1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets coaches deserve more than lazy criticism from fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 4, 2012.

1. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

Yo yo yo....McHale be a bad coach - aww yea foo.

2. mclawson

mclawson Member

I really think the nickname, "McFail" is in the top ten pejorative nicknames of all time. It's amazingly clever that some people have worked out that "Hale" and "Fail" rhyme. The added bonus of the "Mc" in front makes it sound like he would have issues even being a fast food worker. It's just so...droll.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I fail to see why it would be so difficult to understand the difference between constructive criticism and pointless criticism. Then again, this is the internet. So I don't know everyone's ages. If there are a bunch of a 5th graders here, then I take my statement back. These kids can just say McHale sucks just because the Rockets lose a game.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

But criticisms like this goes against common sense. Just look at it from different angles.

Development: Our rookies are on a 4yr low-salary scale. There's plenty of time to have them develop in practice and through watching games. Patterson though has 2 years left before his rookie contract runs out. Morris, 3 yrs. Aldrich, 1 year. And if he succeeds he can easily be traded for a low 1st round pick like Hill did last year. Probably a better picks since he's a legit center. There's no reason to rush the rookies, but quite a few to see just how good Patterson/Aldrich/Morris are. Hence, makes more sense to develop our "older" players.

On Court Chemistry: Players who have been with the Rockets longer, understand McHale's system better, are more likely to have chemistry on the court.

Off Court Chemistry: Do you honestly want the players to think we're tanking? Honestly? How do you have your youngsters develop if not even their coach wants to win? Because then they become Ricky Davis, talented, out of control, and horrible for a winning team. Playing time should be based on ability. If players better than you are sitting on the bench, and Patterson/Morris are better than our rookies, they become entitled and would not work as hard.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

not calling a time out on the last play in the 4th told me that mchale is ****. If you have a timeout available and its a tied ball game and you have possession , you call a timeout! Because then you can at least tell Harden if a play isn't eventuating play to your strengths and take that ball to the rack, instead of settling for a three. I dunno if any of you noticed but there was space behind the guy defending harden at the end.

6. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Good post, good thread.

While Mchale wasn't my first choice as a head coach I am more than willing to give him some time with this new team to see how he does and not just jump on him every time something isn't just perfect. I wasn't happy about Morris getting the start but I was wrong. Imagine that a hall of fame player knew better than me, who would have thought that. :)

I'm sure he will play the rookies in due time and I know when they do play that the will be foaming at the mouth to get out there and will bust their ass.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I'm glad o see this thread. As far as I can see some original folks who declared McHale a bad coach and then had all the mindless followers jump on like they know more than any ordinary fan. I guess it makes them feel smart or perhaps accepted to jump in.

An interesting example of group think or following the herd.

BTW as an ordinary fan I don't know if McHale is a particularly good or bad coach. I just hate to see evidence free repeating that he sucks.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You just didn't differentiate much between what is 'constructive' and 'pointless' criticism. I hope it's not just whatever you agree/disagree with.

If I post that T Jones should have seen some playing time (a sensible position which you derided as lazy), I'm sure you can provide the factual counter-argument you seek in that same thread, instead of starting this thread.

Edit: As a matter of fact you would struggle to find a single post of me complaining about McHale in any thread - but I resent threads like this that try to label entire portions of the board for having a certain opinion.

#48 napalm06, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

For those of you that would rather praise or wait for McHale - great. I'm basically on your side. I'm not exactly leading the charge to throw McHale out of town. But speaking of 5th graders, the very first idea expressed in this thread is that 'coaches work really hard' so in order to criticize them, so should you... Let me bust out my crayons so I can write that down.

1 person likes this.
  10. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Another ridiculous thread where the OP states that "so and so works sooooo hard and fans are being lazy in their criticism." The OP should have included the leave Brittney alone youtube video along with his simplistic commentary in his original post. Here's a fact: McHale's coaching career has been a failure. There's no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt on anything.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good post.

I am not a McHale hater either. But to suggest that we fans should work as hard as the coaches is ridiculous. It's their job to work hard. They get PAID to work hard. We are fans. We PAY to get entertained by what they do.

It's like asking the movie goers to work as hard as the director before they can say, "This movie sucks."

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I personally have never criticized a coach. I just assume (and rightly so) that coaches and their staffs have so much more information available than I do. Which means that I am not qualified to criticize. I have extensive youth coaching experience, and talking about the players with their moms is something I became very good at. That has got to be like NBA coaches hearing about complaints from the b****y, know nothing fan base.

However, if I were a Lakers fan I would be b****ing up a storm.

#52 jtr, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  13. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Who knew McHale was getting coaching tips from Wiz Khalifa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWHNr0BrNgo

14. AbrahamLincoln

I agree with everything you have said. People want to see offensive sets run to perfection with Harden being the focal point even though he has seen 3 practices and doesn't understand the schemes put in place during the preseason. With some people there is not a lot of thought as to why things are playing out the way they are.

15. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

It's too early to judge McHale at this point.

We have a young team that lacks continuity and chemistry, hence all of the turnovers. The more these guys play together the better they will get, if we cut our turnovers in half we win all three of our opening games by 20 points, scary huh?

Turnovers will go down as the season progresses and hopefully Morey pulls the trigger on another deal to get us some front court scoring.

16. scaramanga

scaramanga Member

Except for that failure to Timeout on that last play, I think McHale was doing just fine... I don't expect any rookies to get any playing time yet... Team is still new.. you cannot ignore the recent additions and the more senior players especially for such a young team like this one.

17. allaroundplayer

preseason doesn't mean nothing. it shows where a player is at with their game.
    for example, asik was excellent in the preseason and that has carried over. so based on that, the argument for playing jones because of what he did in the preseason is fair criticism.

i don't think anyone will disagree last night's game was UGLY. the rockets did not deserve to win that game. mchale will be the first person to say fans should not have to watch that display. game to game teams are adjusting to them, but the rockets haven't made adjustments from game to game.

they do not have enough good players offensively on the court. Lin, Parsons and Delfino are struggling to help Harden who also struggled last game. All of them just end up going one on one, or two, or three because asik and patterson are not big threats to score.

patrick patterson played 38 minutes with 0 assists, 0 free throws, 6-16 and only 6 rebounds. he said on twitter he needs to provide more post ups. i don't know about that. i guess mchale is going to give pp and morris time, like 10-20 games, and if they do not produce he will replace them with the rookies.

although, if cook is not going to play, delfino will be the backup 2, so that means jones or white can play backup 3. i can't disagree that the rookies can learn by watching and i hope harden leads the league in scoring, but i think it is going to be hard to play so many players that are not proven consistent reliable scorers or passers at the 4 and 5. teams will concentrate to stop their fast break scoring and make them play half court.

unless Smith or Aldrich surprise everyone, it's just a matter of time before jones d-mo and white will have to come to the rescue and to say fire McHale because of one bad game is silly. he does a great job. the players like him. they play with energy and tenacity, which should not be underrated by any means. i'm sure they will add new plays this week.

18. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

McHale will be a good cheerleader, commentator/announcer, he didn't coach Asik anything so far to my eye-test, still the same o' Asik from last year. But he'll be a good announcer in the future.

19. maximus1234

maximus1234 Member

James Harden is a selfish basketball player that I have ever seen.Whenever he gets the ball he shoots it, never looks at his teammates. Whereas Jeremy always finds his teammates, he care his team more than his own. As far as the game goes, even though Harden scored more point than Jeremy Lin, Lin should have taken the last shoot.

20. allaroundplayer

Asik lost 25 pounds since August.