1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets bargain hunting now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 3, 2017.

1. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

With the main rotation set I think it would be a good idea to fill the injury insurance spots with young guys who we can develop into sustainable quality backups. Similar to what GSW has/had with Clark, McCaw, Bell, McAdoo, etc. Some time around the vets in the main roster could do wonders for Williams, Oliver, or Taylor.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

I know everyone is tired of this as an answer but Smoov would be the perfect vet back up PF and 4th Center. He fits all the criteria we need: post/perimeter D, passing, 3 range, can rim run, plays above net, board, switching, protects rim AND can be signed for vet min.

topfive, HTX Ninja and Pen15clubber like this.
  3. Voltik

Voltik Member

You missed the one negative that trumps all that...low IQ.

4. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

New Band of Brothers my man. Picture this: Bobby Brown, Carmelo Anthony, and Josh Smith. Your welcome.

pippendagimp and D-rock like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bench guy doesn't have to have the highest IQ. And his IQ is underrated. A low IQ guy doesn't have his passing prowess.

topfive, HTX Ninja and pippendagimp like this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so a good friend of mine has hung out with josh smith over the past year in chengdu. can confirm he's not that dumb, but he does use the "through the roof" line very often

D-rock likes this.
  7. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

If Josh Smith can miraculously regain the form he had when he and Dwight suited up for the Rockets, why not sign him instead of Carmelo Anthony and his huge contract.

Jsmoov over Carmelo all day.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Actually, on this team, they would be "young guys who D'Antoni will never play". Such players would remain inside a metal case on the wall behind a sign: "In case of blowout, break glass."

topfive and jch1911 like this.
  9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Maybe melo gets bought out so we get him from the bargain bin

Cash Cam and Snow Villiers like this.
  10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

You never know...
    [​IMG]

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

problem with melo buyout is that we would not be able to re-up him next year. Something with cap benefits for a trade vs signing. Bima talked about it on the pod cast. I don't want to characterize what he said any further or i'll screw it up. But there are serious advantages for Houston on keeping Melo beyond next year, if we can trade for melo vs sign him.

topfive and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Perhaps before the Moute signing, but with Moute/Tucker/Ariza/Williams and (Anderson or Anthony) we have very little space at the forward positions, or the center position with Clint/Nene/Black (+possibly Onuakau). We also have Qi, Oliver who are combo bigs that might be able to help this season.

The only thing we could use right now, is a backcourt player, who can defend PG/SG's well (T.Allen?), but I feel like we are pretty set with what we got.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This post is literally advocating we choose to sign a guy who can't find a team in the NBA to give him a contract over an NBA all star and a certain hall of famer.

topfive and Pen15clubber like this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Perhaps before the Moute signing, but with Moute/Tucker/Ariza and (Anderson or Anthony) we have very little space at the forward position, or the center position with Clint/Nene/Black. We also have Qi, Oliver who are combo bigs that might be able to help this season.

The only thing we could use right now, is backcourt player depth piece, who can defend PG well incase Paul gets injured, but I feel like we are pretty set with what we got.

15. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I know and that's all I want. We have 10 solid vets already. These spots are just injury backups. We just need someone to take those Tyler Ennis and Bobby Brown minutes last year and for that role I'd rather have a young guy. This dude will be playing against CP3 in practice every day. Ian Clark used to be a bench scrub who only played in blowouts too.

16. craguin

craguin Member

17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'm ok with that. Move as many players to the East as possible.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20. fadeawayjae

fadeawayjae Member

I wish we could get Nikola Mirotic, but I don't think we can afford him.