1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com] - Chandler Parsons reminding us of Shane Battier...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by azoghbi, Feb 21, 2012.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Parson is no Battier. He's a coordinated Ryan Bowen, the dirk stopper.

2. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Parsons has the body frame, with a couple of offseasons, to bulk up without losing effective quickness on defense and develop his game with his back to the basket along with consistent shooting. In the long run, he's just too skilled and tall to float around the 3 point line like Battier has done.

3. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

Well, Kobe thinks he's the best player in the league today, that's for sure. Me, I just see a low-efficiency chucker whose best days are behind him. I don't even think he's a top 10 player anymore.

4. hahachui

hahachui Member

I just hate to see Parsons missing 2 free throws in a row when he got fouled.

Apart from it, I am pretty impressed!

5. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

I really, adamantly, thoroughly disagree. How many Lakers games do you actually watch? For people who think he's purely a volume shooter, he has more points per shot than Tony Parker, Duncan, Melo, Scola, Amare, Granger, and a litany of others... He has a proclivity to shoot too much in spurts, but for a better portion of most games he tries to be a facilitator. You will see him with first halves of 4 points quite often, and he still is barely above his career assist average.

I believe the real difference with him this year is having a moron for a head coach that gives him the ball out top far too often. In the past, we're used to seeing Kobe post up quite a bit (a la Jordan) when 2s played on him. This year he seems to be going out top for a high screen-and-roll on over half their plays. Sometimes he initiates from the wing for a mid S&R, but he seems to have the ball in his hands a ridiculous amount compared to past years of watching them play.

I will say as an addendum to my statements that I am a won-over Kobe fan. I hated him until that woman in Denver brought a **** storm of negative media on him and his personal life with what seemed to be a horrible story that an overzealous prosecutor took on for his own celebrity. The way he handled it and played incredibly during that streak was impressive. I don't know the whole story, but none of us do and I dislike the media dragging guys' personal affairs through the mud.

6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

IF he didnt attract premier players when he was in his prime, why would he attract premier players now?

7. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Member

Lol, exactly. the algorithm goes like this:

Clutchfans (article about improving rookie) = trade thread where we trade away 5 players for an overpaid, aging super star.

8. ManOnfire

ManOnfire Member

Don't forget Stephen Jackson lol

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Is Chandler our best defender?? Starting to look like it.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another sweet performance tonight ... Chandler's emerging as an elite defender and he's shooting the 3 much better this month.

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

i think that parson's is similar to battier but also quite different. he can work on his shooting and his defense is impressive for a rookie. but the major thing is that he can drive. He can finish and create much better than Battier, and much better in the future when people respect his shot also. He has higher potential than Battier.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Is there really another candidate? The only other guys would be Dalembert the inconsistent guy and Lowry, who needs to exert a lot of energy on offense.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah. He's been shooting the three almost as well as his free throws, of late. ;)

1 person likes this.
  14. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

McHale mentioned Chandler Parsons' versatility as a defender during the 76ers postgame saying he can guard 2's, 3's, and 4's.

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I think he has more potential than Battier had. Will likely end up somewhere around the same as Battier and Bruce Bowen.

16. durvasa

Did anyone before this season project Parsons to be a plus-defender?

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You know exactly how McHale regards Parsons as a defender when he has him chasing around Monte Ellis. Is there another 6'10" guy in the league that you would even attempt that with?

18. jocar

jocar Member

He locked down Iggy to only 11 pts. tonight aswell

19. durvasa

Also how McHale regards Martin as a defender.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

CP is more like Chuck Hayes than Battier.