1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[rockets.com] Dawson and the Rockets Look Ahead

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Outlier, May 17, 2006.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Dawson_and_the_Rockets_Look_Ah-179195-822.html

A good read.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

So, are these 2 exceptions SEPERATE from the MLE? If so, that's quite a relief.

3. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

They're just trade exceptions. They can't be used to sign players.

4. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

What exactly is a trade exception? Like what can you do with it?

5. ClutchCityReturns

Oh...I was under the impression that they could be used to acquire players in some way, hence Dawson's comment about them being vital to teams that are over the cap.

EDIT: I think I get it now.

#5 ClutchCityReturns, May 17, 2006
    Last edited: May 17, 2006
  6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

You can acquire players with a TE. You trade it, straight up, to other teams for players. So let's say Philly wants to dump Steven Hunter's salary. They can either trade for a 2nd round pick (unguaranteed contracts) or for our trade exceptions. We get the player, they dump the salary. We got Mike James with a TE two seasons ago because Milwaukee was trying to get cap space that summer.

7. ClutchCityReturns

Got it.

Does my scenario above apply as well?

EDIT: Removed my scenario, which doesn't work!

#7 ClutchCityReturns, May 17, 2006
  8. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

No, it can't be combined with anything. Only a straight-up trade.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I don't want to sound like i'm reading too much into is but hasn't the prevailing thought been we will have to dip into the MLE to bring over V-Span then attempt to use the remaining MLE to sign another player? This article makes it sound as if we will target one individual player with the MLE, as we did last off-season with Swift.

Maybe its possible for us to bring over V-Span without touching the MLE? That certainly would be nice.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

minimum salary (exception) would be the only way?

11. Panda

Panda Member

According to other posters, we don't have an LLE this year. :(

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

rockets don't need another scrub or older player.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

CD often let's the trade exceptions simply expire, so I will not hold my breath that we are actually going to use them, but I hope we do.

DD

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I've been contradicted about the trade exceptions before, and maybe will again (even in this thread?), but I'm pretty sure the TE can work as such:

For example, pretend we're trading for a player making 10 million next year.

We don't have 10 million dollars worth of players that we can trade without completely gutting our depth.

But we can use the 4.2 mil TE from the Mooch trade. We can trade away approximately 5.8 million worth of players (say, Stromile and Luther) and use the TE as well. (I say "approximately" because I'm sure you can still be within 15% of matching the salaries, even using the trade exception).

The trade exception might come in really handy if we trade for that much-needed "third option".

15. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

You can't trade a TE with any players involved and (from what I understand) you can't combine TE's. Now, there are ways around these rules like the Mike James trade for instance. It was actually two trades I believe - TE for Hamilton, Gaines for James. or vice-versa.

16. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure you can't combine TEs with your own players in a trade. We'd have to have a $10 M trade exception to get someone else's $10 M per year player...

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I have seen different answers from very reliable sources. Here is my take...

We all agree that a TE can't be used to sign FA's. Where it gets a little hazy is the part the says "it can't be combined with any other exception". Obviously then, we can't use a Mid-Level Exception of $5m and a TE of of $4.2m to trade for a player worth $9.2m. All of that is easy and logical.

The combination part I mentioned above is in reality "can't be combined with any other exception to obtain a single player". That means we could use the APE (Assigned Player Exception now up from +/- 15% to +/- 25% in the current CBA) to obtain a single player and then use the 4.2m TE on another player as part of the same deal. (As others have mentioned, that is the logic behind Reece Gaines for Zendon Hamilton and Mike James).

This is where intelligent people disagee. If you don't use the +/- 25% APE, can you use exact salaries + the TE to obtain a single player? IMHO, yes...but I have seen contrary arguments.

It should go without saying that any unsigned draft picks have $0 worth of salary trade impact.

#17 GATER, May 17, 2006
  18. rocketsinsider

can we combine the TE with another player for a trade? Or mabey a sign and trade?

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

All fans should take note of this!!

20. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No. The TE can only be used for a single player. See GATER's post above if you would like to add to your level of confusion on this subject.

;)