1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Declining Parsons Contract?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Definitely not, but there's even more of a chance he gets that next year.

If the Rockets don't plan on matching, why do this? Why not let him go next year?

960k doesn't seem like it would impact any free agent chases we might be in

2. cdain3

cdain3 Member

3. vator

vator Contributing Member

I think exploring a sign and trade could also be a possibility. I certainly don't want to lose him for nothing. He is a very good player. No point overpaying him though if you have 3 max contract guys on the team. It would probably be wiser to disperse that kind of money more evenly for better depth.

4. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I don't think he's worth near that, I'd be hesitant to give him 8 mil per.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

To me, this tends to show that the Rockets are pretty confident that they will land at least one of their top "third star" targets this summer, or at least at the February trade deadline, and won't be needing 2015 cap room.

Morey has no doubt gauged the interest of various players and trade partners. I wonder if he has already heard back from and lined up a "safety school" for the Rockets this summer.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Interesting thing is Parsons pretty much will still get the opportunity to choose where he goes. Rockets will need his consent to extend and trade him to either Minnesota/New York in a trade for Love or Carmelo. He also will know from the Rockets where the baseline will be on matching a contract from say Charlotte for example (whether it be $9MM or $11MM).

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

As long as you sign up Melo or whoever who really cares (except maybe Les:p) how much of an overpay you have to do to keep Parsons?

The window is NOW. This is why I'm all about Melo he fits right into this 3 years or so timeframe. Harden, Howard, Melo, Parsons, Bev and you round out the roster with the MLE, couple of vet min guys, Daniels, Cannan, and another second rounder.

I full expect Morey to trade # 25 for nothing. Send it to Hinkie the Sixers don't have enough pics.;)

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

We won't have the cap room to sign a max guy with Chandler's new cap hold.

9. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

this, I think Morey trust he will get Carmelo/lebron/Dirk/Bosh

Thank you Mr. Alexander for let Morey go over the luxury tax ( a lot of millions)

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

I hope this doesn't bite us in the ass- I'd hate to see Parsons get offered the max from Milwaukee or Sacramento or something stupid like that.

Hopefully this means we'll be bringing in a big name (and doing this so we can go over the cap to keep Parsons).

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So confuse on what this means. But it sounds exciting.

12. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

my initial concern but miami's big 3 has done just fine with not much of a bench. just need that one dude that can come in and knock down 3s ala Miller/Allen

13. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

This has potential to screw us for next season I hope it works out. What if we lose Parsons and don't get a third star.

14. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

and even if we had a bench not sure how much McHale would play it after April lol

15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I just don't see how we can keep Parsons and get a max guy now. It looks like it's gonna be one or the other.

1 person likes this.
  16. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

i think that's impossible. they wouldn't decline to match if that even seemed like a possibility

17. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

This is the only way I see Parsons' option declined.
    There is a failsafe plan already in place!

18. Convictedstupid

I meant placing our faith in him having a bigger role on our team. Or at least getting paid like that role would. Parsons at 12-13 mill isn't great value imo.

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I 100% disagree. Overpaying is perfect now because you're capped out. The three max guys capped you out so it's not like if Parsons left you'd have $12 million for someone else.

If you can sign Melo you match anything Parsons gets. You only have this one opportunity to get a player of his caliber to go along with your big 3. Morey would be a fool not to match even a crazy offer. Yeah we could end up like the Lakers or Nets with $100 million dollar payroll but your contenders during that whole time. And instead of a bunch of geriatrics like Kobe and Pierce and Garnett you have a bunch of stars in their primes.

Get the third star and match anything.

20. LandryMegaBeast

if we lose parsons and don't get a 3rd star we still will be able to chase a 3rd star in 2015