1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets coaches deserve more than lazy criticism from fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 4, 2012.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Considering how T.Jones was by far our best PF in the preseason you would think he would at least get a few minutes. I don't think that is such an idiotic analysis or conclusion to come up with. Sorry to burst ur lil bubble.

2. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

how about gaining a bit of coaching experience? cant learn coaching from the books or watching TV...:rolleyes:

3. HOU_ROCKETS1

HOU_ROCKETS1 Member

Mchale y u no play the rookies? Jones, D-mo ????

4. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Is that how McHale learned coaching? Wow...

5. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

to me coaching is a lot like riding the bike...and methods for doing it are so sophisticated detailed and sooo personal that almost all the critics is redundant...everybody has his own method how to make a pie and taking a best cooks advice wont guarantee that the meal will be delicious....

another fact is that there are so many unknown variables to an average tv spectator that no critics or advises could be given without a lot of guessing or missing a point....

for example a couch could be forcing some players to play in order to showcase them for trade while tv spectator may be frustratingly expressing his disgust over the coach's blindness to which player is better suited to play on a particular night.... get it?

6. trowa

trowa Member

work hard does not mean talented. talent>hardworking, at least for coaching

7. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

McHael Suxs

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I truly just have to laugh at the criticism of McHale. Nothing to it but ill-informed fans opinions. No facts, comparisons, data or reasoned thought. Just lazy criticism. I can type in "Harden sucks" all day long. It does not mean that my opinion is grounded in any reality.

9. javguy

javguy Member

There's basic elements of coaching that is universally understood i.e. calling a timeout at appropriate times, when to sit an player, when to play the hot hand etc.

Keep in mind that this is a discussion forum, therefore we're all armchair GMs and armchair head coaches as well. McHale is the one making the big bucks so we have expectations of him to at least adopt the fundamental principles of coaching.

10. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Blaming coaches for losses is one of the most common and even cliche thing in all of sports. Anyone who hasn't played organized basketball in their life and is watching the Rockets play their third game of the season while perched on a couch obviously knows more about basketball than a living legend like Kevin McHale, more about personnel evaluation than a SABRE-superstar like Daryl Morey, more about how to handle finances than a billionaire like Les Alexander. How dare you question that, OP! :)

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Coaches are like the players. They are there to be criticized by fans when they are perceived to be doing a bad job. It comes with the job. When you make a living performing in the public, you get praised and criticized in the public.

Are those criticisms always fair? Of course not. When they are not fair, people will come to defend. Back and forth. That's what a sports bbs does.

12. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

You know what was helpful to me, is when I learned that those little audio listen-in segments that they do during national broadcasts are deliberately edited to take out the juicy strategic elements.

In other words, while the nation sees a coach just clap his hands and say "Energy! Energy!", ESPN heard that same coach remind his point guard that his man will usually kick it out if he drives left, that the new power forward they picked up likes to catch the ball on his right shoulder to prep for a drop step, and that the team is going to be playing a zone until the end of the quarter. Also, remember the horns play we practiced.

ESPN has to edit all that substantive detail out of the huddle, obviously, because if they broadcast it, it can affect the outcome of the game.

What it boils down to is that we have no earthly idea what kind of job these men are doing because we are not privy to any information that could responsibly inform those opinions. What you've said is entirely correct. It comes down to our perceptions and little else.

13. rocketsmetalspd

Still too soon for this. I hope the team gels quickly but I can wait this team will be getting better as the season rolls along and it will be fun ride no matter what the future looks bright in H-Town.:)

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

I like this thread. Tired of all the senseless hating going around here. Bunch of babies.

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I really didn't want to blame McHale but after watching last night's game I have too.

You can forgive the overly simple offensive plays because really the team only had two practices before their first games and on the road at that. But not bother to call time outs or use your back ups when it is obvious your starters who played the night before are gassed even to the naked eye isn't something to ignore. Add in the fact that this isn't the first time McHale has shown over reliance on playing his players a lot of minutes and his back ups regardless of abilities glued to the bench, I think criticism is fair until he proves otherwise.

16. ILoveTheRockets

I think 70% of Houston being blacked out for games this season has a lot to do with nobody placing blame on the coaching staff.

17. rockyrhode

rockyrhode Member

Well, Mchales hasn't run anything outside of a few backdoor plays on offense. His rotations are questionable and he doesn't adjust well enough. He also leaves guys in too long at times.

But hey, he is likable

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ha! Kevin McHale does not warrant insightful criticism. We're analyzing McHale not the movie Inception. If you've seen him coach one game you've seen him coach them all. C'mon man.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Such irony. What about your post provides any deep insight or 'data'? How is dismissing everyone's criticism not lazy in itself? We're here to converse, after all. What do you require of everyone else? Is there some right of passage to be able to criticize a coach? Is there a certain analytical procedure that must be followed to be jtr/Meh approved?

If I make the statement "McHale's rotations are suspect and he doesn't use his bench enough", are the games themselves not enough verifiable data for you?

This is just silly.

1 person likes this.
  20. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Someone needs to ask McFail what's it going to take for the rookies to get any minute? Judging by the games so far...it looks like they ain't getting none unless someone is injured. In that case, why even draft the rookies?? If you sit them and not playing them until next year...they're STILL going to be ROOKIE cuz they haven't been playing lol. If McHail doesn't play rookies and only veterans, then why trade away all the veterans and build the team w/ rookies....why not trade for veterans ONLY? LOL

It doesn't make sense. McFail need to go...his coaching and logic is wrong.