1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets bench is weak

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 6thward, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

could've picked up Anthony Morrow who averages more than 7 pts on 45% shooting, 44.7% from 3 pt.

2. Zergling

Zergling Member

You really think Hamilton isn't going to be a part of the rotation? Hamilton should be above Garcia/Casspi in the depth chart.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Our bench is terribly weak, I've been saying it all year. Clippers were able to overcome Griffin's injury because of their depth. Rockets have no depth whatsoever.

Our bench needs a big upgrade this summer.

4. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Weak is an understatement. The Rockets along with the Blazers and Warriors have one of the worst benches in the league among playoff teams in the West. I'd take the Wizards bench over the Rockets. Casspi, Garcia, Hamilton, and Lin all have to go. It's not much of a challenge to upgrade that scrub brigade.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They are LA. They got players to go there cheap!

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

While true, it doesn't mean there isn't a way to upgrade our bench this off-season.

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

DMo had several gimmes at the rim, just couldn't finish. I though the bench moved the ball and got good looks several times but couldn't score.

Casspi and Garcia looked lost, having not played a long time. We should have played Jordan more, but coaches probably thought with Canaan in there, he needed to play with the veterans.

8. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

How about Morey stop collecting all these D-League all stars, and sign some veteran players with experience. We're already young enough as it is .... stop fishing for prospects, we're in a win now mode.

9. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Yep, our bench six.
    That's why losing Bev is such a big blow.

Our short rotation for the playoffs just got shorter...

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Jones
    Howard
    Asik
    Dmo

10. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

I was never a too big of the Casspi signing to begin with. He was pretty much a streaky shooter when he played for the Kings also. he is capable if driving, and cutting to the basket for layups/dunks, but does not do that enough.

11. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Our bench was fine when Greg Smith was healthy, and we had Delfino and James Anderson, and Garcia didn't suck last year.

12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Falls back Daryl Morey. That's why I stop short of calling him the best GM. He's definitely had a few missteps this year

13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

We knew when we signed Dwight that we couldn't afford any other real talent that offseason. We have to be patient here.

However, we have Lin and Asik on our bench, two guys that would be starting for a number of other teams. Motijunas has been playing well, and all of Casspi, Garcia and Hamilton have shown promise. Oh, and Canaan didn't look bad either. We have assets, what we are missing is consistent play from our 4 spot and a consistent scoring threat of the bench (that was supposed to be Lins job).

Our bench isn't that bad - it fails on consistency and in the end it is not finished...

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

I expect that most or all of them will not be here next season and that's including Lin and possibly Asik.

15. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

I expected Lin and Asik to be gone at the deadline. The same reasons they weren't traded are the same reasons keeping them here next season.

16. fattz

fattz Member

It is not our bench it injuries
    Lin, Asik, DMo, & Hamilton is a very solid bench, IMO.

Asik would start for 9/10ths of the team in the
    Linsanity really happened
    DMo is NOW a 2 way
    Hamilton rebounds like a center and shoots like 2 gaurd

17. torocan

torocan Member

Without injuries the bench is solid. Not the best bench in the NBA, but definitely a very good bench.

Take off Asik (your main rim protector) and Lin (your main bench scorer and facilitator) and you get what you saw last night.

Sometimes I think people expect an all star at all 5 starting positions AND on the bench. Teams have limited resources. They make choices. And injuries screw stuff up.

That's life.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Agreed.

The Rockets have hands-down the best backup center in the league in Omer Asik.

Jeremy Lin is a very good backup point guard. Also, to have had both Aaron Brooks (for much of the year) and Isaiah Canaan as additional depth made this a position of strength until recently.

Donatas Motiejunas is a young prospect with high upside (which is different than a similarly productive player with little remaining upside). Sadly, Greg Smith's run of bad luck with injuries has hurt the team's depth at power forward.

Where the Rockets have had problems is at the backup wing positions. Francisco Garcia has really regressed from his level of play in last year's playoffs. Casspi and Hamilton can be inconsistent. And Covington and Daniels just aren't ready yet. Each one of those players makes the league minimum salary (except for Hamilton, who makes a late first round rookie scale salary).

With a fully healthy roster, this team has a solid bench ... at most positions. But I would expect the Rockets to once again address their backup wing spot(s) this summer.

19. noone

noone Rookie

You get what you paid for Jeremy Linn, Omer Asik and and bunch of $1-2 million employees dumped on McHale to develop.

20. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

I think we need some solid veterans off the bench. Most of our bench is too young and inexperienced. Garcia is a vet but has been riding the pine way too much to find a consistent rhythm when he does actually play. Come playoff time I'm afraid they're gonna end up looking like deer in the headlights...God forbid we have any injuries to our starters...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.