1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets continue to miss the boat on F.A. deals...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets-R-Us, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

One of the many players discussed as possible solutions to the Rockets bench and offensive woes last season was to add someone like the Raptors Morris Peterson. I only add the following because it involves players I and several other members of the CC.Net have had on our collective wish lists for the ROX off-season efforts ever since the Game 7 loss was shoved down our throats. So, now after beating us in the Playoffs and getting one of the best shooters in the draft one spot ahead of us....

The Jazz are trying to woo veteran Morris Peterson, and the former Toronto guard reportedly shares their enthusiasm
    The veteran guard, who has played the last seven seasons for the Toronto Raptors, reportedly wants to play in Utah -

6-foot-7, 220 pounds
    * Guard-Forward
    * Born: Aug. 26, 1977
    * Played on 2000 NCAA championship team at Michigan State.
    * NBA-leading consecutive games streak (371) ended this past season.
    * A career 37.1 percent three-point shooter and 12.0 ppg scorer.
    * Has hit seven three-pointers in game three times in career.

Doesn't this sound like a better alternative than Landry or Brooks? Or, how about:

Toronto lures Kapono from Miami

Toronto reached agreement on a four-year, $24 million contract with Miami's Jason Kapono in the opening hours of the negotiating period. Kapono led the NBA in three-point shooting percentage this season.

Lakers to re-sign Walton

ESPN.com reported that unrestricted free agent forward Luke Walton reached agreement Sunday with the Los Angeles Lakers on a six-year, $30 million contract.

These are all players that would have instantly made the Rockets a much deeper and better overall team than the ridiculous draft day decisions by Morey. And now we're supposed to be all "atwitter" because Morey said the magical name of Rashard Lewis. I can take things not being what I want, but I cannot stand the B.S.!!!!!!!!!!

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

No way! Somebody actually wants to play in Utah?!?! I don't believe that for a second.

3. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

all player would be usefull for the rockets. but how should we get them? spending 6 mio per season for kapono is ridiculous. luke walton obviously wanted to stay with the lakers because otherwise he wouldn't have re-signed already.

mo peterson would be a good option but i doubt we have anything to offer to get him.

4. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

We already have a luke walton in battier, Jason Kapono got signed for TOO much money IMO, and Morris Peterson would be a great pick up but we are already stacked in gaurds.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

A few years ago MoPete would have been great, or if JVG was still the coach. He was clearly more of an odd man out last year with Toronto, but I think that's because the athleticism of the game might be starting to pass him by. I think Adelman's trying to make this team much faster and more athletic.

I like all 3 players, but not at their prices, and not in replace of frontcourt help.

$24 million for a player with only 1 useful season under his belt, and even during that season with the only useful stat being his amazing 3 point shooting?

$30 million for Luke Walton...a Shane Battier clone with potentially even less ahtleticism.

Any or all of the MLE for MoPete....

I don't know who we'll end up with, but we can't afford to target backcourt talent right now.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

What's the correlation between the draft day decisions and free agency? I don't understand.

7. aamir

aamir Member

They are all basically 2/3s (mainly 3s), where the Rockets are already stacked. It would be hard to lure a free agent in with promises of little money and no playing time.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

OMG!!! The Rockets missed out on Luke Walton and Jason Kapono!! FIRE MOREY!!

Like The Cat posted, what does this have to do with Brooks and Landry, are you saying we should have just skipped the draft to concentrate on signing bum FAs?

The truth is that we have no need for any of the guys you mentioned, I like MoPete a lot but there wouldn't be any PT for him here, TMac, Snyder, Wells, and Head, will all see time at SG. Plus, SG isn't a position of need so there is no point in spending our MLE on one.

9. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Kapono and Novak have the same skillset. Only difference was that Novak didnt get any playing time last year.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I wish the Rockets would build with young guys. Having all these old guys under contract is fine if they are healthy and still contributing or you can move their contract because it appeals to someone.... but that's not always the case is it.

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Rockets-R-Us continues to be Debbie Downer.

12. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

the level of offseason whining has reached a new high.

this post is completely irrelevant. if you're so stoked about mopete go buy his frickin jazz jersey and spare us your b****ing...

13. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

I don't think either of these players are the type of players we need. Neither one is a power forward! Everyone is complaining about how many guards we have and you're upset that we didn't go after two other guard/forwards? We're stacked at the SG/SF position. I wouldn't say this is missing the boat. Granted Morey has yet to show us anything yet, but let's not come up with problems to blame him with.

14. LOSDOG

LOSDOG Member

If those are the only boats the Rocks missed then I say please wait till the best looking boat comes are way.....Dont deal just to deal!! None of those players are worth dealing or signing. Rocks have other immediate needs and have bigger and better boats coming are way.... :cool:

15. jason_long

jason_long Member

manager's decision making?

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The first post implies that because of the presence of Brooks/Landry on the roster, the Rockets won't pursue certain players. That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The problem with all of the players mentioned is that they are signing for more money than the Rockets can afford to pay. They will wait for Rashard Lewis to say no to a pay cut and then they will go after Joe Johnson, declare victory and go home.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. Free agency generally will yield more to the Rockets than the draft, Walton or no Walton. No surprises there.

2. These guys aren't power forwards. We're looking for a power forward. We don't need yet another guy to play behind Battier, McGrady, Bonzi, and James. Find me a power forward we are neglecting to pursue and get back to me.

3. Rashard Lewis is being pursued because he's good, not because he's a small forward. Just because we want Lewis doesn't mean we can settle for some other, less talented small forward. We need a power forward. Anything else is a distraction.

4. Power forward, okay?

19. slpntz

slpntz Member

Joe Johnson? Do you mean Amir Johnson?

20. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

The other difference is Novak is much taller than Kapono.