1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets cut Isaiah Hartenstein

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 23, 2020.

1. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Those are facts, but you can't ignore the other facts. Their coaching and moves set us back. Losing draft picks, trades and not developing young guys, and short rotations, which burned our guys out when it mattered most. And not to mention the worse style of basketball to watch as a fan.

bballjunkie and fattz like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

glad token is doing well elsewhere

3. HP3

HP3 Member

Set us back from what? Winning....nope. We won and we won a lot. When you have James Harden, you use those picks to improve the team. Morey did what he did to put us in position to win and he's done a damn good job. Short rotations after injuries? Im assuming you mean 0-27 hmm...you should go and check that ECF match up and get back to me on that. Our style was great, we won. You can hate it but it was effective and we nearly beat the GOAT team doing it...twice.

clos4life likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Hartenstein would be a great rotational big for this team, Wood, Boogie, Tuck and Harty as a 4 man big rotation would be really solid.

fattz likes this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Ifs and buts and all that.
    Almost doesn’t count man, they won a lot of games but didn’t win when it mattered, bottom line.
    Small ball and short rotations is also a recipe for disaster, yes it can work well is spurts, but is destined to fail.
    All they had to do was extend the rotation to not wear down your top 7 as much, or throw in a big or two when Russ wasn’t on the court.

bballjunkie likes this.
  6. CXbby

CXbby Member

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harteis01/gamelog/2020

He got big minutes four times as a Rocket last year and killed it each time. And was never given a shot after. One of the more head scratching moves by Dantoni in a line of head scratching moves.

bballjunkie, fattz, cmoak1982 and 2 others like this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Losing Hartenstein is not the end of the world and I'm not saying he's the second coming. But when the coach refuses to play him even though he plays well whenever given the opportunity and the gm ends up cutting him and then he goes on to do well for another team, meanwhile the coach and gm both end up leaving the team for dead, that's a bad look.

SkareKrow, bballjunkie, fattz and 3 others like this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

So a 4 game sample size lolol, excellent work there. He's played in more than that and he wasnt ready. No center that couldnt shoot could fit well with Russ either. Im sorry but I dont want to hear this crap. Hartenstein wasnt winning us a chip any of the years we had him and he's not winning anyone a chip now. He's a back up big.

Yea when back at all this, Im gonna think OH NO WHY DIDNT WE KEEP HARTENSTEIN LOL. Please.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It was a perfect example of why MAYBE it's not a bad thing that Morey and MDA are gone. It was obvious at the time that keeping Clemons and cutting Hartenstein was a foolish mistake, but it happened anyway. Maybe Morey was just checked out by then and wanted to hurt the franchise, who knows?

What I do know is that I have a LOT more faith in the current head coach and current GM than I did the last one. People often forget how many times Morey got saved from himself when he lost out on deals he wanted. The Harden deal was amazing, but Morey is still trying to coast off of that one move.

As to MDA, all he's known for is regular season success and epic flameouts in the playoffs....surprise surprise, that's what we had with him here.

True Rocket, fattz and CXbby like this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

4 games is a small sample. But it was also a sample of 100% of the games he was given real minutes. No one is arguing that Hartenstein is some great player based off four games. Dantoni's failure was not even giving him a fifth game.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

One of countless mistakes by MDA. Just a bad coach.

12. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

He will wind up as part of the return in the trade package for Harden.

SMH as much as I loved Morey I can’t name one prospect developed under him. He brought plenty in. Covington, Wood, Hartenstein, I’m sure there are more. And no I’m not blaming the coaches. He hired the coaches.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What games are you counting? He had 5 10+ minute games.

13 minutes - 4 points, 0 rebounds
    30 minutes - 6 points, 16 rebounds
    13 minutes - 9 points, 1 rebounds
    10 minutes - 1 point, 2 rebounds
    21 minutes - 7 points, 5 rebounds

HP3, topfive and saleem like this.
  14. fattz

fattz Member

Capela

Hartinstien is a player that makes other players better. When he won the finals MVP in the G League. The team clicked with him as a focal point. We definitely developed him but didn’t know what to do when he was ready. I liked that he was cut because it meant he was advocating for himself. He WANTS to play not cash checks.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This one is completely on MDA. MDA doesn't know what to do with a center. That being said, there really isn't any space for him on this year's roster so he would have been cut anyway.

NewAge likes this.
  16. CXbby

CXbby Member

There are more months to the season than just November.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

I give credit to Morey for Capela, but mostly Harden. But after he got paid he turned into trash.

18. fattz

fattz Member

He was in valley playing in a different league/team on rookie scale. I don’t understand your point. Maybe Morey but he is the same person that cut him without a return.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In 2 games with the Nuggets, Hartenstein is averaging 24/16 with 6 blocks per 36. If we had him for game 1, we likely beat the Blazers due to him being able to give us someone to throw up against big centers off the bench.

This shouldn't be a question anymore.

It's odd that the same people who whine about not throwing a ridiculous contract at a washed up Ariza or who whine about not throwing a ridiculous contract extension at a washed up PJ Tucker are the same people who are seemingly fine with Morey cutting a beneficial NBA player in favor of a worthless NBA player.

SkareKrow, LorneMalvo and CXbby like this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

This amounted to the coaches not playing him...... Old school coaches, the ones our owners are keen on, seem to lack the imagination or stomach to let rookies make mistakes.

You are a bit dull if you think Morey drafts guys to not play them.

MettaWorldPete likes this.