there is anyone in the world that believes Lowry and Dragic will both be on the Rockets roster next season. If they can lock up Dragic, then teams will be chomping at the bit to get Lowry in a trade that really works.

12. nickg

nickg Member

Flawed argument. Lowry had Kmart and an actual bench at the begining of the season. Dragic had no Kmart and absolutely no one coming off the bench at the 1 or 2. Also went through some tough competition. Sorry.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Woj tweet makes it sound like they are still talking, which makes me think everything so far is just posturing. That makes me think he will eventually sign, unless another GM loses his mind. That's good.

What's bad is that playing hardball means it will drag way, way out. That is bad, since it means you can't trade Lowry, probably the most valuable chip you have, until the Dragic thing plays out.

14. mazinger

mazinger Member

Almost everyone here thinks Lee is better than Martin so what's your point? Also, Lowry and Martin didn't have Camby.

15. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

5 will get you 10? Dragon was a hoot but at 10 mil give him the boot. Kyle talks better smack anyway. yuk yuk. p.s. It ain't over till it's ....Lin time? geez this is getting weird.

Can't wait for Summer league and luv watchin Dallas go down baby !

16. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I think Cuban will sign him now that Dwill is gone..

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
    Had the Nets lost out on Deron Williams, they were prepared to make a run at Goran Dragic with a $9 million a year offer, sources tell Y!

18. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

umm..I do believe Lowry was quoted recently as saying he could stay in Houston. I believe the team there is named the Rockets, no?

Now that's an asset I can live with in October Mr Proof! lol.....

19. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Lin on a poison pill contract averaging 6M and some over three > Goran at 9M per

20. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

so, dragic has to take Morey's offer now. I dont think suns will make a high offer