1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets decline team option on Francisco Garcia

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oelman44, May 13, 2013.

1. arjun

arjun Member

so what would be the point of trading delfino/brooks nonguaranteed contract?

why would another team want them? would they just shed salary and give us back a guaranteed contract? do we want this?

would this be a key in getting a player like gasol or someone on a 1 yr contract if we are unable to nab dwight?

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

To acquire talent whether it be a draft pick or in conjunction with other players to acquire a player for another team.

To play basketball. No, Rockets don't want guaranteed contract that another team sheds unless it is a star player. No, to the guaranteed contract.

No, as Gasol type move is only done if other moves don't work and Dwight can't sign before Rockets have to make decision on them.

3. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Hope we sign him back cheap.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In the past with the Dalembert and Brad Miller trades, there was value both in the contract option, and the player for those teams if they chose to retain them.

I assume its like free agency insurance for teams like the Bucks or Timberwolves that don't what they are going to get in free agency to go ahead and get a player that can potentially help them for the next year, and buy some time where if another player, or option came to them in trade, they have the ability to waive them before the deadline came. If no better options come available, you have yourself a solid vet on a one year deal.

Just a theory on why teams consistently trade for those player on draft night that the Rockets have year in and year out. For some reason, Morey seems to do well in using those "non-guaranteed" years to make moves on draft night.

From the Rockets perspective, those players were most likely always viewed as one year deals despite having the second year non-guaranteed. The Rockets can put that extra year out there with the notion that if they needed to, they could have them back on the cheap, but more than likely they would only be with the team for a year, and an asset on trade night.

Its shrewd no doubt, but the vets that sign up for these contracts have to be educated enough to know that this is the score, and they shouldn't plan on being with the team past that one year.

#104 dobro1229, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  5. shawn786

shawn786 Member

It was a given Garcia's option wasn't going to be picked up.

I'm sure he will land some where w/ a nice playoff performance.

I'm just wondering on Delfino? He was a big part of our team this season & at a pretty cheap price for what he brings but I know Morey wants as much $$ free to go after DHoward , JSmith, Etc.

6. the shark

the shark Member

THIS is exactly why we'll lose him.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The injury really makes it very difficult to see any other option but to either trade him on draft night, or waive him before free agency to insure the cap space to go after a max free agent... assuming Dwight and CP3 do not verbally commit before draft night(which they wont).

However, the good news though for Rockets fans(bad news for Delfino) is that his injury could allow the Rockets to re-sign him at a later date closer to the start of the season. For this reason as well, I think it is less likely that he will be traded on draft night than Aaron Brooks. Delfino's injury could keep his value low enough for the Rockets to re-aquire him later.

(Dont know the exact rules on when a team can re-sign a player that they waive, but Im almost positive its something they can do in a reasonable timeframe.)

I do think a teams will still look to acquire both him and Brooks on draft night though. I would guess that they will be either moving down, or acquiring at least one more pick that night. My guess is Brooks will the first to go via trade. Aaron Brooks at 3 mil a year is a bargain for a team needing a good backup PG.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Blog post on the way regarding cap consequences of declining the option on Garcia . . . but not the consequences most of you think.

(Attention, basketballholic . . . you're going to like this one, especially since you're the one who got me thinking about this topic.)

9. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

He was a man on a mission when given his assignments...someone I'd appreciate in my corner. A leader on the court and from the bench.

10. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

Yes, yes

11. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Early decision shows respect, Gacia will have more time to pick a team.

12. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

?????? ANSWER for rep

13. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

1 person likes this.
  14. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

15. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We need to be careful not to invest too much hope in "big parts" of sub 50 win teams!

Not bagging anyone out here, just pointing out that guys who shoot around 40% from the 3pt line are certainly available, and we can't let them get in the way of making a major move.