1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

rockets doomed to be AVERAGE.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr.Scarface, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

meant to say Morey is not going to Oakland's extremes..... :(

2. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

I sadly agree. Rick Aldeman chases away superstars. Thats why all his teams consist of role players. Which in this league will not take you far. Yao is not going to fit in to this system when he comes back. I wouldn't be surprised if Yao leaves.

And the sad thing is Rick might not even be coaching here in a few years. So we lose Tracy and Yao. And were left with Ariza taking those superstar shots.

Maybe I'm thinking to much?? :confused:

3. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I can't decide if this guy knows less about basketball or baseball. It may be a tie. The Oakland A's ownership are cheap bastards. Beane has been great squeezing as much success as he has out of that club given the amount of funds to work with. Lucky for us, Les Alexander isn't a cheapskate.

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

please kys

5. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

did the op just compare baseball to basketball?? :confused: :confused:

6. sabesque

sabesque Member

I hate bringing up money, but let's please not forget that McGrady is an employee of the Rockets. His bosses are Adelman, then Morey, then Alexander who can use them however they choose.

7. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

True.

8. pumbum

pumbum Member

I agree with this ... and it doesn't matter if they lose in the first round or the finals.... they won't win the championship.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

with a no heart low IQ Point Guard?

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I bet Morey is willing to trade any rocket player for that PG. ;)

11. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

No, you're not thinking enough. Adelman chases away superstars. Really? Clyde Drexler? Chris Webber?
    Oakland's owner is cheap. Morey doesn't have a problem with expensive players. He's said that the Rockets are willing to take a longterm contract from another team in exchange for McGrady's expiring.

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You obviously don't understand what Moneyball/Sabermetrics is about. Billy Beane's version of Moneyball was constrained by the teams finances. The fact that Oakland never won a title under Beane is due to the fact that they were getting outspent on payroll by an order of magnitude. Without Beane the A's would have been cellar dwellers like the Pirates. Moneyball got them a long way but you are correct it didn't get them over the top. There was no way that anything was going to win a championship with a payroll that low.

There are, however, other so-called Moneyball GMs that spend plenty of money. Theo Epstein is one that comes to mind. Are you going to tell me the the Red Sox didn't spend money and they didn't have success? I seem to remember something about them winning a World Series or two.

Ever hear of Sam Presti? He's the moneyball asstant GM that talked the Spurs in to drafting a French kid named Tony Parker. Did that lead to any titles? Presti went on to become GM of the Sonics/Thunder and has assembled one of the best collections of young talent in the NBA.

What bad contract has Morey taken on? Are you really complaining about a deal that hasn't happened yet and you have zero idea of who will be involved? Do you even know for sure that there will be a trade?

#32 aelliott, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  13. Crudder

Crudder Member

Please don't call someone a moron and not even use correct grammar, especially when you have it all in quotes and capitalized. As they said on Friends, "your=your, you're=you are!" Normally, this doesn't bother me, but you are calling the person a moron after all...

Anyways, back to the OP...I tend to agree somewhat but not fully...the problem isn't so much DM but where the Rockets are...DM has done an amazing job of getting together good players...the rockets have a great cast of supporting characters with many (such as Landry) with all-star potential.

However, the problem with this team is that they are good, but they aren't contenders good...but it doesn't mean they aren't fun to watch. Personally, I just don't think they'll be contending for a championship anytime soon (which obviously is the goal of a bball organization). Either way you look at it though, DM has done a phenomenal job.

14. gotsis

gotsis Member

morey has done a fantastic job, but the main idea in this thread actually has a valid point, as what morey does with the t-mac situation could define this team for at least 2011 when yaos contract ends, the thing is, can morey pull off a good trade so when yao comes back he will push us over the hump of overachievers to real contenders, or will next year be the same story, too good to rebuild by high draft picks, yet not a real nba ring contender.

but yeah saying morey sucks is just idiotic...

15. albuster

albuster Member

From the way the premise of the thread was formulated one could infer that the OP meant that now that McGrady is just about gone so have the Rockets' chance for a championship.

One is left to wonder where do all these McGrady groupies come from. McGrady has been in the league for more than 11 years yet his teams have never gone past the first round, and these groupies are talking championship/s with McGrady. They also conveniently ignored the recent playoffs wherein the McGrady less Rockets advanced to the 7th game of the second round without their hero. This is as mind boggling as America voting to elect Bush twice for president.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/02/27/weekly.countdown/index.html

"I haven't been the guy who's been fortunate enough to play with Shaq, to play with Tim Duncan. I always seem to have average teams,'' he said.

17. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

This whole Oakland comparison has come up so many times, and each time it is dead wrong. Morey has a team with two max players on it. That means on a roster of 15 players, the Rox have two that were being paid as much as allowed under NBA rules. That is not moneyball strategy.

The Rox have paid millions of dollars in the last few drafts to buy picks from other teams. Literally tens of millions of dollars for players some who make the roster and some who dont. That is not moneyball strategy.

Morey is reportedly willing to take on a long term deal in a Mcgrady trade if it is for the right player. Again that is not moneyball strategy.

The only thing Morey has in common with Oakland is he uses stats. Thats it. Not the same financial constraints nor the same buy low sell high strategy. All the players he has acquired surprisingly are still on the team and doing well (Brooks, Landry, Lowry, Scola). Its not like he drafted a young guy, developed him into a star and then traded him off four younger talent. Thats the A's and moneyball, not Morey.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Look how well teams like the Clippers have done with always picking in the lottery. I'll take Morey and his second round picks every time.

19. Dei

Dei Member

The Rockets aren't winning a championship if they do get into the play-offs nor are they getting a high pick if they don't. WTH's the plan?

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

So, you think, second round picks > no.1 pick :eek: :eek: :eek:

Why don't you look how well teams like the cavs and magic have done with picking no.1 pick?

btw, Griffin is injured, otherwise, they will have a good chance to make the playoffs.