1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets draft class of the 90's

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jan 21, 2001.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Considering where the Rockets drafted most of the 90's and that they did not even have a 1st rounder in 94, 95 and 96 I think their drafting has been almost steller. Heres a reveiw of who they have drafted:

90 Dave Jamerson and Carle Herrera
    91 John Turner (who?)
    92 Robert Horry (What ever happened to Harrold Minor)
    93 Sam Cassell (secound best player in that draft)
    94 - 96 none
    97 Roderick Rhodes
    98 Micheal Dickerson, Bryce Drew, Mirsad Turcksan and Cuttino Mobley (if we would have drafted R. Lewis over Turcksan it would have been the greates draft of all time)
    99 Steve Francis and Kenny Thomas (ok Steve was actually drafted by VC but I will consider him since we aquired him before training camp)
    00 Jason Collier and Dan Langhi (the book is still out on these two but I think Collier will be an excellent sub and I think Langhi has the potential to be a hell of a starter)

The 90 and 91 drafts were a waste of time but that was at the begining of Rudy T's term. Since then only the Roderick Rhodes draft in 97 has not produced us a major contributor or a star and if you examine that draft who really came out after him that was worth keeping.

------------------

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

What about Serge Zwikker??

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I always liked Rodrick Rhodes... the dude had fast hands. I remember in one game where he picked Jordan's pocket a couple of times, and Jordan even mentioned him after in a post-game interview, complementing him on his defensive skills.

------------------
    "Of course, everything looks bad if you remember it!"
    Homer Simpson

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Yeah i've always like rhodes too.

If we ever need a good defensive two with some offensive skills, he would be the first guy i would think of.

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

5. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Rhodes is so good that he can't get a job with any team.

This in the same league where Corey Benjamin and Kornel David have jobs.

The guy just couldn't shoot and blew layups - I saw one game where he missed about three - some uncontested.

The crowd bood.

It was sad. [​IMG]

Also forgot Eric Riley, Eric Meeks, Zan Tabak (didn't we draft him, or did he just sign with us?)
    Randy Livingston
    Venson Hamilton, The other 4 from the same year...can't remember anyone else.

------------------
    EZLN

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Tabak Plays for Indy and is doing pretty well i think actually..... Riley last played for boston or something.

------------------
    "Kenny, The Basketball scientist, Whoo Hoo."
    Charley B, on TNT

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Can't believe people still think Rhodes was any good, he is perfect example of when trying to pick a second round gem goes horribly wrong.

------------------
    CUT Tino
    These Heaves are just getting Ridiculous!

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I believe in equal opportunity, so here we go :

1990 - I can't believe you put Dave Jamerson here as being a good pickup. Ok, Hererra was good while he lasted. How about the players we passed to acquire Jamerson? Loy Vaught, Terry Mills, Duane Causwell, Dee Brown, Jayson Williams, Elden Campbell.

1991 - John Turner (who?) is right. Hehe. People we missed : Eric Murdock (no biggie), Rick Fox, Pete Chilcutt (again, no big deal)

1992 - Robert Horry was good. I know what you mean about Harold Minor. But while we're on the topic of "what ever happened to...", whatever happened to these players that we didn't draft? Bryant Stith, Malik Sealy, Anthony Peeler, Doug Christie, Don MacLean (no biggie), Hubert Davis, Latrell Sprewell? Why, they're all playing in the NBA now, too. That was a fairly deep draft even if it's full of journeymen.

1993 - I got no beef. Where we picked Cassell was a steal.

1997 - Rhodes is part of a stellar draft? Eeek. Nothing escaped us, but this was a dud draft for us.

1998 - Dickerson, Drew, Turckan, and Mobley. Just say Mobley and Dickerson, and leave it at that. This is the best draft we've had probably since Hakeem even though we blew it with Rashard.

1999 - Steve wasn't drafted by us and it took trading half our team to get him. He wasn't a draft pick, so shouldn't be included here. Kenny Thomas... hmm... not bad.

I still don't see where our drafts have been "stellar" in the 90's. I see 2 standouts in Cassell and Mobley. Outside of that, nothing even remotely stellar.

------------------
    "No Brain Grant, no trade." -- Typos are a b**** as ZRB is holding Rocket trades hostage while he seeks a brain. Conspiracy theorists say this would explain why Hakeem has yet to be traded...

9. crash5179

To Dr. or Dunk,

You don't like Dave Jamerson and John Turner? come on they both have all star potential [​IMG] Seriously remember I pointed out that 90 and 91 was basically a waste of time and Rudy T had just taken over the reigns.

As far as the Horry draft, no one you mentioned is any better than him. IMO.

Other than Webber who else in the 93 draft was as good as Cassell?

Micheal Dickerson and Cat are both very good starting 2 gards. Both will probably get all star consideration before their careers are over. Also consider that MD was the key ingrediant in aquiring Steve Francis. So in a since he was in some part a product of this draft. And like I said if we would have been smart enough to get Rashard then we would had the youngest and most sold 1, 2 and 3 combo in the league.

I know Steve was not drafted by the Rockets, but it is no different than the trades that bought Collier (drafted by the Bucks) and Langhi (drafted by the Mavs) to us. It was not a draft day trade but it was compleated before training camp so I am counting him just like I am counting Collier and Langhi.

In any event find me anouther team outside the lakers that has done as much with the draft as the Rockets. Remember we drafted almost last with most of those picks.

Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, Micheal Dickerson, Cuttino Mobley, Steve Frances and Kenny Thomas. There are a lot of teams that would love to get that kind of talent out of 7 drafts ( remember no number 1s in 94-95) The only player missing IMHO is Rashard Lewis.

One last point. Remember I live in Dallas where the people here are used to getting players like:
    Douge Smith, Randy White, Leon Smith, Samaki Walker.
    Yeah sure the Mavs got Jason Kidd, Jim Jackson and Jamal Mashburn but they mixed like oil and water and are all gone with nothing to show for it. The only pick the Mavs can celebrate for the intire decade as being a success is Dirk Nowitzki. And the Mavs selected in the lottery every year! The Mavs would love to have drafted our talent I promis you that.

And lets not even bring up the Clippers.

------------------

10. 34dream

34dream Member

Don't forget about Othella Harrington, 30th pick in 1996. That was a good pick.

------------------

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

crash, I completely agree that the Rockets have had excellent drafts, for the most part, in the 1990s. Obviously my boy Sammy was a major coup, as were Cuttino, Othella, and Dickerson. If we don't pick those last 2 up midway through the first round (MD) and in the 2nd round (OH) we never get a chance to trade for Stevie. Robert Horry has never been a great player but he was absolutely instrumental in the championship years. For that matter, Herrera was an excellent sub for both Thorp and Olajuwon back in the day.

A correction, though: you can't attribute Jamerson, Herrera, or Turner to Tomjanovich and co. Those picks were made while Patterson was GM and Don Chaney was coach (in fact Don was coach of the year in 90-91). Rudy T didn't take over until halfway through 91-92, and Les bought the team the following offseason. Since then only Phoenix (maybe) has drafted better than the Rockets.

------------------
    "Thirty-seven?" -Randall, Clerks
    www.clutchtown.com

12. crash5179

Thinks for the correction. I knew Rudy T took over early in the decade just didn't remember when exactly. That makes Rudy T's draft record just that much more impresive.

Off the top of my head only the Lakers come close with the talent they have selected: Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones and Kobe Bryant. I still think they were nuts for sending him to Denver.

------------------

[This message has been edited by crash5179 (edited January 22, 2001).]

13. edc

edc Contributing Member

The jury is still out on this one. We've got a late first-round pick coming on Turkcan, and a conditional late first-round pick (which will most likely become two second-rounders) for Drew. Rudy's real GM talent is twofold: "Diamonds in the rough" in the draft (mid-first to mid-second round picks), and CBA role-players that may or may not last more than a season or two.

------------------

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Mobley, Horry, Cassell were our best picks in recent draft. Im not counting Dickerson because he only stayed 1 year. O. Harrington was a good one too. But besides them our draft picks sucked.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey, I was not saying that Rhodes was good. But he had some aspects to his game that I really enjoyed watching. Anytime a player can get 1-2 steals a game playing one on one defense, I get excited watching him. And yes, I do remember all the blown layups from Rhodes, but I think part of that was because the guy was almost faster than he could deal with. He drove to the basket so hard that when he tried to lay the ball off the glass, it bounced off harder than he meant for it.

When the NBA creates this minor league they have been talking about, if Rhodes gets a position on one of the teams, I look for him to return to the NBA in 3-4 years, much improved.

------------------
    "Of course, everything looks bad if you remember it!"
    Homer Simpson

16. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Emanuel Davis in 1996

------------------
    Dream
    Rejects
    Every
    Attempt
    Made

17. DJ

DJ Member

The Rockets drafted Othella Harrington in 1996 in the second round. He turned out to be a solid starter in the NBA.

------------------

18. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Emanuel Davis was not a draft pick... he was a free agent signing....

But y'all DID forget TERRELL BELL...

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -