1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets: Do they persue Tim Duncan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TroyBaros, Jul 9, 2002.

1. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

With a new stadium around the corner and new Uni's among the horizons what would it take for Houston to persue Tim Duncan..

A friend of mine ask me this at dinner the other night who lives in San Antonio....It is no big secret Duncan is thrilled to be a free agent coming up....

The thought of that Nba title with a halfseason still lingers over him and bothers him to this day....

What do you think the Rockets could offer Duncan?

Would this not be a dream team then?......

2. verse

verse Contributing Member

trade steve and griff for him.

on 2nd thought, i'd just trade steve for him. the spurs would gladly take it, and with a 2-5 of

cat
    griff
    duncan
    ming

it wouldn't matter if stevie wonder was playing point.

#2 verse, Jul 9, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2002
  3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Yeah...just as soon as you PERSUE a dictionary

4. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Well, we probably could only do a sign and trade and since everyone is going to have a no trade clause in Steve's contract I guess we can't do that either. :D

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

6. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

hahahaha b-ball that was great :D

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I would have to believe that the Rockets would not chase Duncan unless they get signs from him that he would want to be here. And beside the point. We are now pretty stocked up in the front court. Acquiring him next year would only upset any chemistry we develop this year.

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

We don't need no stinking Duncan.
    :D

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i love duncan but i'm more than happy to go into the next decade with what we already have. why is there always a need to gut the team, i think our pieces are set.

10. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Obviously we won't have cap space, but if our young players actually start fulfilling their potential, we might very well might be able to offer pieces in a sign-and-trade that the Spurs might actually consider. Of course, Duncan would have to make it clear to the Spurs that he would in fact like to play for Houston and would as a second choice, be content to sign with a different team with cap space. That's a slim possibility, and the Spurs actually going for a deal like that an even slimmer possibility, but the idea of getting Duncan this way doesn't sound as crazy as it used to. Now that we actually have a legitimate center, Duncan might consider playing for a Rockets team with both Stevie and Yao. I could see a deal out of a combination of Griffin, Mo Taylor, Nachbar, and Cato/Glen Rice. They'd probably want Cuttino, but I don't know if I would include him.

But it's not much of a possibility at this point. I wouldn't get carried away. And I agree with Francis3422 that I'd rather let this team grow than break it up for Duncan unless Duncan seriously indicated to the Rockets that he'd be interested in playing for Houston.

#10 Relativist, Jul 9, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2002
  11. Sane

Sane Member

I'd send them Griff in a heartbeat. What we add to that is what makes the difference.

Griff doesn't make much, so to get salaries up, thow in Rice. He'll be in his final year, and maybe retired. That's 10M already.

You know, I'd even have to consider a Ming, Griffin and Rice for Duncan and their draft pick(Duncan-less season).

They get more than enough compensation, and we get DUNCAN. Imagine how INCREDIBLE our Guards will be when the defense is collapsing all over Duncan. He can kick it out for an easy, or we can cut them up with the Guards. Beautiful.

12. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

The only way we get Duncan is if (i) Ming clearly demonstrates he can compete on the NBA level and is a budding star, (ii) MoTay proves he is back from injury, and (iii) we trade both of them, along with Cuttino Mobley. Even then, I don't know if it would work.

If so, it would be a close call, depending on how good Ming looks. Francis and Duncan would present a better 1-2 punch than Bibby and Webber. If Nachbar is for real, we'd be set at SF. Duncan, Griffin, Cato will occupy the PF and C spots. If KT were still around, he could swing between SF and PF. We would need a shooting guard in the worst way.

Under this scenario, SA would be hard pressed to get a better deal for Duncan.

13. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

I just checked realgm and this works under the CBA.

San Antonio sends Timmy D, Jason Hart, and Antonio Daniels to Houston

Houston sends Glen Rice, Moochie Norris, Kenny Thomas, and Yao Ming

I think that this deal would be agreable as long as Ming is in fact not a chode.

Francis/Maddux/Hart
    Cat/Daniels
    Nachbar/Morris
    Griffin/Taylor
    Duncan/Cato

Ofcourse this is all contingent upon Duncan really wanting to play with the Franchise, Cat, and EG. Damn!!!!!! This team would demolish the Lakers/Kings/Mavs.

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

We would have to send them Griffin, because there would be some commuication problems with a front line of Griff and Duncan.
    Telepathy anyone?

15. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Amazing...........we don't even know what Ming is and you guys are already trading him. That goes for Griffin as well. By the end of this season, these guys may be untouchable. Well, whatever. Have your fun.

16. mfclark

mfclark Member

So now TB has inside access to Spurs players too? Wow!

Truthfully...if Duncan leaves, it's more than likely for a team with capspace. Any other team is going to have to give up too much to get him.

I'm waiting for The Cat to come tell us that Duncan's not leaving.....but I wouldn't be shocked if he does.

If he leaves - it's probably for Orlando...*maybe* Miami.

I'd say he stays as of right now, though. A lot depends on what the Spurs do and re-signing their role players to huge contracts (e.g. Malik Rose 6yr/$42m) isn't exactly the way to do it. It ensures continuity, but leaves little breathing room for a max player next year.

17. aLfaBoLoUs1

aLfaBoLoUs1 Member

I think they should pursue him!!!
    As long as the rox dont give up steve, eddie, or ming, i'm all for it!
    u got to give it a shot when looking at a player like Duncan, best PF in the game easily! it doesnt matter what they do this year, adding a duncan will make the rox a lock-in for contending for the title!

18. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

fabolous-Come on guy, you know that you have to give something up to get something! I still believe that Griffin and Francis are the (future) foundations of this team. Ming is in some circles a hot commodity and who believes that Rudy would have nixed a Tim for #1 deal? Granted, all of this is pure pipe dream speculation, but if I were Steve I would talk A LOT to Timmy D this season and at the break. If Duncan threatened to go to Orlando for nothing (and there is nothing that rlando could send to SA in an s and t) then I would think that we have the pieces to get the deal done (Ming, MoT, Mooch, Rice, KT)

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Rileydog keep your hands of Yao Ming.!!!

20. mfclark

mfclark Member

Orlando has nothing to offer SA in a sign and trade?

Cap room + Mike Miller is enough to get the deal done. Add in one of the Magic's center prospects (Rashard Griffith or Steven Hunter) and that's a fair package, considering Toronto got nothing that they kept in the McGrady sign and trade.

And if Duncan threatens to go to Orlando for nothing, he'll go to Orlando for nothing or get a S & T out of SA to Orlando.

I'd imagine the Rockets would want to build for the future rather than trade their top talents, even for someone like Duncan. With Griffin & Ming (plus the glut of PF & C talent), the Rockets may not appeal to Duncan.