1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Draft Prospects Workout Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jet Blast, May 19, 2009.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well budinger shot up in the latest mock drafts, he's now in the mid-lottery....

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Any news on everyone's favorite Aussie, "Bad Ass" Brad Newly? Anyways, whoever we draft will be a big disappointment on draft day, but will eventually win over the fans. See, Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry.

3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Man, you read my mind!! When I read an article on his workouts and he mentioned that he workout for the Rockets, I knew right then the Rockets where going after their annual 6-6" - 6'7" small (power forward). This is beginning to bean annual thing with them. Who ever started this ritual needs to be fired - quickly. The Rockets need to look at both teams that made the NBA Finals. The Lakers do not draft or sign players that are under a certain height range; it's all about who you target. I'm of the philosophy that a small player only has so much fight, before he ultimately circums to the larger player. Look back at all of the Rockets playoff series from 05' until now. Dallas had larger players in their back court and upfront(Stackhouse, Howard, and Dirk Nowitski), Utah (Williams, AK - 47, etc.) Lakers (Odom, Gasol,etc.). Portland has a serious height advantage over us as well but I think they were too young. When the Rockets re-think their philosophy they will become a serious contender..

4. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

LOL good thing you aren't the GM. With this mentality you wouldn't work out any players just because you don't have a pick.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You know, I used to love learning everything about every draft prospect the Rockets might be interested in in the weeks before the draft. Now, I don't even bother. In the end, Morey is going to draft some guy I never saw coming and I'm going to be glad he did.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Joey Dorsey? ;)

7. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Joey Dorsey hasn't played a single game; lets wait until draft time next year to judge.

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

true, leading up to the draft is much more boring, esp considering we don't even know where the rox will pick(though at least we are pretty sure they will buy their way in there somewhere).

But, it sure as hell makes draft day that much more exciting. Unlike the past, there's not a feeling that we are throwing away picks just because we are picking later in the draft.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am sure Morey will find a way into the draft. I wonder who he likes at number 5, if he was inquiring about Washingtons pick.

10. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I disagree about this part. Joe has the first step to off the dribble to create separation. Unfortunately, its his ball handling and change of direction skills that limits his ability to drive to the basket....

11. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I like Buddingers game.

12. Egghead

Egghead Member

13. towW

towW Member

If we're getting a late second round SG I'd take a look at Daniel Hackett. He has pretty good court vision can create and shoot from what i've seen.
    Kind of reminds me of Mike Bibby.
    VS. Oklahoma

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that was my mistake then, i dont know what link i clicked, but now i'm looking at more of them and they all have him in the 20s, one has him in the late lottery....i guess i accidently clicked an old one.

15. Egghead

Egghead Member

Morey maybe interested in Patty Mills...

got this from nbadraft.net

Reebok's annual Eurocamp in Treviso, Italy got underway Saturday with all 30 teams represented. A number of GMs are here including New York's Donnie Walsh, Dallas' Donnie Nelson, Phoenix's Scott Brooks, and Houston's Darryl Moray. A few coaches made the trip over too including Mike D'Antoni.

Heres what Patty Mills did at the camp:
    Patrick Mills (16 PTS, 6-13 FG, 2-3 3PT, 1 AST)

Even though Mills scored the ball fairly well, he was not really able to show anything new in order to dispel the concerns surrounding his game. Obviously his quickness and speed are top notch, and his size or lack thereof will never change, but he had a chance to prove that he can run a team and that he can be a contain type defender. His shot is smooth and he was able to knock down a couple from beyond the arc, but he did not show many instances of being a facilitator or distributor. He looked to create his own opportunities and did so with good success, but what will get him to the next level is not his scoring… rather his ability to make plays for others. Defensively, his frame is so light that he has a hard time keeping aggressive guards from getting into the lane simply because he cannot cut off their lanes. Overall, his performance did very little to slow the dropping of his stock and he will need to show more in the next two days if anything is to change.

.. o ya heres the link http://www.nbadraft.net/node/6460

16. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

You know how weak this draft is when you see that Tyler Hansbrough is projected at 20... Last year he would have been undrafted lol

17. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

18. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Theyd draft rubio because they need a point guard, and rubio likely wont sign with mephis or oaklahoma.
    And theyd draft mills based on the fact that he is the most talented player left on the board.

19. worzel gummidge

The article didn't say the Rockets have interest, only that Morey was in Treviso, but so were the other 29 teams in the NBA.

20. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I'm looking for under the radar athletic Sg/Sf out there..is Derrick Brown? or Damion James? a fit for Morey..we need a 2 or 3 that can create off the dribble pull up or drive..