1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com] JVG Q&A

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Sep 29, 2005.

1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rocketscom_Exclusive_Q__A_W-151139-822.html

Rockets.com Exclusive: Q & A With Jeff Van Gundy

In sports, few jobs are as demanding as head coach. The sporting industry is a cutthroat business that, despite officials saying otherwise, often does live and die by wins or losses. Jeff Van Gundy is entering his third season as head coach of the Rockets, and his tenure thus far has been successful. In his initial season with Houston, Van Gundy guided the team to a 45-37 record and their first playoff appearance since the 1998-1999 NBA campaign. Last season, Van Gundy led the Rockets to a 51-31 record, their first 50-win showing since the 1996-1997 season. During his two years, Van Gundy has made the Rockets into a defensive powerhouse, as the team has ranked among the top five in NBA defensive field goal percentage and points allowed. Rockets.com sat down with Van Gundy for an exclusive interview to talk basketball and coaching.

1. During the offseason, what is your approach , and generally what do you look for as head coach?

Generally, there is very little offseason anymore. It’s just one continuous season. Obviously, the draft and free-agent signings are important. Keeping your salary under the luxury tax (is important), as well as making sure your returning guys are in the best possible shape they can be in when they come back to you.

2. As far as the player workouts, a lot of them have come and worked out voluntarily. What does that say about the team?

I think that hard work in general doesn’t guarantee anything. But without having players work at their craft, it guarantees you that you’ll have no success. Our guys, for the most part, are professional. I think we’ll be ready to start practice on (October) 3rd and guys will be in good shape.

3. As a head coach, who were some of your influences as far as philosophy and basketball teaching?

My father would be one. Obviously my brother (Miami Heat head coach Stan Van Gundy). All the guys I played for along the way, and the people I’ve worked for as well. Most notably, Rick Pitino and Pat Riley. Philosophically, I really admire Bill Parcells. I’ve read a lot about him and I like how he’s structured his team.

4. What has been your greatest moment as head coach?

You know what, I don’t look at it like that. There are good moments and bad moments, and then there’s in-between. Some of the great moments would be some times in practice where either somebody got something (instruction-wise), or something could be humorous. It’s not like any one win, or anything like that.

5. What is your goal for the season, and what would have to occur for the season to be considered successful?

Well, again, it depends on your vantage point. I think everybody can judge a season a different way, whether it’s a player, a coach, a general manager, or a fan. That’s why I don’t get caught up in all that. The goal each day, every day, day by day is just to work to try to strive to be great that day. Then hope to make incremental progress so that you can be as good as you possibly can. I’m more focused on the process than the end result.

6. As a head coach, when it comes to basketball, what is your greatest fear?

I don’t know if “fear” is a good word. Obviously, for a team, unavoidable injury is hard to deal with. Great players on the opposing teams are hard to deal with. But if you can just focus on what you can control, then you’ll play as up to your potential as possible, and really that’s the only thing that you can control or worry about.

7. In your perspective, what wins basketball games?

There’s a lot that goes into it. Talent, chemistry, coaching, depth, being injury-free. I think the culture and environment of the team have to be solid. Not everyone has to play the same way or have the same style but you have to be solid and efficient in what you do.

8. When it comes to the strain and unforgiving nature of coaching, what drives and motivates you to wake up every day and do what you do?

Well, sometimes you’re not (motivated). I think that’s what separates people and their jobs. If you only perform well on those days that you feel your best, you’ll probably be very inconsistent at whatever job you have. It’s no different in athletics. What sets people apart are those people who can perform their best even when they’re not feeling their best.

9. What are your thoughts on Stromile Swift and Derek Anderson? How do you think they’ll impact the team?

I don’t know how I feel about them and I don’t know how they’ll impact. We’ll find out.

10. When your career as Rockets head coach comes to its close, how would you like to be remembered as a basketball coach by the city and fans of Houston?

I don’t think about legacies or stuff like that. That’s for other people to decide.

11. What type of player do you have to be to play for Jeff Van Gundy?

Well, I don’t think you have to be any certain type of player, but I have found out who I coach well and what types of players I don’t coach well. You find out along the way that not every player is for you as a coach and that you’re not for every player. I like guys who love the game, are passionate about winning, have gotten over themselves (ego-wise), and want to be part of something bigger than themselves. It’s a long year, and when you enjoy the people you work with, it makes the time a lot more enjoyable.

12. As a man of loyalty, trust, and honor, you demand the same of your team. How do those values contribute to success on the basketball court?

Well, unfortunately, this idea of “loyalty,” it’s different from a family, obviously. You don’t trade, cut, or hold out on family members, so the business of basketball sometimes gets in the way of the game of basketball. But when you are finally there, chemistry is hard to define but easy to see. Chemistry does have a lot to do with those intangibles (loyalty, trust, and honor). That goes a long way toward being a deciding factor, especially when teams and players in this league, except for a few of them, are very similar in ability.

2. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

jvg is a straight shooter.

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

JVG...what can you say about him? He seems like such a cold guy.

4. ACL1

ACL1 Member

"Our guys, for the most part, are professional"
    For the most part!!!!!?

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

I wish there could be one more question. who will be our starting PG and how to deal with SG glut.

6. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I love JVG. He is so honest.

7. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

He's not a cold guy. During most interviews, he is usually very guarded in his comments. If you caught some of his interviews this summer, he was great. But now that it's close to the season, his public persona has reverted to Van Grumpy.

8. droxford

droxford Member

Finger gestures by Bobby Sura and Jon Barry? He's right. For the most part, they're professional, with an occasional flamboyance.

9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Man, they don't call him Van Grumpy for nothing, is it too much to ask that he be a little more upbeat for a team interview. He was probably the only 4 year old that didn't believe in Santa Claus either.

10. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

van grumpy talk = poignant and articulate. no sugar coating. straight shootin.

i'd love to see a compilation of notable/memorable van gundy/yao ming quotes, our rockets ambassadors.

11. ghost2003

ghost2003 Member

I don't know about you guys. But he basically answered NOTHING. Why even bother with a Q&A session if he gives answers like that?!? :mad:

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think JVG is one of those guys where you could interview him and get no answers in return.

13. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

If we ever win it all under him, I would LOVE to see how he would act.. From everything I see as our coach for the past few years, he would just do that slow walk off the court into the locker room while all the players are jumping up and down, then when the media interviews him he would say something about "I need to start getting ready for next year" and how "it's even harder defending a title that winning it the first time".. GOOD OLE JVG always a glass half full type of guy..

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

JVG is all out business. You've got to love this guy.

"How do you feel about Swift and Anderson?"
    "I don't know how I fee, we'll see."

Fantastic. Our boys are going to have to work. Love it.

15. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

On specific basketball issues with the Rockets, JVG will rarely give an insightful answer because he's too cautious, unless he wants to criticize the team.

The king of all worthless interviews was Jack Pardee. Made me want to throw my radio into the pool.

16. superden

superden Contributing Member

haha... that's jvg for ya.

17. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

That would be classic.

18. G.O.A.T.

G.O.A.T. Contributing Member

That was alot of reading, and he said nothing.

19. Win

Win Contributing Member

Yeah classic JVG ;) It's taken a while, but I have come to look upon him with great appreciation. No Bull****, and absolutely NO hyperbole. 'Twas one of the worst interviews I've ever read - and that's a step forward for him.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

As a player/employee I'd rather have a cold and honest manager than a two-faced backstabber who fires you the next day.

I might not like the guy, but I can respect him and know where he stands.