1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets coaches deserve more than lazy criticism from fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 4, 2012.

1. allaroundplayer

Have you ever seen Kobe Bryant play?

2. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Harden is averaging one less assist per game than Lin is, neither of them are selfish players. Harden looks to score because that is his job, he's the SG and Lin is the PG.

Are you new to basketball?

3. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

If i were myself version from a few years ago I would be hardly tempted to say: " You'r plain wrong!" However I am now more mature person...

But nevertheless, the fact is that there is no such an animal called basic elements of coaching that are universally understood, that would be applicable in all situations without there being some exceptions... You are probably heard of expressions 'the exception that confirms the rule' or 'to every rule there is an exception'...

Powerful masters in any area of human endeavor will sometimes make decisions that are counter-intuitive and that decisions often will make key difference...perhaps if you look into your very area of expertise in your life, on job etc, you may become aware of sometimes acting contrary to common sense and 'universally accepted norms'...

This is such a basic fact of the life....:cool:

Also there is a such thing as tactical and strategic surprises where you purposefully make a move different than expected, to confuse the opponent....at the and of the day, all the great men sometimes go with they intuition rather than common sense, and that is in fact what makes them great, and not the following of universally accepted....

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I remember bandwagoners claiming Rudy T was not a good coach. He was a just a good guy likeable player coach who got players to play hard like that was nothing.

So and so and so and so coach were always so much better.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Of course not. But you can't tell me with a straight face that coach bashing in general on this board, whether it's McHale, JVG, Adelman, or Rudy T, are grounded in a lot of facts.

I don't think it's sensible to criticize McHale for NOT playing Jones. And certainly not for the reasons stated in my OP. Just like, for example, I can see an argument for voting for a certain president, but not because of stuff like Swift Boat, birth certificate, lapel pins, etc.

Didn't direct my thread at you. Mostly on the multitude of redundant threads on the first page of this board.

6. rock34

rock34 Member

I don't know about Mchale as an X's and O's guy (specifically offensively, not so much defensively) but the one thing I do like about him is the no nonsense approach he seems to give off. I pick this certain attitude up from his responses in interview and just in general as to how he coaches the young ones.

Marcus Morris is a great example. It just seemed to me that because he was the number one draft pick he almost thought he was entitled for playing time last year. He even seemed to pout for a little bit but eventually he understood that he needed to earn his time. This in the long run will help him be a better player for himself and Rocket fans. This is the exact attitude that we need for the moment with so much youth.

Specifically for young guys like a Terrance Jones who because of a good preseason might think he deserves playing time or even a D-Mo who with a cocky attitude might wan't think he is better that everybody else just because of his skill set.

Now as I mentioned before, Mchale offensive philosophy is questionable but you are not always going to get the best of everything you want in head coaches. Just for the record I do like his approach to defense, I like his approach to make people earn their way on the court, and I believe his offensive concepts are a comparable price to pay for the other two things.

Besides he is relatively young as a coach and has room to improve in all aspects. Look at Scott Brooks, I believe that the Thunder's latest playoff runs have definately help him grow as a coach.