1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com] Film Session Omer Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KDJ3, Jul 24, 2012.

1. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Omer can drop that ass.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I cant imagine asik being much worse then chuck hayes in 2009-10 on offense. Chuck started 82 games that season averaging over 20mpg, i was just fine with him. He didn't do much on O, but it didn't bother me. Only thing that bother'd me was him being only 6'6, well with asik we fixed that problem ;)

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Asik reminds me a of a mobile mark eation. He just takes up lots of space. I like the acquisition.

4. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

Hack an Asik?

1 person likes this.
  5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If Asik has stamina problems because his motor knows only the 5th gear, he will have to pick his spots to be a successful starter. We need him to play 28-30 minutes.

6. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

[​IMG]

Asik's splits on basketball-reference.com.
    during heavy minutes he rebounds extremely well, and he averages 2 blocks per game when ever he plays more than 30 minutes. his rebounding and defense should translate over when he begins starting, his offense won't be that great though. he will get majority, if not all, of his points off of putbacks. that's fine with me!

afterall, this is an upgraded version of Chuck Hayes.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Nobody said that haha. Chuck may be the best one on one big man defender in the league right now, he beats asik by that by far. Asik is a overall downgraded version of chuck hayes who is 6'11 and can block shots. So they probably will be about even when it comes to there effectiveness on the floor. 8 mill for a 26 y/o 7ft'er with the same effectiveness as chuck on the floor isn't too bad though.

8. devin23

devin23 Member

1 person likes this.
  9. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Yep you are looking at a Chuck Hayes/Ben Wallace/Dikembe Mutumbo/Marcus Camby defensive style player. It's not like he is getting a max contract or needs to play like he deserves one to be worth the money. He is getting average starting center money and as long as he plays average or better he will be a solid addition. People seem to forget that there was a long stretch of seasons when Chuck Hayes couldn't even be counted on to make a lay up when Tmac passed him the ball and he was wide open, and he improved considerably by the time he left the Rockets. Asik may always be the 5th option on offense, but if the defense is strong enough then that can work out fine.

10. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

I'm expecting Asik to offer zero in terms of post up offense, spot up shooting, etc... But what I'm wondering (hoping) is that he can somehow be effective offensively in PnR with Lin- somewhere in the neighborhood of Tyson chandler in that regard. You guys think that's a stretch?

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

In time I see him being on a level of Tyson Chandler right now he's Calvin Cato give us our money back this is H-Town!!!

12. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I expect that the coaching staff will be working with him extensively on just that, whether we see results from those efforts or not is questionable. Really that 25 mil is for his defense and potential, any offense would just be icing on the cake.

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Fans imploring Morey to get a rim protector for the last 3 years. Now that he does, fans are b****ing he is no Hakeem.

Guys, Asik is coming here to be the rebounding, shot-blocking, defensive menace we haven't had since Deke retired. If you think this can be had in the cheap, Morey would have done it already. SMDH....

1 person likes this.
  14. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

I'm loving the signing more and more! he's got GREAT ACTIVE footwork defensively for such a huge guy..he does remind me of an Mark Eaton with better footwork! Can't wait to see how he blends in with our current roster...the main issues I see are foul trouble and stimina, which are both fixable. Love it because he finishes so strong around the rim...but from what I've seen can finish with both hands pretty well around the rim too..

1 person likes this.
  15. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

Ill be honest. Didnt know much if any about this guy prior to acquisition. But after looking at vid clips. The thing that stands out the most is how mobile he is. Especially his lateral movements. At first i was hesitant on the signing. Now i see what they are paying for, a 7 footer who can move and play D.

16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Notice how every single one of those clips were against the other team's starters.

1 person likes this.
  17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Rebounding shot blocking menace... Lol 6 fouls. He still has a lot to learn he is a project especially if the guys around him are average to below average defenders. What makes me smdh is the fact in 21 playoff games the past two years he averaged 1.7 points, 2.8 rebounds with 33.3 free throw percent shooting... and Kevin McHale is his coach now not Tom T. It's going to take a team effort and lots of patience for each player and coach on this team.

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

He looks good in the clips, but I fear for how refs will call him as a rocket. If fouls are already a problem, increased minutes, and moving here, will not help. Just my two cents.

Expect it to be an issue. Maybe not a dealbuster, but could be uphill for a while until he finds the balance between hustle and the bench.

19. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Do you think Rockets are called for more fouls than other teams?

20. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Asik is among the best defending 5 on the League...
    "The Bulls allowed about 95 points per 100 possessions last season and rebounded about 32 percent their own misses, both top-three marks. They have been neck-and-neck with Boston over the last two seasons as the league’s stingiest defense. That defense and their offensive rebounding have reached historically nutty levels with Asik and Gibson together. With those two on the floor last season, the Bulls rebounded 35 percent of their misses and yielded an astounding 86 points per 100 possessions. That defensive mark would be the best in league history by a long shot — so good that no team could possibly sustain it over a full season."