1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Declining Parsons Contract?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 3, 2014.

1. basketballholic

Doesn't anybody see through this "rumor"?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So you don't trust Woj?

This isn't Chris Broussard.

3. basketballholic

Sure I trust Woj. This is a rumor.

1. Who put it out there for Woj?

2. Why did they put it out now?

See through what is going on here.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You might as well prepare to be wrong. Parsons is more than likely 2nd on Morey's list of offseason priorities. He wants that 3rd star and if he can keep Parsons it's nice but he's not the vital cog you think he is.

5. jacoby

jacoby Member

And who do you think is going on? Do you have any information that's substantial enough for us to believe you over a guy like Woj?

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Again.

In any case, why the big surprise?

Did everyone really think we were gonna let Parsons' contract sit on ice for another year? Waste another year of Dwight Howard's skills (and patience)? All that "Summer of 2015" b.s. and whatnot?

This was all written, plain to see, the moment Parsons signed with Fegan.

So either we sign and keep Parsons (after other moves) or we include re-signed Parsons with Lin in a trade for Melo. Or some such.

But let's not bet the farm on having Kevin Love and Chandler Parsons on the same team, lest we trade Harden. Which we won't.

#626 ROXTXIA, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  7. basketballholic

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

But I can say the same thing about you. You might as well prepare to be wrong.

Back to the questions. Take a stab at them.

1. Who leaked this to Woj?

2. What was the motive of the person that leaked this to Woj?

8. basketballholic

Yes, I do. I still think this is more than likely the case if we don't acquire the third superstar by June 30th or at least have an agreed to deal for that superstar to be executed after the moratorium. The only way we will know for sure if Morey is going to make Parsons restricted is to wait until June 30th or at least until the date the trade takes place for the third superstar. This is just a rumor at this point. But it was put out there by a certain person and it does have intent.

Pure speculation by you on this. What Fegans got out of the Dwight deal was Parsons as a client. WHEN Parsons gets paid and Fegans gets paid is another matter altogether, a matter that is going to be determined by Morey, not Fegans.

Or we re-up Parsons at the miniscule salary we have him at, and trade away Lin/Omer/Jones/DMo to create approximately $20 million of cap space to sign Melo (or possibly Lebron or Bosh or even Dirk) with outright. REMEMBER, this is just a rumor at this point. Morey hasn't actually declined the option.

** Or we trade Asik/Lin/Jones/DMo/picks/youngsters for our 3rd superstar (or at least trade Lin for either nothing or some sort of asset that we can move more easily with Asik) before July 1st and in that case Morey can still decide which way he wants to play Parsons' free agency depending on the length of that superstar's contract.

Wouldn't bet the farm on Love being here at this point. But the odds overwhelmingly favor Parsons staying here through next season and for the next several seasons.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

For those saying we don't need three stars, and instead we'd do fine with just adding more solid players, you ave to realize that only works if you have a great system and coach, a la popovich and thibodeau.

Not taking shots at just Mchale, spoelstra wouldn't be able to coach the spurs, but he doesn't need to be like pop to coach lebron, wade, and bosh. Brooks can barely get it done with durant Westbrook and Ibaka.

We need that third star

1 person likes this.
  10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The Bulls don't really have a great system, their offense is every bit as bad as their defense is good, and to quote Stan Van Gundy, their regular season performance is basically because he plays his guys the most minutes

#630 Aleron, Jun 5, 2014
  11. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don't think anything has really changed. The priority is still to get a 3rd star by whatever means necessary. The strong preference is to get the player while still keeping Parsons, but if he has to be sacrificed.....so be it.

I have a hard time seeing Parsons getting traded, but if Morey believes Parsons is the difference in the Rockets getting Love/Melo/Bosh/etc., then he will be gone. Thus, if Parsons is resigned, that tells me that Morey DOES NOT believe he will keep us from getting that 3rd player.

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Yet they keep winning without a player that won MVP the last time he was healthy.

1 person likes this.
  13. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1rroTIufkNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. basketballholic

Total BS.

And this guy gets paid for that flimsy, paper-thin, crap analysis of the "rumor".

15. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

yep yep... At least the gal on the quick clip made up for his so-so analysis.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

They were good enough to not make the playoffs in the west and then required an ejection to even win a single playoff game against a 44 win team and the games weren't even close. He's comparing that to the Spurs....

#636 Aleron, Jun 5, 2014
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not to say I agree with Gottlieb, but I sort of see what he's saying (or trying to say) that in a vacuum with the "why pay early when you can get a free year basically" statement.

It would make sense to me, since this is what I thought all along would happen & why people were so shocked yesterday, to have kept Parsons on his deal, take advantage of the contract year, and let the chips fall where they may next Summer (assuming he wants to stay in Houston and would if they matched an offer in UFA).

If people are coming out & criticizing the move like this, its probably because they dont understand or know why they are doing it, and what chess pieces Morey has lined up. Come July 15th, I think we will have a pretty crystal clear analysis to give on whether or not it was the right move.

I personally think this move is intriguing and opens up a world or questions & possibilities, but I am realistic that it does have the opportunity to be a complete bust... especially if (worst case scenario)-

A. the Rockets dont land another star
    B. They trade Asik, Lin & Assets before they know better & lose them as later trade pieces
    C. They end up letting Parsons go & lose for nothing
    and
    D. You make a panic free agent signing/signings or trade that never live up to the hope you had in early June the previous year.

Its a huge gamble if it doesn't work out. Obviously Gottlieb is a little more skeptical but we just have to wait and see.

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

can't agree with anything in that video because he was hesitant to say that Love would fit with this team. He is literally the perfect fit. He spreads the floor and can take actually grab a rebound.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Well sure. I think every other analyst in the world would say sure... plug Love in at the PF and the Rockets take a huge step forward, but to me I see what he was trying to get at with the Parsons contract question.

I think everyone is a little confused (whether they admit it or not is another thing) about what exactly Morey is trying to accomplish by making Parsons a RFA. To me I see interviews like this, and see what other reporters out there are saying and it says to me that nobody really knows what the hell Morey is trying to do, and everyone is speculating.

The criticism and/or praise is just gonna have to wait.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Rockets leaking info to frighten teams away?

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/06...-back-a-concern-if-he-hits-free-agent-market/