1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com] Q&A With Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Parsons be pimpin maaayyyne

2. teebone21

teebone21 Member

everyone too busy talking about teen girls instead of the article smh

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL. My thought too.

4. Jimes

Jimes Member

Did Morey's explanation of why teams go iso at the end of quarters despite low efficiency blow anyone else's mind? So simple but I never thought of it.

I love how passionate he is about how the team plays.

Why would subbing in Goran with 5 mins left be bad? Too many minutes? Bad matchup?

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can someone calculate the odds of wining by having a better chance scoring but may ruin clock management (run a normal play) against the odds of winning by controlling the clock but have a lower percentage possession (ISO)?

In other words, is it better to make sure you have the highest chances of scoring or is it better to make sure the opponent doesn't have a chance to score afterward?

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. I think what we are referring to is McHale's decision NOT to sub in Goran at that point. IIRC, Goran didn't come in for Earl until 2:45 or so left. I kind of understand that the lineup with Earl, Bud, Lee, Scola and Pat did pretty well opening up a double-digit lead after entering the 4th qtr up by 1, but thought they left Goran (who was playing pretty well himself) on the bench a bit too long and Earl Boykins was kind of tiring.

2. As for "hero ball": I agree it helps having a capable iso-guy and that sometimes you want to run iso to control the clock, especially when you have a minute of less left on the clock. However, I think sometimes teams start getting iso-heavy and trying to run the shot clock down way too early, like when they are up 6 with 3-4 minutes left in the game. While I think it's good to limit the opponent's opportunity for a comeback, I don't think the mathematical trade-off (i.e. lowering your own FG% in order to kill the clock) is that good in such situations.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

An extreme case: Guy Lewis was heavily criticized for slowing down the Phi Slama Jama to kill the clock against NC State which led to the incredible comeback by Valvano's team.

8. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

They've had Guys night out, Ladies night out, and now the answer to selling out Rockets games:
    [​IMG]

lol. Sorry for going back to preteen girls topic.

I can see Morey's seats from mine at the games and every once in awhile I do glance over (not a creeper) to unsuccessfully see any sort of emotion from him being displayed that might give me the littlest hint as to what he is thinking. I've also noticed that he isn't there at the very end of games. Everything makes so much more sense now after reading this interview.

My mind was also blown after the end of the game iso explanation.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You have to tweet this pic to Morey and Friedman!

10. rockets0_12_7_1

[​IMG]

this pic further proves it :grin:

1 person likes this.
  11. dwnkst72

dwnkst72 Member

^hover hand LOL :)

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

As much as I <3 Parsons, I have to ask. What's up with all his zits? He didn't have them in college. Its like he just reached puberty.

13. AFS

AFS Member

Maybe he's gonna grow a few inches too? :grin:

14. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Chandler Pimp(le)arsons ;)

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

LOL at the presentation Daryl's daughter made over wanting a Macbook. She must see her dad working on all sorts of presentations at home.

I'm female and I do think CP looks like a movie star. Didn't asst. coach Kelvin Sampson call him "hey, Hollywood" in that rockets.com video that showed him practising with Luis? The thing with Parsons is he's a good basketball player and has a good head on his shoulders and is well-spoken. Those three qualities get the ladies every time.

Me? I just hope he continues helping us win games. The last two games were sub-par for him--IND and CHI.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Morey just explained it, no? And he's really only talking about the last possession or last few.

It's Ball Control vs read and react motion. I wouldn't just call it only ISO. It's just ball control at the end game. Ball control is a structured, well-defined X and O play, much like football, where everyone knows their role and really only one player needs to read the defense and make the final decision.

It could be an ISO...it could be a PnR...it could be a low post play to a star Big...it could be Reggie Miller waiting until 5 seconds left to run around a bunch of picks. You take time of the clock, run the play...any cuts and options are structured and simplified...and well timed. Plus, everyone now knows when to crash the boards for an offensive rebound.

I thought this was common knowledge. The other factors he didn't mention in end-game ball control was the play (a 1-4 flat ISO for instance or a PnR) have almost zero chance of an early turnover, whereas a "normal play" with early cuts and ball movement allows the defense to attack the ball. The defense not only has a chance to get a turnover earlier in the clock, but can force the ball into a 3rd or 4th option. For instance, if the defense gets you to swing the ball into a spot-up shooters hands in the corner, but close out, that shooter is now in trouble. Bigs with the ball outside of a set play for them can also spell trouble.

All the good possibilities of running a "normal play" also comes with giving the defense more chances to bust the play. When we talk about the common belief that you need a closer to win tight games, it's not just based on the success of that person taking the last shot...it's the success of the entire possession...which, as Morey pointed out, includes how much time you leave on the clock.

#36 heypartner, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

HAHA! That's a good thing. He may still be growing.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I always felt the primary reason for going to an isolation or pick and roll play on a last possession is you have more control over the type of shot you're going to get, and you also have more control over who is making the play / getting that shot. When you're just running a normal play, you're giving the defense a chance to dictate who gets the ball and who shoots it.

Morey's explanation about time management also makes a lot of sense. If your goal is to get a shot off within a very narrow time window, its easier to control that if the ball is in one guy's hands. Especially if that guy is your best ball-handler and decision-maker.

19. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

he actually referenced this idea quite a bit in defense of having someone like tracy on the team.

the net of the logic is that if you can 1) control the clock, 2) have a player that can get any shot he wants, and 3) have the ball in your best player/playmaker's hands then thats absolutely ideal. such was the case when tracy was actually a good player here.

it's also the reason that kobe/durant/cp3, etc should always have the ball in a last shot situation.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

"hero ball" is even more annoying in college when you have to watch them pass it around for 30 seconds till the shot clock runs out.

Would love to know Morey's thoughts on what to do about tanking/blowing it up to intentionally get bad. But I guess he can't give any opinions about the CBA.