1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, Bulls Agree to Mutombo Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Come on they got 3 andwe only got one... do the math they got more, they should have least given us ben Gordon or Hinrich to make it 3 to 2. Seriously, you are absolutely right... How could anyone complain, it was a great trade not only because you're getting rid of players who just weren't going to play for a backup center. But also because your team chemistry well be better by removing players who would spend to much time on the pine and maybe not be happy about it. I would say we aredone for the year and our roster is set.

C-Yao Ming
    C-Dikembe
    PF/C- Juwan Howard
    PF-Mo Taylor
    PF-Weatherspoon
    PF-Padgett
    SF-Jim Jackson
    SF-Boki Nachbar
    SG-Tracy Mcgrady
    SG-Bob Sura
    PG-Tyron Lue
    PG-Charlie Ward
    PG-Reese Gaines(IR)

That's pretty solid lineup... I would rather have Brent Barry instead of Sura and Carlos Arroyo instead of Ward but all in all we have one of the best teams in the league with 2 superstars at the center and sg spots and some great role players everywhere else. We are primed to win a championship.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

basically a NON DEAL to me

we gave away flotsam
    for
    old over the hill Flotsam in a position we need

nothing of great interest

I think DEKE needs to play 12~15 a nite
    at least to spell Yao

Rocket River

3. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I like the trade, only problem for me is it makes my name completely irrelevant. Eddie's insane and Adrian sucks.

4. NURoseBowl

NURoseBowl Member

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Are you kidding? I understand using Howard at the 5 on occasion, but he should not be relied upon to backup Yao. Taylor is completely out of his element at the 5. The guy cannot play under the basket, can't rebound and is an average defender at best. Using either Howard or Taylor at the 5 will only detract from their performance at the 4.

Deke is here for two reasons:

1. To give Yao 10-15 minutes of rest per game.

2. Play defense.

He showed last year that he is capable of doing both.

Regarding Chandler, he has upside, but that is it. He's an injury waiting to happen, plus a cancer. Maybe JVG could get him on the right track, but he would be a risk. For the right price, I would take a gamble on him.

#105 RocketsPimp, Sep 3, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Wilks and Griffin were the Rockets 13th and 14th roster fills last year. And Pike, we have no need for him. Bring on Mt. Mutumbo and we can then call Yao, Mt. Yao. and the two of them together -the twin peaks.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Exactly. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with this deal.

8. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Yeah we got a backup center for nothing :D

plus, getting rid of 3 unecessary players for a useful-and-almost-retiring player is good... because? when deke retire, we are gonna have more salary cap to sum with the TE and finally get a good new player

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously, you though they would solve every position for the longterm in (not even) one summer? I don't want them to do that because the best long-term options are not available all at once. Ward will be a two-year bandaid, most likely as a backup. Sura will be a three-year badaid, as both a starter and a sub. Mutombo is obviously a one-year bandaid.

Also, to everyone putting Gaines on the IR...I read a few places that there will be noIR this year, that teams will be able to have 15 active slots. Sound familar to anyone else?

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Good trade for the Rockets. They shored up a vital need and jettisoned the trash in return. What more could you want? Hinrich? Gordon? Chandler? Yeah, right... and we're gonna trade Gaines for Garnett, too. :rolleyes:

Deke's stats last year:

MPG: 23.0
    PPG: 5.6
    FG%: .478
    FT%: .681
    RPG: 6.7
    BPG: 1.89
    TO/G: .83

For the heck of it, Cato's stats last year:

MPG: 25.3
    PPG: 6.1
    FG%: .447
    FT%: .676
    RPG: 6.8
    BPG: 1.39
    TO/G: 1.22

On paper, both backups are awfully close in stats. Mutombo will make $4,496,000 this year, and Cato will make $7,992,000.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

thacabbage hit the nail on the head, as usual!

I think it's an excellent trade.

(But I still hope that we make another SPLASH this off-season...maybe with the TE? :)).

12. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Here goes my pipedream :(

[​IMG]

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Good deal. We simply got the backup C we needed and got rid of some players that would never see the court anyway.

14. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

No one has mentioned the financial specifics of this trade; I was wondering if anyone could analyze it from this point of view?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Pike is not a nobody, heck I would say he alone is better than Mutombo, espcially considering he is a 40% career 3pt shooter, and that is something this team desperatly needs.

I don't know about this trade, It is essentially Pike for Mtbo.......

I would rather have Pike but I get that he may not play......

However, last year he was injured, and did not fit on a Steve Francis dominated team.

Pike would fit beatifully with his cutting/slashing and 3pt shooting style on this years team.

Ah well...que cera cera.

DD

16. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

cutting/slashing ?!@?!?! :confused:

are you talking about Pike or Boki ?!?!

wait you added "3pt shooting" must be Pike....my bad :rolleyes:

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I really hope that Boki can have a break-through year.

JVG is not really known for "making stars", he seems to totally prefer to work with established players and does not seem to really develop people...I think to be able to call yourself a great coach, this would be something you would have to be able to show on your resumé, because it would mean that you have contributed to creating value.

Prove that you can do that with Boki, JVG.

18. cody

cody Member

Great trade... 3 players who might not have gotten off the bench the entire season for a washed up verteran that can still rebound and alter shots.

I agree with this trade..

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Made perfect sense. Let's tip this thing off.

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

While I wasn't for Mutombo because he's slow and getting slower, he was the best that was readily available. Ostertag didn't want to play for us. Clark is coming off a bad injury and is pretty light for the C spot. Cambell would have been nicer, but who's to say that we could have worked out a deal to get him. I resigned to the fact that Mutombo might be the only decent back-up that was realistically available to us.

Pike, Griffin weren't going to play. Wilks wouldn't even be on our roster since we already have a possible 4 pgs signed. I'm most surprised that CHI took these players since they already have way too many and can only really use Pike. I guess they were that desperate.

I never saw us using the TE so I can't say I'm disappointed there. I saw that trade (Rice + our 1st rounder + 2 (CHI) 2nd rounders + cash for John Amaechi - an overwieght, deadbeat, team cancer) as a bad trade to save Les some money. I don't think you should ever trade draft picks to save money unless it's to get under the cap for a future FA signing. To me that shows that the owner is more about saving and making money, than the future of his team. It wasn't a make or break deal, but it does set a very bad precedence. You can be prudent with you're roster money without trading picks to save money.

As far as the money saved goes - even with Mutombo and Lue off the books, we will still be over the cap next year so I wouldn't be looking for big signings next year. And if we do let them walk - which I'm sure we will Mutumbo, we'll be down to 3 pgs (1 of whom we've yet to see if he's NBA material) and 1 C. But - let's take this 1 year at a time and see how this new team does.

Count me as cautiously optimistic with the latest signings and trades but ready to route the Rockets on another year. With TMac and Yao - this should be fun.

#120 ArtV, Sep 3, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2004