1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets cut Isaiah Hartenstein

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 23, 2020.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think you meant isn't instead of is really a good switch defender at all.

HP3, D-rock and Nook like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Correct, he isn't a good switch defender.

HP3, D-rock and saleem like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When's the last time Rudy Gobert got past the 2nd round?

HP3 and MettaWorldPete like this.
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Who cares? They have value. Just because they don't have a jump shot doesn't change that. Try to keep up. Hartenstein had value. His value is going to go up this year because he's getting an opportunity. You can do what you want with that value like flipping him to another team, instead of dumping him for nothing.

roslolian and fattz like this.
  5. fattz

fattz Member

A big body with some game for the end of a rotation on a rookie contract. (Could have used that last game). IMO, it’s save to say cutting him was a mistake. The size of it’s wrongness is more than debatable. I will say this , IMO, if he was on the team we would be 1 and 0 at this moment. We were being bullied in the low post and coaching (now) with Hartinstien’s talent would have made the difference in this one game. (Cousins currently has this role but was out).

Here is were my thoughts are:
    Hartinstien & GG
    OR
    Clemons and Thomas

MettaWorldPete and roslolian like this.
  6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I wish we had given Hartenstein a chance last season, but that ship has sailed. He still would never have gotten into the rotation this season. Wood is our starting center now and Cousins is the primary backup, both of them are much more talented than him and can space the floor. It would be nice to have him as injury insurance for Cousins, but we don't even have a backup PG right now. I'm much more concerned about that than third string center.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

The other dude talking about value is right. I can understand if Hartenstein signed for some ridiculous amount but he signed for 1.6M a year. That is still great value for a player of his caliber regardless whether he can hit a J or not.

Even as a lob target or just 5 hard fouls or 5 mins of rest for Wood and Cousins, Harty would've outplayed that salary.

It was dumb to cut him and when the Rox did, they should have signed him in FA immediately.

I'm not gonna lose sleep on a 3rd string center making 1.6M, but at the same time a mistake is a mistake. It all adds up.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

You need 3 at ever position. For pg you can always have sgs be the pg, but for center it should mostly be a dedicated dude.

9. MrButtocks

How many championship teams have three dedicated centers nowadays? Some barely have two. More teams have PF playing center than have SGs playing point. The Lakers playing Harrell at primary backup center while having two dedicated point guards.

10. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Get ready for the Hartenstien revenge game tonight. It’s totally possible that he goes 20 and 10 while shutting down Wood. I’ll say it again, CUTTING HARTENSTIEN WAS A MISTAKE!

I’m starting to see Wood more and more as a PF and not a C. I think Hartenstien would look great with C-Wood. If the Rockets would’ve cut Clemons instead of Hartenstien to sign Nwaba then they would have had room to keep Gerald too. Damn it!

TEXNIFICENT and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How did you know they didn't try to move him?

HP3 likes this.
  12. MrButtocks

Morey's long history of poor asset management. /s

HP3 likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

At 1.6M there is literally no harm at getting a backup center. You got big teams like Portland, Lakers or Denver a backup is def needed in case Cousins goes down for a couple of games.

TEXNIFICENT and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. MrButtocks

We hardcapped ourselves to get Wood so $1.6M hurts. We can't even afford to sign Gerald Green to the minimum because of it. If Cousins were our starting center we'd probably need to make backup center a priority, but he's not. With injury prone Wall being our starter a backup PG is a far more pressing priority.

HP3 likes this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

Should have kept iHart over Clemonade.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I blame Westbrook and whoever wanted to trade for him. We got rid of all bigs who could not shoot outside because we needed to hide Westbrook's weakness. I thought it wasn't very wise to shape your team for the benefit of your second option, and your second option was not helping your first option.

17. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Definitely should have kept him, he hustles on defense, he is making good passes and even has a decent pick and roll game going. I knew at the time that was a bad decision.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

LIterally ignored his bad games. LOL. These are great for the minutes he got. I dont want to hear it. He was never as good as you made him out to be and he was no difference maker.

19. HP3

HP3 Member

This is flat out not true. Holy crap. Do I have to post that article again LOL.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

About to get completely toasted in the pick and roll tonight.

HP3 likes this.