1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com] Film Session Omer Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KDJ3, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Have watched over 100 Bulls games the last 2 years.

Asik is an elite defender and his sheer size and hustle can disrupt teams. He has a very long reach, with quick defensive feet and is strong enough to push even the strongest offensive centers out of position.

He does have difficulty playing heavy minutes because at times he is foul prone and gets winded because he hustles non stop.

He has poor hands and his offense has regressed the last 2 years in large part because the Bulls have not worked with him on it. He is a terrible free throw shooter as well. He is not entirely useless on offense, because he is an absolute beast at setting picks and is very active. He has the potential to improve greatly on offense.

I think that it was a costly, but smart signing by the Rockets. Omer is one of the 2-3 best center defenders in the NBA. His sheer size and relatively quick feet make him special.

I think he is very capable of playing 28-30 minutes a night and get 10-11 rebounds and 2 blocks a night with 6-8 points.

Defensively the Rockets will be a far better team.

3 people like this.
  2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I'd love to see JVG coach this team. Asik and Parsons are right up his alley.

3. Jakej90

Jakej90 Member

Damn he has really quick feet. That's the first thing that stood out. LOL at Gasol trying to iso from the 3 point line

4. Trackball

Trackball Member

Wait...what?

How can a team be 7 to 8 points per POSSESSION better with him?

Per quarter or per game, maybe, but per possession? You can only get up to 4 points in a possession, assuming no technicals.

Or maybe I'm grossly misunderstanding how that stat works, and kevC is right...can anyone help?

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Sorry, I meant 100 possessions defensively. Two big omissions on that statement. I'm off my game today... haha

6. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Thanks for the insight, that's encouraging to hear.

7. Trackball

Trackball Member

Ahh, sorry about that. Thanks for clearing that up.

I've made many mistakes just like that...it makes me wish we could edit posts without being a Contributing Member, but I do understand why Clutch has this system in place (too easy to abuse otherwise).

8. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Which leads me to think...

With Parsons and Asik primarily being relied upon to defend, Lin and Lamb will presumably be giving the most offensive production at about 15 ppg each (complete guess). With Parsons hovering around 10 ppg and Asik anywhere from 6-10, is the Power Forward position due for most of the shots per game? Even with the overstated abundance of the position on our team, it still seems odd to me that without an elite talent at PF that that would be the position taking the most shots in McHale's PnR offense. PPat, Donuts, Royce White, and Terrence Jones will all get plenty of opportunity to shine, however.

This is all predicated on the notion that KMart will be out of town, of course ;)

9. fkc20

fkc20 Member

i like Asik! welcome to Houston

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets go to into season more or less like they are, I see a ton of PG-PF pick and roll opportunities. I expect the PF sport will account for about 25 ppg between starter and backup.

1 person likes this.
  11. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

What's there to wonder, you can't play him and Noah together bc you'd be playing 3 vs 5 offensively, so even when boozer was out you had to play taj gibson. Look reallistically, Gibson,Boozer,noah,Asik are all starter quality and they were packed into 1 team with 96 front court minutes available per game. When you pay Noah and Boozer $25M+ combined annually, you have committed to them and they must play that's it, doesn't mean asik can't play, just means Noah can and was probably slightly better

12. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

That was a really well done breakdown.

13. Omron

Omron Member

He looks like a stiff! He's always late it seems but compensates for it with his length. He's also 26 years old? Nobody can improve their offensive game to a respectable level at that age. I still like this signing because you do need a defensive anchor in the middle specially when you have a PG like Lin but I just don't see him as starter material.

14. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I may sound real picky, but his stat rankings don't blow me away. 69th percentile or whatever against the other team's 2nd stringers? After all the hype, I just expected better - not what I call elite. Tell me I'm missing something...

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

He was better than 69th percentile overall. On average it sounds like he was in about the 80th percentile.

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

how amazing is his footwork!

just follow his movement, incredible for such a tall guy.

17. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

I will give Morey the benefit of the doubt since he has proven to uncover unknown players that turn out to be undervalued (Lowry, Dragic, Scola), I am VERY SKEPTICAL about this guy. I think this one might blow up in Morey's face (I hope I'm wrong), but I'm just not that impressed with what I see.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That dude is a cross between a penguin and a praying mantis. He's got a great low center of gravity. And he uses his hand defensively to disrupt everything, the shot the pass, not to mention his footwork.

19. WNBA

WNBA Member

This guy is a stiff.

20. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Not to mention that it was in the Bulls' best interest to put a leash on Gibson & Asik to keep their price down. If they had featured either of them over Boozer, they could easily net another 1-3 million per year on their next contracts. Someone offering Asik 24mil probably never entered their minds.