1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Draft Prospects Workout Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jet Blast, May 19, 2009.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Really? Why the obsession with Chase Budinger of all people? How the hell has this thread become a Chase Budinger thread when the Rockets apparently haven't even had the guy in for a work out?

btw, I have given up on trying to figure out who the Rockets should draft. After Brooks and Landry and all the crazy moves last year that resulted in Ron Artest wearing a Rockets uniform, I've decided Morey and his team might be smarter than me. :D

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Apparently, the T-Wolves have organized big workout are working out a bunch of potential first rounders (including Budinger) on June 2-3. The Rockets are expected to be one of the teams attending the workout.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I would not mind Patrick Mills. He was impressive in the Olympics. Yes, he's small, the Rockets are likely just buying late 1st or 2nd round picks and, at that spot, you are just stockpiling potential contributors at any spot anyway.

4. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Word-on-the-Street-June-2nd-3241

That would be the 25th pick, same spot we had last year. Most of the players we're working out should be able by that pick. Personally I want us to draft Chase.

Mullens wouldn't be a bad idea but OKC will likely take him if they can acquire the Pistons pick.

5. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

6. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I personally don't like the big-hyped-up college players (except in the Blake Griffin) , I personally wouldn't mind a solid player like Sam Young. He might not have a lot long-term upside, but he's a good (not great great like the media make him out to be) athlete and can shoot it, although he does need to improve on his mechanics somewhat.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Perkins is solidly placed at the 5 for them. Glen at the 4.

8. jogo

jogo Member

If going for a C, I think Nevill is possible. There aren't many centers, so maybe we go PF and let Scola or someone through a trade be backup C? For the PFs I like Gibson, Lyons, and Lawal. Lawal might be unobtainable but he is listed as possibly able to be a backup C. For PG I'm Teague all the way, though we probably don't need a PG (but maybe for best player available if we get a draft pick).

9. rvpals

rvpals Member

Is there any chance in hell that we can get Stephon Curry?

Imagine a dead eye shooter with the daylights Yao creates, no team can front Yao any more if we could have a shooter like him.

10. worzel gummidge

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...articleid=1176263&srvc=sports&position=recent

11. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Jack Sikma for big man scouting..are we goin for BJ Mullens?

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

if we're comparing athletic ability, i'd rather have this kid on the roster than White..i still don't think white's hops and athleticism translates into an NBA game well...i'm not even sure if he's that athletic, just long and jumps high. this kid Taylor has some Francis-type athleticism and dunking style that works within a game. Anyone know about his shooting stroke?

13. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I don't think he had a bad year. I see where your coming from but he still has time...

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

he was a very late first rounder about a month ago, i think recently the projections moved him up to the early twenties

15. 1individual

1individual Member

How about Patrick Mills? Hes a speedy point guard like Brooks who performed well in the Olympics.

16. rockets_fanatic

I've seen both guys play, and I think Mills is a much better point guards. He may be short, but he looks much stronger and is a better passer.

17. Raven

Raven Member

I don't think he'll fall to the bottom of the first, and the Rockets would probably have to cough up more than money to get into the top half of the draft. Plus, he's extremely raw, correct?

The Rockets need a veteran big man and a veteran point guard, and both will be rotation players on a team with championship aspirations. That doesn't sound like BJ Mullins. In truth, I'd be surprised to see the Rockets throw guaranteed money at a first round pick. It just doesn't sound like something Morey would do unless the guy is really special.

18. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I think all the Joe Alexander/Chase Budinger comparisons are really really superficial. Budinger's game and skill set is a lot more comparable to a guy like Brandon Rush.

Both played at big time programs and came in with high expectations. Both were labeled lottery picks as soon as they got to school, but their stock gradually faded as they performed well, but didn't really dominate the way you need to in order to become a lottery guy (Rush ended up going around 15, but was projected by most to fall into the 20's).

Both guys are exceptional athletes but neither is really quick/explosive enough to blow by people on a consistent basis. Both can knock down open shots from the perimeter.

They're the kind of guys who won't be stars at the next level due to a lack of elite explosiveness, but they'll be able to do a lot of the same things they did in college and make strong contributions on very good teams.

I think if you can get a guy with Budinger's combination of skills in the mid 20's, where the Rockets seems to be trying to buy in, then you go for it. He fills the role of a wing player who can shoot and finish (which could be especially crucial if Von goes elsewhere).

1 person likes this.
  19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree to a certain extent, but its going to be real easy to get a 1st round pick in this draft and if the right player is there for Morey I see him pulling the trigger. This is a PG rich draft.

20. AB#0

AB#0 Member

Anyone like Jodie Meeks? Correct me I am wrong but he led the nation in scoring, He had a 54 point game this year. He's a fantastic scorer. He looks like another Wafer. He could be another guy who can shoot out of Yaos/AB/T-Mac kick out.