1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Delay Hakeem's Party

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Oct 24, 2002.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

ESPN.COM
    By. Marc Stein

Nothing has changed in Toronto. Don't expect Hakeem Olajuwon to play another NBA game.

Plans are a little more fluid in Houston. Don't expect Dream to be feted with a sendoff at Compaq Center on Nov. 2.

Hakeem Olajuwon may get to thank Rockets fans on Nov. 9 now.
    The Houston Rockets are definitely eager to throw a Dream Appreciation Night sometime next month, or whenever Dream decides to officially end his career. The Rockets simply prefer not to throw it on the same night Yao Ming plays his first home game in Rockets pinstripes.

It was reportedly Dream's idea to fade away for good on Nov. 2, because that's when his Toronto Raptors make their only Houston visit of the season. The Rockets, though, don't want to detract from Yao's moment -- and they also want to do a Dream ceremony justice. So they're said to be talking with Olajuwon's people to pick another day for a retirement announcement; the Nov. 9 home game against Golden State is being strongly considered

2. Allstarmobley

Allstarmobley Member

I for one am glad to see this. This will be Yao's night. Hakeem does not deserve to steal any of his glory.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yao's glory??? what glory? he is a freaking rookie! hakeem is one of the best centers ever.

4. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Member

What the F???. Dude has played one exhibition game versus a man who brought us two championships and played more than 15 years. Glory?? give me a break.

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Has Yao trashed the organization? No... Has Olajuwon? YES

There you go.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm not happy about this. I don't see how another date would be more fitting. Pass the torch. The only Toronto visit. Come On!

And I don't want to read this crap about how Dream pissed on the Rockets and deserves to be dishonored. If that were the case, do why would there be a ceremony at all?

Dream will be honored.

I just disagree with the scheduling decision by the Rockets organization.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

How has Hakeem "trashed" the Rockets? Just cause he wanted one last chance to get a ring?

8. Shotcaller

Shotcaller Member

I agree with the Rockets 100%

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a sort of pass the torch type ceremony, but this is Hakeem's fault with staying around too long. Out with the old in with the new.

10. drapg

drapg Member

damn it. i bought tickets for this game just for Olajuwon's sendoff. i'm pissed! :mad:

11. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

I agree with what the article quoted the Rockets.

IMO, it is Yao who does not deserve to steal any of Dream's glory.

12. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

The point is they would do justice to neither player by having a debut and honoring a retirement on the same evening. They cannot postpone the debut, can they? No. Who gives a rat's ass if it is when Toronto is here or not. Dream is hardly even speaking with that organization.

Now, if you don't remember Dream verbally thrashing the Rockets and Rudy T then you have a very short memory. He was very outspoken about how he was misused and mistreated before he left. Neither could have been further from the truth. I think the Rockets are definitely vindicated by Dream's last season and now his injury induced retirement.

They are not choosing Yao over Dream. They are choosing to make 2 nights of it instead of one. Maybe it is even a ploy to sell tickets to the Golden State game. Now everyone quit cryin' about it already

13. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

On one hand, the home debute of Ming should be kept special. On the other, it would be cool if Dream would actually doing a "hand the touch over" thing. But face it, Dream wouldn't do that because that would not give justice to his career.

The Rockets are doing the right thing. Dream needs a special date for his retirement.

Ming and Stevie is the team now. They and Griffin and Mobley will carry the team to the promiseland.

Dream went for the extra $$$ and the "chance for the ring". The gamble was lost by Raptors and Dream. Meanwhile, the Rockets got Nachbar. I'd say we made out like bandits on this one.

14. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

What goes around, comes around!!

15. shuttle

shuttle Member

Why, again, do I hear all of this bitterness toward Hakeem? The man hand delivered two championships!!! Hello, Mcfly????
    No one here knows ever detail of what went down when Hakeem left. Don't be so judgmental, you wouldn't want anyone to be judgmental toward you. Be appreciative of what the man gave us.

I doubt that you'll find a player in the league that would want to retire on a night that Golden State is playing:(

16. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

No one says the Dream did not trash talk the Rockets organization. But at the same time, what he said was not completely bull. At least no one knows what the fact really was. So let it go! I'm not saying Hakeem is saint, but then he is not entirely wrong.

And all these really don't matter. He brought Houston the first real championship and then the second one. He needs to be honered. And if there is anyone who needs to step aside, it would be Yao, not Hakeem. Not that I am saying Yao's debut should be postponed, though. He is our future, but as far as honoring someone, it would be Hakeem. No question.

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

This looks to confirm the report:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news/ap/20021025/ap-olajuwon-retirement.html

Agent: Olajuwon to retire Nov. 9 in Houston

October 25, 2002

HOUSTON (AP) -- Hakeem Olajuwon will announce his retirement Nov. 9 in Houston, where he started his stellar 18-year career in the NBA, his agent told a TV station Thursday night.

The Rockets said they knew only that Olajuwon would attend a ceremony honoring him that night in Houston before a game against Golden State. The Toronto Raptors, with whom Olajuwon played last season, are at Indiana on Nov. 9.

The 39-year-old center played 17 years with the Houston Rockets, leading them to NBA championships in 1994 and 1995. In college, he led Houston to the NCAA title game in 1983 and 1984.

The Raptors excused him from training camp because of serious back problems. Toronto general manager Glen Grunwald said earlier in the month he doesn't expect Olajuwon to play this season or in the future.

``We've determined he's just not going to be able to play anymore,'' agent Dan Fegan told KRIV-TV in Houston. ``So it's not finalized, but he's going to make that retirement announcement official Nov. 9.''

A call by The Associated Press to Fegan's office was not answered.

Fegan told the TV station that Olajuwon is grateful the Rockets are accommodating his wishes to retire in Houston.

``I think it's fantastic. It's a great win for Hakeem and the Rockets,'' Fegan said. ``There's a great love on Hakeem's part and the Rockets' part. This is the right way to finish his career.''

The Nigerian-born 7-footer was the first pick in the 1984 draft, and he became one of the league's dominant big men. He's the Rockets' career leader in points (26,511), rebounds (13,382) and steals (2,088), and he's the NBA's career leader in blocks (3,830).

Olajuwon played in 12 All-Star games, was named MVP in 1994 and was named one of the league's 50 greatest players in 1996. That year he also won a gold medal with the U.S. Olympic team.

He went to the Raptors in August 2001 after turning down a three-year, $13 million offer from the Rockets. He signed a three-year, $18 million contract with Toronto. In his only season with the Raptors, he played in 61 games and averaged career lows in points (7.1) and rebounds (6.0).

18. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

THAT would be playing his ENTIRE career here and then retire.

19. Timing

Timing Member

Will they be retiring his jersey on the 9th or just having a retirement announcement ceremony? I'd like to be at the jersey retirement but not so much an annoucement ceremony.

20. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Hakeem should retire on the 2nd, when the Raptors come to Houston. It's ridiculous to make him fly out for a separate ceremony.

Yao is just a rookie - who doesn't derserve a special night. Did any NBA player get a special night their first game of their career?

No.

Just let the man go out the way he wants to go out.