1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Draft Prospects Workout Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jet Blast, May 19, 2009.

1. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Thats what i'm talkin abouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut!

2. Egghead

Egghead Member

I Think Utah will take a player like Budinger

3. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

I can definitely see the rockets taking/buying jodie meeks. he would be a great fit imo.

4. Vivid

Vivid Member

How do you guys feel about BJ Mullens? A 7 footer that is projected to go early 20's. His college numbers aren't great but he looks like he could be a solid offensive big man off the bench to spell Yao some minutes.

-V

5. ghost

ghost Member

Andy Katz has in his latest blog post the metion of SC Gamecock player Archie having worked out for the Rockets. I talked to Conor Atchley at a draft workout I saw yesterday and he said he has already worked out for the Rockets and also worked out in Toyota Center for a group of teams (Houston, Minnesota, and I believe Golden State). I can't remember for sure on the teams other than the Rockets in that group workout, however.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

As much as I would like Houston to have some picks, I really wish teams would quit selling them. It is overall bad for the league.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

agree the thunder selling their pick isnt too bad considering they have a lot of first round picks and probably would rather use their money to sign some vets instead of adding on young talent that may not get PT with the other guys they have.

The hornets should sell their pick at all they need all the extra talent they can get to add to their "bench"

the wolves shouldnt sell their pick but if its a late first round they have some players coming back form injury (jefferson, brewer) not sure how a first round pick will have an impact for the team.

the suns selling their picks in recent years in an example of why a team shouldnt do that.

hopefully Morey can buy his way into a first round pick

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chase is soft.

Some athletes do not translate, like Joe Alexander for instance...

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Well, let's be fair here. Alexander obviously wasn't NBA ready but you can't judge a player after only one year.

10. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

If the rockets buy a pick, they need to take the best talent available. Most likely it will be late first round, so if Patrick Mills is available, take him. To hell with Aaron Brooks(as much as like the guy).

Patrick Mills is the most underrated player in the draft. Easily should be top 5. When players from the dream team give you props. You got game.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, I agree.

Vertical does not impress me, which Joe Alexander has....

Some players have hops, but very little grace and skill that needs to pair with that vert to be a success in the NBA...

12. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

exactly what I am thinking, they have a thing for choosing white players lol

13. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Why is it bad for the league? The picks are still being used, the players will be in the league.

14. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Joe Alexander lacks the basketball I.Q to effectively utilize his athletic tools as of right now. He also lacks a true position, unless he can work on his defense on the perimeter some and start playing more in the perimeter, which he can offensively, as far as simple spot up shooting goes.

Budinger is a different player though. He's explosive like Joe, but more fluid and has legitimate skills for the guard position. He won't be bad on defense as most people on the internet might think. From the early reports he has been doing well on the agility drills (but then again Joe did too). Depending on the team, he can excel in a support role.

15. Egghead

Egghead Member

IMO, Budinger will be a more athletic verison of Hedo Turkoglue

16. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I see Budinger playing a Luke Walton role...

17. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

.....except he can shoot much more consistently and can run the floor.

Can you imagine if the Lakers had a guy like Chase? :eek:

18. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Well, obviously Budinger is much more athletic, but I think Walton makes up for it with his IQ, which I'm not sold Budinger is higher than average in. I also think that Budinger is going to slide over to the 3 instead of being a 2 guard in the L...but that's just me.

Walton is a career 33% shooter from 3, so Chase will probably be better than him, but I think he'll be a mid-high 30%er, not a 40+...I don't mind eating crow if I'm wrong, though, really.

19. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Reminds me of Kirk Snyder.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Chase is a linear athlete much like joe alexander. In the nba, you need lateral explosion with and without the ball to be really effective. There are hundred of guys who can run in a straight line and look athletic, but how many can head and shoulder fake, make a move in a crowd, and explode to the rim?