1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, Bulls Agree to Mutombo Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I agree it's low-risk - but at the very least Pike doesn't bring anything to the table, while in my opinion, Mutombo - in the words of Bill Simmons - is walking away with his pockets crammed with salt shakers and spoons.

2. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Well I hope we can still sign a dirt cheap center to have on the roster just in case Deke goes down with an injury.

3. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I'm curious as to why you might feel that way and what you have in mind as what they would do.

4. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

cornell could be a nice 12th man

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Interesting that our trade exception is still in tact, Padgett resigned, and the deal coming on the heels of the day Juwan Howard could officially be dealt...

However, that's just wishful thinking. If I was a betting man, I'de wager quite a sum that this is the roster you will see come opening day. They have addressed all of their needs without exceeding the luxury tax or acquiring any long term contracts. I think we're done dealing.

6. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Wow...the roster looks like it's going to stick now, but I do hope (like others) that something else has been included in this deal for the Rockets.

One of the TE/Cap experts might be able to point out how this is good for us, besides getting a backup center.

7. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

If we get more than Mutombo for this, then it is a good deal for us. However, if we trade away three guys for one guy, Come on, for a washed up back up...That is a no brainer. Bad move. We'll see

8. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

the point guard position is pretty crowded and wilks especially would have NEVER played unless sura, ward, and lue all went down with injuries.

plus pike and griffin in the deal seems about right

although.... I wonder if it really is just a 3 for 1 deal.

good news at any rate

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

was that wishful thinking or did i miss a thread???

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I agree...this is the team and CD's goin fishing for the rest of September. Not too happy about Les ending doing nothing w/ that TE. The Utah trade basically ended up being a pocket upgrade for him rather than a roster upgrade for the fans. But at least he did use the MLE this summer so he's not a complete cheapass. Of course i woulda much preferred Mike James over Sura/Ward :mad:

11. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Wow, I am a little surprised that some seem to not support the deal so far.

Folks, we threw away the trash. Wilks is not an NBA player. Griffin is also not an NBA player, and he can't even stay healthy, and we saw how inconsistent Pike was.

We need shooters to surround Yao Ming. Wilks can't shoot. Griffin can't shoot, and Pike showed he couldn't make a thing last season. Now, the Rockets can give guys like Gaines a chance because of this trade

What we got was a guy who will give us back-up minutes at the 5. He may be old, but he can clog up the paint, and give us some blocks. Whenever Yao goes to the bench, the other team will still have some degree of fear driving to the hoop against Mutombo.

Wilks, Griffin and Pike don't effect an NBA game. Mutombo can.

12. user

user Member

Motumbo will see more minutes that Wilks, A. Griffin and Pike will see together. It's a good move because the backup center is what we really need. We have other position covered even with the trade.

Now we need more backup center with the TE as Deke will not last 82+ games and our 4's are too small to play backup C.

13. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

I don't get why people don't like this deal. I guess there will always be people who will never be happy no matter what.

We wanted a backup center with limited minutes to backup Yao so we got one. We gave up 3 scrubs who won't be in the rotation this yr for a guy who's contract is relatively small and will expire soon. I just don't see that much risk in this trade. The potential rewards with Deke playing JVG style defense far outweighs the risk.

14. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

we want chandler;)

15. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

If Deke can teach Yao that he can be super nice off the court while super mean on the court, then deke is worth every dollar of his contract already.

16. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

Are we talking about trading starters for a back up center? NO!!

The Rockets just traded three players who may have been released before the season started for a player who will actually play important minutes.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'd rather have monica;)

18. ths balla

ths balla Member

we got rid of trash for a back up that can help us and clogs the paint............yes mutumbo is slow and injury prone cause of age but thats when hes playing 38-30 min. a game...............hes only going to be playing around 15min. so hell be effective without tiring out at the end of the season

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

its a good trade.

not asking for alot from mutombo.

just 15 minutes of work. get maybe 5 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 points.

What was Wilks going to do? Sit on the bench?

20. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I'm against this trade, because at the very least, the very, very least - we gave up three guys who will suck at the end of a bench for a guy who will suck for 10-15 minutes a game on the floor.