1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Dealing for Bogans (UPDATE: Bogans-Baxter deal completed)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gucci888, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

This leaves DA subject to being cut. I don't see where DA gets any minutes with this deal. The deal wouldn't have ever happened if JVG had any confidence in DA, who has been healthy for a week now.

Bogans is the better defensive player, but DA has the better track record on offense. I think JVG sees Bogans as kind of a Ryan Bowen, but with at least some shooting ability. With Bogans, JVG will get a lot of the hustle and rebounding that Bowen brings, but teams won't be able to sag off of him completely like they do with Bowen. This is a minor tweak, but having a more capable backup at SF could allow JVG to cut TMac's minutes down a little bit in the interest of his health. Also, check out the energy that George brought for the Lakers last night. Bogans could be that kind of player - energy, but without being hopeless on offense like Bowen.

Has Bogans ever played on a decent team? You never know - he could become a Trenton Hassell kind of player. We could use a guy like that.

DA and Bowen are the big losers in this deal. Maybe DA will be part of some other trade for cap purposes.

#61 Furious Jam, Feb 9, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

NOW we have "serious lineup issues?" :D Dumping Lonnie Baxter will be devastating.

Barry came back too early last time and that is why he is hurt now. DA hasn't really done squat for us when he was here...I not sure why your hopes are so high on him.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Now with this Bogans deal, how is it going to help the squad? Is he going to be the backup to T-Mac? Is he going to replace Wesley for some actual defense and height?

4. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Who knows, maybe they're also working on a trade for DA as well. It does appear that he and Bogans both play the same position, which is essentially behind T-Mac. Crap, our backcourt is crowded again. I hope we get it all sorted out soon.

5. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

While DA hasn't been that spectacular this season, he sure is better than either Moochie or Bowen. In a game that was a must win, JVG should have put his ego aside and played the players that gave the team the best chance to win. No excuses.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I disagree. I thought DA was coming on strong right before his injury. Much like Stromile was. I think DA gives us another player whose willing to attack the basket and rebound. Head/Mooch/Bowen will hopefully disappear from the lineup. Ideally, I'd like to see:

Rafer/Wesley
    Bogans/JB
    Tmac/DA
    Howard/Stromile
    Yao/Mutumbo

One interesting thing is last year JVG mentioned it was hard keeping everyone happy with minutes. They've just added another perimeter player who should get minutes. If they're expecting Sura to come back, I expect another trade to cut down on their swingman.

The Rockets won four in a row. They've struggled to win games all year, and you want to mess with what they had when they're winning? DA and JB *should* be back now that we lost, that's probably the best thing about last night.

7. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

^^^^^^^^^^ u beat me to it

alston/norris/sura

wesley/barry/head

tmac/bogans/DA/bowen <<---- seems crowded here

howard/swift/hays

yao/deke

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I don't think DA gets cut, he's hardly making anything.......

Sure, he's as tough as an egg shell but he is at least an established scorer that could still help the team out now that we're slowly getting everybody back together.

9. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yuck! The Rockets have so many scrubs on their roster, damn, we really overrated the roster overhaul JVG and CD made.

10. xcomputerman

I don't understand why you want Wesley to come up for Rafer. Have we not seen enough empirical evidence this season that playing PG ruins Wesley's game completely? Wesley is a perimeter defender and a shooter. He is NOT a point guard and should never be forced into that position. I'd rather have Moochie playing PG than Wesley, seriously.

11. ndnguy85

ya tell me about it. take tracy and yao out and we gotta a high school team. i cant believe we thought this was a championship caliber team. cd is a cheap b*stard.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It's not a permanent situation. When Sura comes back he assumes that role. I love JVG.. but I wish he would make it harder for Wesley to find mintues than JB/DA. Wesley was adequate when he played PG, his shooting % suffered some though. With the way Alstons been playing lately, don't expect anyone getting big PG minutes anyways.

13. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Truer words have never been spoken.

You know, Moochie is overpaid, but he is still a good backup NBA PG. Maybe his defense is poor or something, but at least he can hit shots on a team where very few people can.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

PG Alston/Head/Moochie/Sura
    SG Wesley/Bogans/Barry
    SF T-Mac/DA/Bowen
    PF Howard/Swift/Hayes
    C Yao/Deke

This is way I would shape up the rotation, at least until another roster move is made.

15. xcomputerman

Not really. All we are seeing is that our scrubs have been playing starter minutes for so long, and now our real players are all healthy (except for Sura) and we're trying to sort out the rotation. It's a mess that was bound to happen but nobody saw it coming. We all fell in love with our scrubs (Chuck Hayes, Luther Head, Lonny Baxter, JLIII etc, still hated RyBo and Moochie but ya know...). Now the team we were looking forward to in the preseason is back, but we don't know what to do with the scrubs who have been overachieving all this while and playing so well. It's just a matter of getting the team to re-crystallize, get the chemistry going and get on a roll. It's like the labor before childbirth, or something.

16. ndnguy85

i am expecting some more changes to come. cd is probably just setting the stage for some more trades.

cd knows they are losing a lot of money at the toyota center and if they don't fix it soon..he probably will be fired.

we now have too many guards..i dont know who but someone is going before the deadline. thats gonna be a temp fix. during the summer we will get rid of swift and do some more major work before the next season.

17. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, Bogans played point for Kentucky. I think he will get minutes at the 2 and become the backup PG.

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Very true. Good post.

19. xcomputerman

Yeah, this is probably the most reasonable rotation I've seen. Although I think Swift will get more minutes playing backup for Yao, and we shouldn't be surprised to see Swift and Hayes together on the court for several minutes. If only Stro was more consistent -- I've seen flashes of how potent our offense can be with him, Yao and T-Mac on the court, and I wish we could get a lot more of it. Dangit Stro. Why do you have to suck?

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Niiiiicccceeee!!!!!

Add another player in JVG's highly potent offensive scheme with a handicap FG %. The possibilities for laying bricks have just expanded exponentially.

The 2 weakest links in JVG's system, as it stands, are Yao and Tmac. Ben Wallace's contract is expiring. Anyway we can trade both for Ben Wallace? JVG is gonna love the scoreboard after that goes down. Rockets hold opponents to 30% fg but shoot 10% themselves.

I like Bogans, but I think we need offense more than we need defense right now. Tmac is wearing down with the load and pressure JVG has put on him. *sigh*