1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Draft Prospects Workout Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jet Blast, May 19, 2009.

1. ghost

ghost Member

Quite a few of these players played in Portsmouth. These are probably more 2nd round picks to UDFA's.

2. Egghead

Egghead Member

-A number of teams are already reportedly sending out feelers indicating that they would like to acquire a pick in the late first round—including the San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets and Toronto Raptors. A few teams that are rumored to be looking to trade or sell their picks are the Oklahoma City Thunder (#25), Minnesota Timberwolves (#28) and New Orleans Hornets (#21).

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#NBA-Draft-Roundup-May-20-3224

3. AB#0

AB#0 Member

I could see Morey making a deal to get a pick. I would like to see us get a SG-SF.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

There do seem to be a lot of Hornets rumors lately.

5. Xcellerator

Xcellerator Member

Nevill is like 7'1". Pretty decent offensive game and would bring size backing up Ming.
    Dionte Christmas is a good SG that's rising. Would love him as a backup behind McGrady, or possible even start.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Lester Hudson?

7. Egghead

Egghead Member

Chase Budinger, please

8. jopatmc

Has Chase really fallen into the 2nd round? And if so, why? I didn't get to watch much NCAA ball this year. But I thought he was a sure fire mid-first rounder a year ago. What is wrong with his game?

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

He's 6'7, 192 pounds, and weak.
    So a weak and skinny kid for starters - then add to that he's not especially athletic - ie, could play SF in the NBA, but too slow to play SG.
    Fairly average defensively and perhaps average offensively.

Hence the slide I guess?

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Actually - I was probably a bit harsh on Budinger there!!!

I'm basing my opinion of what I saw of him last year - I haven't seen him play at all this season.

I just looked at his profile, and his 218 pounds now - which is a significant addition of mass to his frame - I would guess in the muscle department.

He's a good 3 point shooter - but, I'm not sure there's anything else that sets him apart as an NBA level talent?

Sorry if that offends the Budinger brigade... :(

11. jopatmc

Dude, Chase Budinger is very athletic. He played volleyball in H.S. and has great hops. He is very fast and quick.

12. Egghead

Egghead Member

He is projected a late 1st rounder

13. Egghead

Egghead Member

you said he's not athletic...dudes a freak, tremendous athlete

Has excellent size and athleticism for the NBA 2-guard position ... Chase improved considerably in the past year, especially shooting from outside and should come into Arizona and be very productive right away ... Finishes well around the basket, with good touch and body control ... Has range beyond the college 3-point line and a great stroke on his jump shot ... Gets good elevation and has a high release point on his jump shot Has a fieriness to him. Competitive. Has proven capable of taking over games in crunch time Quick off his feet and a good offensive rebounder Aggressively attacks the basket and finishes well in traffic using his explosiveness ... Very adept at tipping the ball in around the basket. Excellent hands from playing volleyball ..

Emerged as one of the top overall players in his class between his junior and senior high school seasons ... Budinger possesses a 40 plus inch vertical and is a top 5 volleyball player in the nation, competing for the USA junior national team. Has won numerous dunk contests and placed second at the McDonald's All American game While scrimmaging against Arizona players prior to his senior season, Budinger was the best player on the floor. Won MVP of the Douai Tournament in France edging out teammate Thaddeus Young for the honor.
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/chase-budinger

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Ok - well, my year old impressions were bogus then!!!!

I apologize :)

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think so much. Budinger's athleticism sounds better on paper than it actually is, primarily because he doesn't have a ton of lateral quickness and doesn't change directions well. He's also hampered by marginal ball handling ability. For a 6-7 guy with athleticism, you'd expect it to come out a bit more in his numbers -- blocks, steals, rebounds -- something. He's pretty marginal in all categories.

Basically, he's a guy who gives you a little bit of everything, but not great at anything. He does have a pretty silky shot that could become deadly -- if that happens, he could be a Mike Miller type. More likely, he's a decent roleplayer. Solid, not spectacular.

16. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Are you serious? He's anything but unathletic. White kids can jump too you know. Dude has a 42 inch vertical. You call that unathletic?

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

chase is athletic

but the knock on him from what I can remember was that he didnt take advantage of his athleticism enough so he settled for a lot of shots instead of putting more pressure on the defense and using his quickness and leaping ability to get inside.

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

He's got the "soft" tag.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I would love to have Dionte Christmas. Guy is a steal IMO.

20. worzel gummidge

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/730733.html
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Roundup-May-15th-3214/