1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Delay Hakeem's Party

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Oct 24, 2002.

1. timm

timm Member

NY,

I think there are two separate issues here.

One is Yao is the first born and trained first pick of the draft. That plus the fact that he has been seen in many parts of the world as part of his National competitions menas that people know that he can play (but recognize that he will take some time to transition to NBA).

Second, I would have been all for Hakeem's retirement on Nov 2 if he was still a ROCKET. The mess he created by wanting to get Admiral kind of deal from Rox when he was clearly way beyond contribution curve, and his comments about Rody and Rox to Toronto media also added to that.

Ironically, I became a Rox fan becasue of Hakeem during the 1994 championship season! I can't imagine myself saying what I just said.

2. dream_team

dream_team Member

this better happen on the 9th... i just bought my tickets and i fly out there from california...

please dream! don't change the date!

3. catoinstitute

catoinstitute Member

How about when we play the warriors, that yinka dare and adonal foyle, pass the torch to yao ming.

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Go back to the hole that you climbed out from. It's funny that a Cato fan is dissing Yao, by comparing him to dare and foyle.

5. xcharged

xcharged Member

Damn I bought tickets for Nov 2nd for the retirment...Just another way to try to boost ticket sales!!!
    Maybe they'll bring back the Red & Yellow for Dream's retirement.

6. tshi6575

tshi6575 Member

I think the Rockets have made a right decision here. Yao's Regular season debut at home & Hakeem's retirement are two separate events here. I agree with what some other posters said that it would be nice to see Hakeem pass on the torch to Yao, but Hakeem is no longer a member of the Rockets so theoretically it won't work. Besides, both events would have significant meanings to the Rockets history & I think the Rockets organization definitely would have consider this from ticket sales perspective. i.e. Fans come to see Hakeem's retirement may not necessarily a die-hard Yao's fan.

7. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

***Newsflash***

Hakeem lives in Houston. I doubt Hakeem is even going to any of the other Toronto games.

Read my post again. It merely stated facts. Who cares what went on behind the scenes. Hakeem chose to air his dirty laundry and Rudy and the Rockets did not. As a matter of fact, Rudy was visibly hurt when confronted with Hakeem's remarks. Hakeem is a basketball god and all of Houston is grateful for the championships. It is just a shame he chose to leave town in the manner that he did.

8. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Yao will probably not even be starting, so he might not even be introduced in the lineup at the game. Dream deserves this time.

9. Gascon

Gascon Member

I don't see anything wrong with having it on the second. It just makes too good a story. The Rockets should have had some balls and let Hakeem pass the torch to Yao. Fate put the Dream in Houston on the same day as Yao's home opener...what could be more perfect?

10. cson

cson Contributing Member

GLORY?!?!! GLORY?!?!?! YES GLORY!
    Everybody keep your pants on! Nobody is doubting Dream AND in case you didn't notice Ming is just a rookie, but still a bit of a big deal.

Bottom Line- The Org was right.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some people are capable of looking at the good and bad of a player, taking them both in and make a judgement about what a player has meant to a team.

Others become blinded by isolated incidents and their own limitations and lack of understanding human beings prevent them from making sound judgements.

Dream, has agreed to the Nov. 9th ceremony. Things are looking rosy!

12. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I agree with the move. Having both Hakeem's farewell and Yao's introduction wouldn't do Hakeem justice. He would have to share the spotlight with Yao. Doing it this way respects Hakeem alot more. He derserves his own night, not a co-night with Yao.

It isn't about passing the torch, it is about honoring Hakeem's contribution to the organization and yes, that deserves a night all by itself.

Plus it doesn't hurt that it will sell tickets to that dog of a game with the Warriors.

13. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I totally agree with Gascon here. I would have preferred he be "returned" to Houston before the game. The fact that it's his successor's first game makes it even more appropriate.

Way back when, for you soccer folks, when Pele retired from New York, he was returned to the Brazilian team on his last game. It was a pretty cool ceremony.

When he goes to the HOF he will be wearing a Houston jersey. He's a Rocket and he's the reason Jazz fans and others have nothing on Houston despite their umpteen consecutive playoff appearances.

Don't diss the man because they had a tiff at the end of his career. Forgive and forget. Welcome him home.

I guess it's a done deal. And I guess the marketing people like it because you get two 'special' promotions. I just hate it when promotion and marketing win out over traditions and the 'game.'

Either way. Go honour the man. .

Even if Yao one day surpasses Dream's accomplishments, he will not replace Dream's legacy. He still has to earn the Respect that Dream is owed.

Guess I don't like Dream's night to be rescheduled for Yao's. Just as in 15 years I wouldn't want Yao's night to be deferred for the next phenom. No matter how good he turns out to be.

Anyhow. November 9th is better than nothing. If they retire his jersey that night, it would be even better.

14. Allstarmobley

Allstarmobley Member

I totally agree with you on this. Great take. This should affect his legacy.

15. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Is there no Dream love left in Houston? Dream supporters, where are you? ZRB? Dreamshake? Help me here.

A proud, ultra-competitive man made some harsh comments during a contract dispute. He has so much pride that he refuses to beleive he's getting old.

Two championships and a decade plus of service and you can't let that slide?

Welcome the man home. His legacy is intact.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Hakeem is basically living in Houston right now, so the Houston-Toronto matchup is kind of moot. However, I personally would've loved to see Dream pass the torch to Yao on the 2nd. Rox managment screwed this up.

17. Allstarmobley

Allstarmobley Member

This thinking is miopic. What have you done for me lately? We begged Hakeem to stay and he dissed us. He did not want us in the end, why would we want him? What about the other 15 years he did not bring us a championship and was always fighting with his teammates? Hakeem had two good years that ended in championships. He is not untouchable.

18. codell

codell Contributing Member

You have ALOT of animosity towards Hakeem. The guy wanted one last chance at a ring. Can you blame him?

2 rings in 15 years is not bad by todays standards. Go talk to Malone, Barkley and Stockton. They would love to have at least 1.

19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

So Hakeem has "only" brought us two championships? How many has Yao brought? (so far)

Respect is all I'm saying. I didn't like the contract battle any more than you, but in the end I can look past a few months of bickering and give the man his due.

If you want to trash Pippen, or any other 'star' who did not deliver for Houston, please feel free, but Dream bashing is not appropriate. How soon we forget.

And this is nothing against Yao. I think he'll be everything we hope for and more.

PS

I'm assuming you're serious with your posting and are really a Rocket Fan (though a misguided one) and not just trolling.

Why can't you just bury the hatchet, and acknowledge the man's contribution?

Cheers.

20. Tim

Tim Member

Okay, everybody can have their opinion.

We do plan on retiring Hakeem's jersey on 11/9. That's a pretty quick turnaround, and teams often take years to retire a players' jersey. There's a tremendous amount of respect for Hakeem here.

And, yes, we feel great that it's going to be on a night where we can focus everything on Hakeem. 11/2 is opening night, and besides Yao's debut, there's a lot of other general opening night hoopla.

In addition ... it is going to be helpful to have the time to prepare -- it's not like we've had all of the off-season to get ready for this. (For example, you don't exactly just go to Kinko's and order up a giant jersey banner overnight.) We also knew Hakeem would want certain key people in attendance, and the additional lead time is going to make it easier to get them in.

So come on out. It'll be a great night for Houston's greatest sports hero.

Tim