1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets could make a move for Tyler Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Jun 19, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

TJ won't be playing so long as rivers and EG are both available. these extra players being added are nothing more than insurance really.

pr0wler and RustyHarden like this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if any of JH/RW/EG go down in the playoffs we're basically fcuked anyways. tyler johnson's shooting makes josh smith look like stephenie :D

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

We'll see tuesday at 5.45

francis 4 prez and Dacamel like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Tj's shooting is much better than josh smith's. it's actually respectable. nobody cares if JS shoots lol

pr0wler likes this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

for his career respectable perhaps, but the past couple years... ughhh

i just don't think we have enough margin of error to even give him any minutes those 8 reg season games. and without any game reps mda's not gonna play him in a playoff series even if we have injuries. he'll just tighten up the rotation even more :D

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

he hasn't played much at all so the numbers are a bit sporadic rather than being able to reach the mean over the course of a full season but he's capable.

I'm not expecting much from potential additions for orlando. Tj would be a welcome one to me, especially in case of people like rivers/eg potentially being gone down the road

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

NBA is allowing teams to pick up 2 more players, why not take advantage of this instead of saying we like what we got?

Do not look a gift horse in the mouth.

Richie_Rich and Nook like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Could be better than Mclemore. Why not I guess.

Frankly I would start him and move Harden to Forward. Rivers sucks at scoring efficiently and Mclemore sucks at defense. TJ might be superior to both. Any player who can play defense and hit a 3 is a positive. If he doesn’t beat them out, it means at least one of the other 2 is killing it, and were paid the minimum.

Keep Gordon on bench for some microwave action.

We still need a backup big who can play D but I sense they are going all in with the micro ball. Makes sense, if you believe in the idea, then today’s small ball should be smaller than ever.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

He is a forward in the Rockets system....just kidding

pippendagimp likes this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

there's a wall street saying "sure my stock crashed, but at least it was on low volume!" :D

i actually wouldn't mind trying to resurrect his career for next season, but again i seriously doubt he gets any playing time at all in orlando

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

you're aware of his 28% clip rite?

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

I agree, me either but we could say the same for basically anyone else that will be added with the extra roster openings

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i hate posting this, but for instance, possibly, a guy like bogut, or arggghh, even bogut himself, can't believe i'm posting this, might be useful for few minutes stretches in the playoffs

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

under normal circumstances this would be true, but the rockets aren't playing any true 5's at this point. we should know that by now with the full commitment to small ball. and plus they already have someone just as good in Chandler. he just won't be playing either lol

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

while i appreciate your sincere attempt to help me exterminate this bogut idea from my head, i still think we should have the flexibility and option to throw a goon out there every once in a while

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Haha. Until morey, mda, players and co place a slight pedal off their 100% all in of small ball, I’m not expecting a true 5 getting any mins whatsoever.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i could see tyson getting a few minutes here and there, maybe against the fakers. but he's built like JJ from Good Times, we need a real goon :D

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Not sure where youre getting that indication. He hasn’t played once since the commitment. And his last time on the floor was Jan 18 lol.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

my impression is that silver's zebra goons will be getting tuck/rob in foul trouble quite a bit, leaving us with just green/thabo to fill in, and i see mda calling tyson's # before harty or caboclo. although i would not put it past him to just play house or carroll at the 5 spot either :D

20. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i think clemons can still get PT against the bad teams. its only the teams that will force a mismatch on him down low where he can't play...johnson aint shooting well regardless of being able to switch. i don't see johnson taking rivers minutes. he's probably bench fodder too.