1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Combine Interviews/Workouts

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Da Wink, May 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ We saw how long it took for Hassan Whiteside and Timofey Mozgov to emerge into top ten centers in the league. I wouldn't pass on a kid just because we don't need him now or even in the next 2-3 years.

2. Chamillionaire

Tyus is the only guy in that 18 area. The guys they're looking at are mocked early 2nds. Upshaw would be nice. If he develops into a rim protector / rebounding C, he could be a valuable asset a la Whiteside.

I like (if available)

Terry Rozier
    Guillermo Hernangomez (stash)

Buy a pick.
    Robert Upshaw
    Tyler Harvey

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N8gqkC1UJ7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

My only problem with Hernangomez is his indecisiveness in picking a last name may translate to indecisiveness on the court.

4. Chamillionaire

Harvey's NBA potential lies in his ability to continue shooting from distance at a high efficiency level while getting his shot off against NBA defenders. He will be a bit undersized at 6'4” compared to other shooting guards, with just a 6'5 ½ wingspan, and will need to find a way to get separation from his defender to attempt a shot. None of his athletic tools are exciting but he did post one of the top five marks in the lane agility drill at the NBA Combine, showing he might have the burst necessary in the half-court to get a step on his defender.

What will help Harvey is the fact that he only needs a small amount of space to get his shot, as he has a lightning quick release and a high release point that will make it difficult for taller defenders to block. His form doesn't look all that convential, but it works, as Harvey shot 40.9% on threes, sixth best among shooting guards in our top 100.

Harvey is extremely capable of shooting the ball off the dribble, which makes him a deadly ball screen player. He was the second best shooter off the dribble in the country last season (min. 100 possessions), shooting 51.8% according to Synergy Sports Technology. If defenses sag off him just a step, he can gather himself and rise and fire for a shot in rhythm. If they step out on him, Harvey is a decent ball-handler and while he can get into the paint at times, it can take him a while to get there and he will need to improve his handle to shake NBA defenders.

He shows a similar quick release around the rim, which will help overcome his lack of explosiveness and allowed him to be a solid finisher in college, shooting 58.6% on just 70 attempts according to Synergy Sports Technology. Improving his strength will be necessary to absorb contact around the rim (he did attempt a solid 5.8 free throws per 40 minutes pace adjusted) and developing a runner in the lane will be helpful to help him score over the rim protectors and protect his body over the course of a season.

Harvey hasn't shown the ability to create opportunities for his teammates, as he was more focused on his own offense. In a different role, Harvey will need to have his head up with the ball, as he will need to develop the vision and accurate passes to help his team's offense. He seemed to make passes as a last resort and didn't always focus on putting his teammates in position to score and becoming a more willing passer will be a nice skill to add to his offensive repertoire.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3dnle0Z6k
    http://www.draftexpress.com

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

So then you need to know what his work ethic is like. Is he a hard worker or does he wait to grow into his body while he does nothing like Whiteside?

(Whiteside was busting his ass so hard that he started 15 out of 65 D-League games)

6. don grahamleone

7. Chamillionaire

Another lefty. And a shooter. Obviously PG / facilitator is our priority but after the first 3 (Russell, Mudiay, Payne), the "2nd tier" PGs include Tyus, Grant, Wright, Rozier. I just don't see that big a difference in any of these players. I like Tyus obviously but he's not going to be there at 18 so I think Rozier could do well with us at 32 off the bat as a backup or a third string point guard.

This guy reminds me of CC. Maybe not as athletic, but definitely similar style of play. Very efficient, high FG% player. True 7 footer, 7'3 wingspan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gx1pD3bHrk&index=74&list=PLGbx-x-czRRdZXh2Spuoqk8p3-10t8I77

Nikola Milutinov

8. Sanity2disChaos

T.Harvey looks like a good 2nd rd pick...if no big is worthy I would think this kid would be a great pick-up.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kendall Gray <a href="https://twitter.com/6foot9foot">@6foot9foot</a> of Delaware State University / Polytech HS will work out with the <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets">@HoustonRockets</a> today</p>&mdash; 1st State Sports (@1stStateSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/1stStateSports/status/612979781831946240">June 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

On ability the guy is Lotto. But, a troubled soul. Would DM the GM consider him after the Mayor's man left the Cyclones, and Rockets?

11. don grahamleone

He looks to be an outstanding rebounder by the numbers. In this video below his body doesn't look NBA ready, but that's probably 4 years of highlights in one video. A man's body usually matures at about 22. If you're body/mind hasn't reached this stage yet, feel free to make jokes about what I just wrote. You can see his midrange touch starting at about 1:50 here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VkNPevEDvCA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Case by case basis, bro, it's the only way to go. What you should really ask is: Would DD the FF consider him after the Mayor's man left the Cyclones, and Rockets?

FF= Face-palm Fan

1 person likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">According to Doogie: Tyus Jones has worked out for the Houston Rockets twice, the Dallas Mavericks, Chicago Bulls, and finishes with Denver.</p>&mdash; Ken Lien (@mrbasketballmn) <a href="https://twitter.com/mrbasketballmn/status/613073235446513664">June 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. micah1j

micah1j Member

so I guess the Tyus Jones shutting down workouts because the Rockets guaranteed to draft him at 18 wasn't true.

14. Chamillionaire

This draft is loaded with PFs and Wings. I don't see us picking a PG at 18. I hope we buy a pick in the late 2nd.

15. Joemambo

Joemambo Member

LOL!!