1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, Bulls Agree to Mutombo Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

from The Chronicle
    For anybody who can't understand why it is important to deal honorably with players and agents, see what I've highlighted in bold.

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Sorry. The only one available is Joey.

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

I don't get it, is Mutumbo still alive??

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BTW Pre-Cambrian Mt. Mutombo at backup center is still better than MoT as backup center.

5. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Who?

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

so is this the rosters now

PG- Sura, Lue, Ward
    SG- TMac, Gaines
    SF- JJax, Boki
    PF- Howard, Mo, Spoon, Padge
    C-- Yao, Deadfingerwaver

well i think we can clearly say we have now added veterans around Yao and TMac

7. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

We were one of the youngest teams in the last two years. Are we one of the oldest teams now?

8. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Any way we could maybe trade Lue +Spoon to ATL for a TE now?

They need players to fill the roster and have ton of cap, and neither guys bogs down the cap with a ton of years.

9. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

Your depth chart is wrong.

PG - Ward, Lue
    SG - TMac, Sura
    SF - JJ, Boki
    PF - Howard, Mo, Padge, Spoon
    C - Yao, Mut

IR - Gaines

Ward will start at the point.
    Sura will see major minutes at both the 1 and 2.

10. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

THANK YOU!!!!! GREAT TRADE!!!!! GREAT JOB CD!!!

11. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Howard and Taylor would be superior centers to the corpse of Mutombo.

12. Charvo

Charvo Member

Dikembe's elbows will be a deadly force courtesy of some gentle nudging by JVG.

Dikembe is best fit for a team that has a very slow pace. It didn't work out well with the Nets since Dikembe couldn't keep up with the offense. However, the Rockets may have the slowest paced offense in the league besides the Spurs. It's ball control and an efficient offense. It will be a sight to behold when JVG pairs Yao and Dikembe on the floor at the same time. That's some serious paint defense.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's not a bad deal. Wilks isn't going to play and Griffin can't be productive because of his injuries. I wish we could have kept Pike but it's still basically a Pike for Deke deal. I hope we can still get a guy like Boumtje-Boumtje as a 3rd center as well because Deke can go down and he might be able to get some blocks and boards.
    I do think the Rockets are done dealing for the season.

14. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I like this deal, but I doubt we'll ever see that happen outside of the shootaround.

15. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

If we get 4 Points 5 boards 2 blocks out of deke i be ecstatic.

16. Gladiator

Gladiator Contributing Member

I guess this is a good thing, right? The contracts of Pike, Griffin and Wilks are more costly than Deke if I'm not mistaken. This will save us a little bit of money, give us the back-up center we need and give Boki more minutes.

Good deal!
    Plus, this is only for the short term.

17. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Mutombo? I don't know man! 5 to 10 min. playing time. I'll get back to you all when i see the first five games, if he can still play!But for now, i'm kind of in a state of shock!!!!!:eek:

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Solid. Maybe Deke can show Yao a thing or two. As big of a buffoon Deke is, he's done some really good things back in Zaire. He's donated millions of dollars over there, and even built a hospital in his hometown.

With Mutombo and Ewing reunited, I think Treasures should set up a permanent VIP room them.

19. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

THE JVG EFFECT

seriously should make a movie on this guy, someone said earlier, one of the youngest teams to one of the older ones. still a little skeptical on the offseason, but i guess it aint too bad at all.

20. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

I really, really enjoy this trade and I'm going to explain my reasons for thinking like this:

1. Mutumbo is a class act.

2. Hall of Fame player... has been Defensive Player of the Year, an all-star.

3. Went to Georgetown University

First let me say that I will miss seeing Pike this year in a Rockets uniform, because I feel that last year was hard for him and didn't get into his swing...he would have really fit our offense perfect this year, but anyways...

Mutumbo will help this club even if he is hurt... If healthy, he can help Yao become a monster for seasons to come...Deke will practice against Yao everyday...and lets not forget Ewing, who is pals with Deke, and who still practices with the team before games...

Can you imagine Yao practices against Deke and then getting on the team bus and showing up to play against Jeff Foster, or Chris Kaman? and the fact that he has played against Shaq numerous times makes it even better...This makes Yao a better player by far...

Great back up for Yao, excellent move for the Rockets...

i feel they deserve an "A" for the offseason moves...

we added a great player in T-Mac and solid veterans to help him and Yao develop into Hall of Fame players...

When we lost Cato we lost our heart and soul of our defensive...Now with this move, we re-establish ourselves as a defensive team again...

Yao AND Mutumbo???

This is wonderful...